What's new

*** Official "INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS" Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Mario Gauci

Senior HTF Member
08/26/09: INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS (Quentin Tarantino, 2009) ***

"The new film by Quentin Tarantino" contains a handful of excellent performances – especially from relative newcomers Christoph Waltz (a Best Actor winner at the Cannes Film Festival, no less) as Landa aka The Jew Hunter and Melanie Laurent (who plays Shosanna) that makes one look forward to their reappearance on the screen. Typically for the director, there are a couple of masterfully staged and lengthy confrontation sequences (read talkfests): the very opening with the French farmer vs. the Jew Hunter; the one in which Shosanna is invited to have lunch with Josef Goebbels; and the entire "German Night in Paris" sequence – including both the sudden eruption into violence and the Basterds' negotiation with the sole enemy survivor of the massacre (which, taking place mostly off-screen, is the only time I really liked Brad Pitt’s character – more on this later on). Surprisingly enough for a Tarantino movie, there is a comparative understatement in the depiction of violence and the end result is, thankfully, much less of a macho gung-ho experience than I was anticipating. Having so much of the dialogue spoken in the proper language (be it English, French or German) was a bold touch – given that Tarantino's trademark had previously been his reams of “oh-so-cool” dialogue. Besides, the idea of having the Third Reich destroyed by highly flammable nitrate film prints of (ostensibly) their own Nazi Propaganda movies is, admittedly, a brilliant one. Despite its obvious anachronism, I found the use of David Bowie’s “Puttin’ Out The Fire” – originally written for the soundtrack of Paul Schrader's 1982 remake of CAT PEOPLE – playing over the sequence of Shosanna making herself up before shooting her own little holocaust of a movie – to be quite inspired. Lastly, I also liked the camera angle chosen for the film’s final shot in which Pitt utters the unprophetic, “I think this might just be my masterpiece”.

Alas for Tarantino, despite the eight-year-long gestation, INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS is far from his masterpiece. In fact, for all its admirable qualities, I found it to be a deeply flawed film: firstly, the performances of Brad Pitt (as Lt. Aldo Raine – clearly a tribute to actor Aldo Ray, a veteran of several solid war movies for the likes of Raoul Walsh and Anthony Mann) and Eli Roth as the most prominent of the Basterds are, quite frankly, terrible; Pitt's Southern drawl is extremely annoying and Roth's over-the-top characterization as “The Bear Jew" is downright obnoxious. Despite the grandiose title, the Basterds here are a pretty anonymous bunch – a far cry from the first casting rumors of John Travolta, Bruce Willis, Sylvester Stallone and Arnold Schwarzenegger! Hell, even penny-pinching supremo Roger Corman came up with a much more decent cast for his own WWII commando movie, THE SECRET INVASION (1964)!

Furthermore, the cameos of Rod Taylor (as, for cryin’ out loud, Winston Churchill!) and Mike Myers (as General Ed Fenech! – obviously a tribute to, of all people, Edwige Fenech!) are simply ludicrous and the scene itself in which they both appear – which shows the Allies engaging a former film critic/ historian to go undercover during the upcoming Nazi premiere – a pointless one; indeed, I strongly doubt that film historians even existed at the time (much less published)! Tarantino's penchant for name-dropping reaches a new low here, too: Charles Chaplin (lest we forget, he had ridiculed Hitler in THE GREAT DICTATOR [1940]), Rene` Clair (he sought refuge in Hollywood before the Nazis occupied France) and G.W. Pabst (he fled from Germany once the Nazis came to power) were all, so to speak, in the Third Reich's black books at the time...therefore, it seems highly unlikely to have Nazis talking about them, using them in their childish word games and allowing posters of their movies to be hung up on the marquee of a movie theater! Besides, how would a very young German soldier know who Max Linder even was (given that the French comedian had committed suicide twenty years before)? Moreover, why would a poster for a three-year old movie – Henri-Georges Clouzot’s L’ ASSASSIN HABITE AU 21 (1941) – still be hanging in a theater lobby in 1944?!

However, the most embarrassing gaffe might well come as an insult to the director’s own ‘mentor’ on this movie: Enzo G. Castellari, the director of the original 1978 Italian film that supposedly inspired Tarantino's! In fact, while Eli Roth poses as “Antonio Margheriti” (for the uninitiated, the name of another prolific Italian genre director), Brad Pitt erroneously calls himself Enzo Gorlomi (instead of Girolami which is Castellari's real-name) – even though Castellari himself is present as an extra in the very same sequence!! Maybe Castellari did not dare correct Tarantino or perhaps he was fine with Tarantino's artistic license in redubbing him Gorlomi? He sure seemed happy enough to bask in Tarantino's supposed adulation for his work when I saw him at that aforementioned retrospective during the 2004 Venice Film Festival!

As usual, Tarantino keeps shoving the music of his favorite movies down our ears despite their incongruity (being mostly Westerns in a WWII context); unfortunately, most of the time this distracts the viewer more than anything else e.g. I thought the music used for the shoot-out in the projection booth was effective but, while the tune sounded familiar to me, I could not quite place it! Is a viewer supposed to have these kinds of thoughts in his head during such a pivotal scene? Bafflingly enough, the actor playing Hitler looks and acts nothing like his historical counterpart (but, in a bizarre sort of way, this makes Tarantino's rewriting of history – apparently, it was The Bear Jew who killed Hitler! – more palatable)! But, then again, why conventionally shoot The Fuehrer and not maul him to death with a baseball bat (as per The Bear’s notorious modus operandi)? The scene were Hans Landa lunges murderously at the German actress-double agent (decently played by Diane Krueger) creates the right frisson, true, but is thoroughly uncharacteristic of the level-headed and even sympathetic personality he had displayed so far; this sudden change strikes a distinctly false note when coming so soon before Landa’s own defection to the enemy! Additionally, the Fredrick Zoller biopic having the all-important premiere is shot in a much more kinetic style than was current at the time!

Despite my own personal feelings towards the man himself, Tarantino’s latest opus is, undeniably, a marked improvement over his previous film, DEATH-PROOF (2007); not a great movie overall, mind you, but it does have a couple of peerlessly superb set-pieces and fine performances. Still, when one comes right down to it, I wonder how having a movie entitled INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS (was Tarantino's quaint misspelling of the name an effort on his part to further distance himself from Castellari's modest original?) in which the sequences featuring the titular bunch are not only the weakest therein but occasionally quite excruciating to watch, can be considered much of a success…

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
Saw it this weekend, and loved it.

It was heartening to me to really be able to embrace a Tarantino film again. I was getting a bit worried--I loved his first three-and-a-half movies, but everything after that had disappointed me. I think Kill Bill Vol. 2 just loses its way in the last 45 minutes or so (Bill himself was simply a let-down, 10 times more effective when he was offscreen), and as for Death Proof...well, I think it never should have been allowed to grow beyond the hour-long mini-movie it was originally intended to be.

But I would say QT is back in the saddle with this film, at least as far as I'm concerned. I loved the audacious playing with the facts, which made the film as much about the power of movies to reflect (and change) history as it was about WWII. The long stretches of dialogue served to heighten the tension of scenes, rather than simply meandering tediously as it did in Death Proof. And the performances were uniformly terrific--from Brad Pitt providing fine comic relief to Christoph Waltz, who was simply extraordinary and should certainly receive an Oscar nomination at the least.

I saw the film with a pretty packed multiplex crowd this past Saturday night that seemed to really enjoy the film.

hampsteadbandit

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
rob cole
saw IB last week, and within minutes of Act One, was completely hooked

easily the best film I have seen this summer season, and one I am already pre-ordering on Blu-Ray

Definitely a return to form for QT, and up there with Reservoir, Pulp, Jackie Brown and Kill Bill...

highly recommended

the story was excellent, characters had real "meat" and the brutality of the short action scenes contrasted brilliantly with the long dialogue scenes

I did not notice the time whilst watching IB, and that has been a major problem with many of this Summer's theatre releases which have felt very flaccid, including "The Hurt Locker" which I saw today and felt was definitely lacking a strong plot or driving force to join the very exciting set piece / action scenes

Al_S

Second Unit
This the best movie I've seen this year and I go to the movies almost every weekend.

42nd Street Freak

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
"Inglorious Basterds".

Epic, weird, off the wall, nasty, twisty, fanboyish, suspenseful, well crafted....Too long, padded, schizo, FLAWED.
It is indeed like a WW2 "Pulp Fiction" mixed with...er...er...er.......something strange.

Ending would have been better with a FULL FACE carving!

The Bastereds do very little but mess things up or follow on behind...But they do provide some of the most entertaining sequences. A film of parts stuck together with chaos.
But a big leap upwards from "Death Proof" and "Kill Bill 2" for Tarantino. And how good it was to hear a bit of the wonderful score form the wonderful "Kelly's Heroes".

BarryS

Second Unit
Four out of four stars.

I'm going to try to do this without hyperbole. I'm a huge QT fan and love everything he's ever directed (or written). I love Inglourious Basterds. A lot. I love Tarantino's directing probably more than anything, although certainly his choice of actors, his dialog, music choices and skill at combining genres are all commendable. However, for me, what I love about QT's films is just the way that he uses cinematic language to tell his story. His films are far more distinctive from a visual standpoint than nearly anyone else in filmmaking today. He doesn't shoot films the way most Hollywood directors today would. He shoots them like a cinephile with such artfully constructed shots that you could almost enjoy them just as much without any sound. For example the overhead tracking shot which Tarantino employs twice in Inglourious Basterds (reminiscent of a similar shot at the end of Taxi Driver). How many other directors today would even think about using an overhead tracking shot? His shots in general are always striking. What he shows, and what he doesn't show. Unorthodox camera angles. Of course also the use of such devices as split screen is also quite audacious. But rather than just being a textbook of interesting camera shots, he is able to use them in service of a good story. What we essentially have is Tarantino's The Dirty Dozen with a spaghetti western feel. Brad Pitt being the Lee Marvin-esque leader of the Basterds. But of course it's so much more than that. Tarantino weaves in several other storylines as he can't bare to stick to just a single one. Tarantino always manages to make his movie about movies and sure enough IB ends up being almost as much about cinema as it is about Nazis and World War II. But that's certainly appropriate because as always IB takes place in a purely movie universe. Perhaps in this same movie universe where ...

Adolf Hitler is gunned down in a movie theater....
.... Beatrix Kiddo and Vincent Vega will be born in a few decades. We are never meant to think that we are seeing a story about the real world. It is always the cinematic world. Tarantino really displays the influence of Sergio Leone in Inglourious Basterds. Particularly Leone's fascination with the tension that precedes violence. Many of the film's scenes end with operatic outbursts of violence which are over in a matter of seconds. It is the events that lead up to the violence that occupies the bulk of the movie's drama. The film's climactic moment is quite simply... er... glourious. The final 10 - 15 minutes might be my favorite final act of any movie. Tarantino illustrates that both Axis and Allied Powers were capable of cruelty. He turns the tables and the Nazis become the persecuted and the Jews the persecutors. We are given a moral question to think deeply about. Is cruelty towards the Nazis justified? I think that's a really interesting question.

So in a nutshell, Inglourious Basterds is a film that is funny, exciting, provocative, audacious and very beautiful. By all means, see it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks