What's new

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008) (2 Viewers)

AaronMan

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
I know this is an Indy thread, but War of the Worlds was superb. The ending with his son still being alive was the only part where I was left scratching my head. Those aliens had one mission--to exterminate all life. And that's just what they did. The cinematography, direction, and visual effects were all first rate. This film simply blew the doors off of Independence Day.

You wanna talk about Spielberg's clunkers? How about Hook, Always, The Lost World, and 1941? No one is perfect, and even the great Spielberg has made a few flops. But in my opinion, War of the Worlds, is not one of them.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Well I liked Always and 1941 is one of he funniest movies of all time in my opinion.

Doug

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'm sure Spielberg and Lucas would love to tell stories about Indy's time during the war, but it would require a recast. Maybe Indy should be like Bond in that a new actor could be found from time to time, but I think it's too late for that. It's too heavily tied to Harrison Ford.

I don't want to be rude, and it is probably rude to ask somebody to change their settings, but I think your posts could benefit from a larger font size. It's really hard for me to read that little text. Of course, if you absolutely don't want to consider this, it is entirely your business.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
I was looking at it and damn my font size is puny! I increased it a bit.;)

Perhaps if Lucasfilm ever decided to go into an Indiana Jones animooted series they could probably do it. I should work on that list of actors I'd like to see lend their voice to something like this.:crazy:

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I just mean the line where the narrator speaks of God. It just sounded too religious and cheap. I have no problem with the ending itself. It's just the God line that ruins it a little. You want to immediately respond, hey what if they come back with cheap plastic outfits and defeat God's master plan? :D

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Thats probably because it's not an action movie. It's a science fiction film that happens to have action in it.

Doug

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Again the line about God comes directly from the novel. It's part of the theme of Wells' story. That line was also used in Orson Welles radio version, as well as the 1953 film version.

Doug

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Marketing isn't the be all and end all of success. Sometimes you just have to accept the fact that people aren't interested in a product, regardless of how it's marketed (as in the case of New Coke, the Edsel, or the midi).

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I'll agree with that, Robert. People weren't (and aren't) interested in Speed Racer. At all. I should have been more specific on that point.

And they were very interested in Indiana Jones. Clearly.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
The complaint about the ending reminds of complaints about the ending of Return of the King:

"I hated the ending! It went on too long!"

But the book had a long ending too.

"I don't care! Truncate it!"

This despite the raging controversy about how many changes had already been made from the book.

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
"People weren't (and aren't) interested in Speed Racer. At all."

It'll be interesting to see how Speed Racer does on home video. Quite a few movies that get ignored in theaters come back strong then.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
People are a lot more willing to check things out at home. So we'll see. I tend to think it'll find a pretty strong audience at home, but it's so far in the red, it'll take some time to crawl out.

I'll be interested in how Indy holds and how it sells at home. I've met few people IRL who were very enthusiastic about it. Consider this dichomotomy: you've seen my posts in this thread...now I'm the guy defending the film at work :) No one hates it, but no one seems impressed by it. And these were folks way more excited about it than me a week ago.

I still think it'll hold well, because SATC is not siphoning it's audience. And WoM is pointless for a sequel to something so entrenched in the pop culture zeitgeist.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It's lousy ending for that movie too :) I enjoyed WOTW from the get go, but that ending was wholly unsatisfying. As Douglas Adams said in a University Lecture, the problem with most stories from daily life is that they are missing a beginning, or a middle, or an end, and so they're not good stories to tell. WOTW felt like that: it was missing its ending.

Anywho...I need to borrow a friend's Indy trilogy. I've not watched them in years, and am not sure I've seen Doom since the theater 20-ish years ago.

As much as I enjoyed Indy IV in the theater, I don't think I'll rewatch it. I fear that it won't hold up to repeated viewings.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

Oh, I dunno. I went for a second viewing today, and enjoyed it more than the first time. To each his own, of course.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I enjoyed it on Sunday, and it has only grown in stature as I've thought about it since then. I don't know if I'll go see it again--I vowed to go see Iron Man again and haven't done it--but I would like to. I definitely look forward to owning it.

I've had the Indy box set since it came out in 2003, but only watched Raiders back then and didn't watch it again or the others at all until just last week. Now that that mini-marathon and Indy IV have given me the Indy glow, I'm going to try to watch these films more often.

Looking over that wording, I have to clarify that I didn't watch the *discs* until last week. I saw all the movies at the theater during their original releases. :) Until the other day, that was the last time I'd seen any of them in their OAR, I believe.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
Sit back, turn off your brain, enjoy the film. Not as good as Raiders, Not as good as Lost Crusade. Different than Temple of Doom.

The commies worked decently enough as replacements for Nazis. Didn't much care for Indy's british partner (MacHale?). The years have not been kind to Miss Ravenwood.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
don;t start with the brain thing.. that is total bullshit..
the expression of leaving your brain at the door.. bullshit.
enjoy the movie for what it is.

Jacob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks