*** Official INSIDE MAN Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Robert Crawford, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Inside Man" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Inside Man" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

2. Robert Crawford

Robert

I copied this quote from the box office thread and based on the number of people I saw today at the first matinee show, I think this will be Spike Lee's largest box office film. It has everything going for it, a good film, a lot of positive buzz and some top of the line actors that appeal to a cross section of demographics.

Crawdaddy

3. EricW

EricW Cinematographer

wow, no discussion?

i thought this movie was pretty well made. from the opening scene, i thought 'he's still in the bank!' but so much went on that i quickly forgot about it. Jodie Foster played herself but was still a very interesting cinematic 'cleaner'.

most of the times in these movies, you know what's really going on before the reveal, but the good movies are the ones where you're still entertained - like this one.

4. PaulP

PaulP Producer

I never knew he was still inside until he crawled out from behind the Dell boxes. I guess I'm just slow. Or was entertained.

Great film, very well thought out, and acted very well too. The only thing I thought was off was the music over the opening titles - Indian? Not sure, but it sounded out of place.

5. Robert Crawford

Robert

It was different, thus, I really liked it.

Crawdaddy

6. JayDerek

JayDerek Stunt Coordinator

What song was that that played in the opening credits (and again during the closing)? I really enjoyed it

~Jason

7. Kyle_D

Kyle_D Second Unit

Thought it was okay, though I was prepared for something better from the excellent trailer and reviews this has been getting.

Major problem for both my brother and I: if you've seen any heist movie, you can pretty much deduce how the heist is going to go down in the first 20 minutes so there wasn't much suspense. Also, the Nazi-connection McGuffin was kind of lame and the ending seemed to take 7 or 8 scenes to wrap-up what could have been wrapped up in two.

Maybe I'm missing something, but if Clive Owen wanted Christopher Plumber found out and also wanted the money, why wouldn't he have just taken the diamond and left the document? He took all the other diamonds, so it wasn't like he was against taking blood money and leaving the diamond made it so Christopher Plumber was eventually going to be found out anyway. It was pretty clear Jodie Foster (whose role seemed in there merely to advance the plot and advertise Apple products) wasn't going to go after him if he didn't keep the document to himself.

I didn't think it was bad, I was just underwhelmed.

8. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Loved the opening and closing music (Chaiyya Chaiyya), I stayed the entirety of the ending credits for that.

No "ethnic" music is ever out of place for the location.

The movie was entertaining, mostly for the logistics of the heist and the interraction between the leads. Said interrection is what makes the otherwise flat Chris Plummer subplot worth it.

--
    H

9. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Wasn't Jodie Foster's character using a Dell?

10. Adam Sanchez

Adam Sanchez Supporting Actor

No. On her desk was an Apple that had a big ass Monitor most normal people will ever own. I commented to my girlfriend later that her computer in that scene served no purpose at all. She didn't really use it. Just a glorified Apple commercial.

While I am here, one thing I guess I missed was why the robbers dug that hole in the storage room that looked like it uncovered the sewage pipes. Was that just to install something for C.O.'s character to "use" while he hung out behind the false wall?

11. Kyle_D

Kyle_D Second Unit

It literally was a "shit hole" for Clive Owen to use while he stayed in the bank.

As for the Apple commercial, the Apple logo is right smack dead center of the composition in the opening shot of that scene and then when she talks to her assistant, for no reason he walks outside the room so they can talk over Apple's iChat software. I love Apple, and use an iMac, but the product placement in that scene was obnoxious.

12. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Yup. Hence the "shit hole" comment.

--
    H

13. PaulP

PaulP Producer

I liked it as a piece of music myself (I really like this style, in fact). Just seemed very out of place.

14. EricW

EricW Cinematographer

the unoriginal way to do it would have been to dress up as the SWAT guys and blend in while they swept the basement. but that's not realistic as these guys are usually pretty tight-knit and know eachother. and it's been done.

if you notice in the opening credits, the wall he's facing is just a couple feet in front of him, so for a crawlspace that small, it couldn't be a jail cell.

15. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Couldn't agree more. What elevates this movie isn't the heist plot (as many have noted, it's been done), but the rich cacaphony of sounds and voices that the film captures with a perfect ear for the rhythms of contemporary NYC.

The best scenes in the film aren't critical to the bank job; they're the great character moments, like the older woman in the bank who refuses to remove her clothes (and her later interrogation by Frazier and Mitchell), or the scene where Jodie Foster and the mayor greet each other warmly in public and then turn to threats and blackmail the moment the door closes, or the cacaphony of debate that breaks out in the police van over the correct interpretation of Clive Owen's riddle, or Jodie Foster's last line to Christopher Plummer ("We're listing you as a reference").

OK, that last line probably isn't as priceless if you don't know about NYC coop apartments, but that's part of my point: The film manages to give you a minutely detailed portrait of a specific place and time that just happens to use the framework of an old-fashioned bank caper. I don't know how well the film will age, but for this moment, it's a blast of cinematic fresh air.

In the review thread, I saw a couple of references to Spike Lee's "rants". Where, exactly? Spike Lee didn't write the script, and I didn't hear anything that I haven't heard a million times on Law and Order or NYPD Blue. Suspects on cop shows have complained about profiling for years, especially after 9/11. And the tense scene between Washington and the patrolman who uses a perjorative term for Hispanics was just a short version of the drama that NYPD Blue played out repeatedly between Sipowicz and Lt. Fancy. If anything, I'd say Inside Man portrays differences of race and ethnicity as an ordinary fact of everyday life. And that's New York.

M.

16. Robert Crawford

Robert

Yes, I too don't understand the references to "rants", unless, certain racial remarks are considered off limits in a Spike Lee film. It kind of reminds me about similar comments made about "25th Hour", another fine and underrated Lee film that had a film sequence that came out of the source material, but was mistakenly taken by some as written in the film by Spike Lee.

Crawdaddy

17. Kyle_D

Kyle_D Second Unit

I didn't mean to say it's not possible or anything like that, or even unplausible/believable )though as Christopher Plumber was only 15 when WWII ended...) I just thought it was kind of a letdown dramatically after the trailers and the movie itself to an extent built-up this huge shocker of a twist.

I actually liked a lot of the ethnic layers to the film and its racial/social commentary. "I'd rather live to be an old bigot than a dead corpse," was a great line delivered in a fashion that managed to get a point across and spur thought without venturing into Crash-land, where undoubtedly the kid who pulled the gun on the cop would turn out to be the kid in the bank with the PSP, who would then be rescued by said cop. They would then have a moment of recognition, embrace and cry and the movie would win the Best Picture Oscar [​IMG]

18. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Well that it's fact based makes it no guarranty for great drama. I certainly wasn't knocked off my feet by that stunning revelation. Of course whether or not that was the point is arguable.

--
    H

19. EricW

EricW Cinematographer

"i bet you can get a cab though"... "i suppose that's one of the perks" [​IMG]

20. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I didn't say it was. My point was simply that it's not an arbitrary plot device. It's as appropriate to the setting as that opening piece of music you defended. And no, it doesn't "knock you off your feet". As should be clear from what I've said above, I don't think it's supposed to.

M.