*** Official I, ROBOT Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by RobertR, Jul 14, 2004.

1. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Based on a review of the film I read and a promotional blurb I saw on HDNet, I don't care for the message in the film at all. It sounds decidedly technophobic, and that's the exact opposite of the philosophy promulgated in the Asimov stories (the whole point of the Three Laws of Robotics was to do away with any basis for fear of robots). This is quite apart from any considerations of set design, acting, writing, etc.

2. JamieD

JamieD Supporting Actor

This movie looks like absolute garbage. DVD rental, maybe. Very disappointed so far.

3. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

4. DaveButcher

DaveButcher Stunt Coordinator

I got that feeling from the previews as well. This doesn't look good.

Though most of the robot stories are pro-technology, one of the best robot short stories that I read from Asimov was the one where the two robots end up plotting to destroy humanity (or reach that logical conclusion). I can't remeber where I read it(I'm sure it's an old 70's sci-fi mag), but if I find the name I'll post it (or if someone else remembers it, let me know)

5. DaveButcher

Destroy humanity was a little pulpy. It's an Asimov story, where through logical discourse two robots learn from each other and realize that robots are better at running the planet then humans (or something like that), and that the elimination of humans would be necessary. It was quite interesting to see Asimov use the three laws to imply robots destroying humanity (I'm sure it ended with the robots shutting each other down or something like that. I'm trying to track it down now, so we'll see how poor my memory is.[​IMG]

6. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

Well, I just read the I, Robot collection and most of the "Rest of the Robots" - which pretty is, I think, 90% or better of the robot shorts. [​IMG] I'm willing to be proved wrong, though.

7. DaveButcher

I'm pretty sure it was "That Thou Art Mindful of Him" but I'm looking for a copy to confirm.

8. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

I don't think I've read that one! Surprised I missed one.

Here's a good summary of the story from an extensive Robot/Foundation publishing history page. It also lists where it was printed:

http://users.skynet.be/hermandw/sf/pezhis5.html

9. DaveButcher

Yup, that's the one. I wish I could find it, it's pretty clever. Well worth reading and thanks for your help.

I still think I, Robot the movie is going to stink. Even by reading that blurb on "That Thou..." that Asimov never intended for robots to go crazy and start jumping around attacking people. I'll still wait 'till it's out before I slag it too much.

10. derek

derek Second Unit

I, Robot getting about 75% fresh at rottentomatoes.com. Looks like this could actually be a pleasant sci-fi surprise this summer.

11. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

12. Adam Portrais

Adam Portrais Stunt Coordinator

I don't think you have a grasp on what the movie is (but then again, why would you, you haven't seen it). I say go see the movie and make up your mind for yourself. No one likes an ill-informed person to rant on about things they know nothing or just a little bit about (Michael Moore I'm looking in your direction [​IMG]).

13. Chris Harvey

Chris Harvey Second Unit

I know a couple of guys who saw one of the junket screenings.... they both liked it and thought it was a well-done "summer movie". They thought it wasn't as good as SPIDEY 2, but certainly well made and enjoyable for what it was.

I'm just glancing through this thread right now, so sorry if someone posted it and I missed it, but Dave Poland *really* liked it, and thought it actually mixed in some Asimovian-style stuff in there.

14. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

This sure looks like a discussion thread!

Here's my review.

I kinda expected this from Will Smith, but not from Alex Proyas. Not a terrible movie, but not a very engaging one either.

15. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

Asimov's detective stories tended to be about going around and interviewing people, which someone decided doesn't belong in a sci-fi movie. I had somewhat good hopes for this movie before I saw the trailer, but not anymore.

16. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

17. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

OK, whatever the movie plot line, rebellion or not, masses of robots trying to hurt people is 100% anti-Asimov and 100% typical Frankenstein complex. No matter how you spin it. The old "rolling over in his grave" line comes to mind [​IMG]

I like Holadem's link to why does Summer Sci-fi have to be so dumb [​IMG] Good link, man.

Like I said:

I won't be the annoying dude that sits in the discussion thread about the movie ranting about it without seeing it. And I'm not ranting. [​IMG] Far from it. But I figure this thread is still fair game for discussion at this point.

18. DaveButcher

And I'm 100% behind you. I haven't seen it either, but I don't need to. I had Minority Report pegged long before I wasted anytime watching it (and I will watch I,Robot eventually, just not for $12). Same with Glitter.

The previews clearly show robots jumping all over the place menacingly as well as some other non-subtle references to robots being bad. Good movie, bad movie, who cares? It's just that Asimov would be very upset at this being made with his name all over it, and so am I.

19. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

You know, I posted a review (couldn't find a review thread) and I have to say: I really disliked it. It's too bad someone didn't sit down and watch "Contact" and think: "We can do something thoughtful with the works, and still have action/suspense as well" Instead, it became a real junker (IMHO)

20. Quentin

Quentin Cinematographer

Quentin H
    I love the CNN article that ADMITS up front that it hasn't seen the movie...but, it must be stupid! [​IMG]

I thought the movie was quite good. At least, not bad. [​IMG]

Yes, it is flawed. Yes, it is full of CGI (frankly, the best CGI I've seen in a movie in a long time...maybe ever). Yes, it has some corny popcorn film language. And, yes, it seems old...that's what you get when you make a movie based on source material that has been done in a million different ways (Terminator, Blade Runner, Minority Report, and others).

But, it's interesting. It's smart. It's fairly ambitious, and it's FUN! I didn't find it as slow as Spidey, but it's not a masterpiece either.

Does Will's backstory work? Not really. And, the action scenes (except for the VERY cool "vertigo cam" used in the final action sequence) are uninspired.

But, Sonny is cool and the mystery unfolds well.

I'd give it a solid "B".