What's new

*** Official I HEART HUCKABEE'S DiscussionThread (1 Viewer)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
It's the new movie by David O. Russell, which is obviously a good thing. Starring Jude Law, Naomi Watts, Dustin Hoffman, Mark Wahlberg, Jason Schwartzman, Lily Tomlin and Isabelle Huppert. Scheduled for limited release on Oct. 1st.

My advice would be to check out this official site and watch the three clips under 'advertisements'. You'll see why very quickly. ;)

This is Russell's first movie in FIVE years, but he's made three pretty great films in three attempts. (Spanking the Monkey, Flirting with Disaster and Three Kings.) Obviously I'm fairly psyched for this one.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
I'm looking forward to it as well, but this is easily one of the worst movie titles of all time.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I don't agree on the "greatness" of Three Kings but I am interested in seeing this. There was a blurb or something about it in Premiere several months ago.

Has it really been 5 years? Man I feel old....:frowning:

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Man, I love David O. Russell. With such a steller cast, I can't wait to check this one out.

Dominik Droscher

Supporting Actor
I just stumbled upon the trailer. It looks incredible! This one and Anderson's The Life Aquatic are the two movies I am most eagerly looking forward to at the moment.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It's about time somebody really utilized Lily Tomlin's talents. She's not getting any younger, and there's no one out there to replace what she does. Dustin Hoffman seems to be really great in this.

The trailer had a really unique vibe about it. It starts out pretentious, then makes fun of its own pretentiousness, and then hints at something a bit deeper. The trailer put this on my radar in a really big way.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
If it's got Lily Tomlin, I'm there!

She is a very underappreciated talent, and a heck of a nice person to boot.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Wow, great trailer. I definitely agree with Scott regarding the Eternal Sunshine vibes. This is up there with The Life Aquatic on the list of films I'm anxiously awaiting.

FredK

Second Unit
^ thanks for pointing that out, I would've never caught that. I did think this was one of Ebert's best written reviews in a while - he mixes description and opinion pretty well here. Sometimes his opinion is too forced when he's going after humor.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
I just got back from seeing this. I had pretty high expectations, and while there was some very funny stuff in it, I didn't think it amounted to much overall. There really didn't seem to be any point to all the weirdness beyond a sort of "hey, look, we're weird! And now here's some funny stuff!" thread running through the whole thing. A few good scenes in search of a movie, I guess.

Did Ebert's review change since he posted it? That quote (or misquote) from Forster doesn't seem to be in there now. I liked the movie a little bit more than he did, he only gave it two stars, but not that much more. I definitely agree with this observation:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "I Heart Huckabee's" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "I Heart Huckabee's" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
It seems there has not been much discussion of this film. I just found this thread and it seems pretty quiet. I saw the movie and loved it. I thought it did a great job of putting on film the post 9/11 atmosphere we live in...sure it's odd...but it's very well done and has a heart other than the one in the title. I think the slight detachment in all the characters is intentional and not a result of the script.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I suppose you could discuss the film by way of discussing philosophy in general...

But, as a movie, it's not much of a movie! It's almost like it was made on a dare or bet - "Hey, bet you can't make a whole movie about philosophy!" "Bet I can!" "Bet you can't insert a love/sex scene that's totally different from any we've ever seen!" "Bet I can!"

When it's funny, it's VERY funny - the dinner scene, Jude Law hearing himself tell ‘the story’ and then puking in the meeting, Wahlberg fighting a fire with no enthusiasm (dribbling water on the grass), and Naomi Watts’ new idea commercial. But, there is also a lot of unfunny, dragging forever, dull stuff; and, a lot of mumbo-jumbo that never really adds up to anything.

There is little to no plot, and a shaky theme at best. But, I did find the ‘blanket’ ending of a generally positive outlook to be a nice way to end. And, I generally liked the characters and the “idea” of making a movie about philosophy.

Wonder if he won the bet?

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
"But, there is also a lot of unfunny, dragging forever, dull stuff; and, a lot of mumbo-jumbo that never really adds up to anything."

I think that was the point with the mumbo jumbo but I didn't find it dragging or dull.

MattGentry

Second Unit
It's...mediocre.

Not quite funny. Not quite touching. Not quite dramatic. And, let's face it...

That sex scene/mud kiss was terrible.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks