*** Official "IMPOSTER" Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Norm, Jan 5, 2002.

1. Norm

Norm Cinematographer

Norm
    I'm thinking of going, is it any good?

2. Mark Lee

Mark Lee Second Unit

Haven't seen it yet, though I'm beginning to think that, had he lived, Philip K. Dick would've been a billionaire churning out screenplays for the movies, considering how many of his stories have become films since his death (i.e. Blade Runner, Total Recall, The Minority Report, Screamers, and now Impostor)....

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I'm going to see in about an houre. I'll be taking it in as part of a double-feature with a re-screening of Mulholland Drive.

4. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

I was going to go this morning with a friend (as he wants to see it), but plans got into the way, and I might see it tonight or see it tomorrow as a double feature (with Royal Tenenbaums). I do not want to see this movie at all (and I love sci-fi). Why do I want to stay away from this film (well)....
    1) The film has been sitting on the shelf over at Dimension for a year. You know what that means....
    2) The film is directed by Gary Fleder, a no talented hack (imho) that deserves to be thrown into a cage with such people like Joel Schumacher and Gus Van Sant.
    If this film doesn't suck, I'll be amazed, but I'm planning to give it one star on my 2002 film list. [​IMG]

5. Mark McLeod

Mark McLeod Second Unit

Norm said

6. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    This movie is terrible. No wonder it sat on Disney's shelf for more then a year.
    The movie suffers from silly dialogue, lame scare moment, bad editing, terrible cinematography and directing(nothing can stay inframe, especially during the fighting sequences)
    Worst piece of Dialogue.
    Vincent Dnofrio: Knock, knock
    Sinese:Who's there?
    Vincent: Not Spencer Olin!

7. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I also saw this movie, and it's quite average. Strictly a rental later down the line. It's got a bunch of running and chasing by Sinise and D'nofrio. I guessed part of the ending, but the other part was pretty silly given what occured during the film.

I give a 2 stars, or a grade of C.

8. Dan Wetzel

Dan Wetzel Extra

It was ok, but I'm telling you, at the start it ripped off footage from Starship Troopers. What the heck was up with that?
    I must say, I liked the ending though [​IMG]

9. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    I saw this today and the word that comes to mind is "mediocre". I agree with John that in particular the direction & editing (especially the fight sequences) are pretty sub-par. But the performances are good, given what they had to work with. I was looking forward to seeing Tony Shalhoub & Elizabeth Pena (two of my favorite unsung actors), but they have a total of perhaps 5 minutes screen time.
    As for the ending... Ten minutes in I had two different endings I had come up with. Turns out I was more right than I could have known - they used BOTH endings!! [​IMG]

10. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Imposter". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.
    All HTF member film reviews of "Imposter" should be posted here.
    Thank you for your consideration in this matter.
    Crawdaddy

11. Norm

Norm Cinematographer

Norm
    Well I saw it today, I have to agree with Mark, It was like an OL episode. Dan, your right about Starship Troopers footage, they even used the military uniforms too. That was a big mistake, the main group of people, that go see a movie like this are Sci-Fantasy fans, and we notice it! It takes you right out of the picture. They could of at least used only part of the uniform, but darn they used the whole thing. They painted the helmet silver around the bottom, to try to throw us!!! [​IMG]
    Over all I though it was ok, I will skip the DVD though!