*** Official HUSTLE AND FLOW Review Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Robert Crawford, Jul 23, 2005.

1. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "Hustle and Flow". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an Official Discussion Thread.

Crawdaddy

2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    The actor, Terrence Howard has been a favorite of mine for years now and finally I think he has his breakout film which is "Hustle and Flow". This is a great film with some superb performances by Howard and this film's supporting actors. The film is about a small-time hustler living in Memphis pimping a few girls and selling some weed while living each day as it comes, when he finds out a homeboy who made it big in rap music is coming back home for the 4th of July. At that point, he decides to enlist help from various people to make a demo tape to give to this rap artist, he barely knew years ago. This is a terrific film that displays desperate people employing what skills they learned on the streets to make a dream of a better life come true.

Crawdaddy

3. Dave Hackman

Dave Hackman Stunt Coordinator

This is typical ghetto trash. As usual, it’s dominated by lingering bass notes that reverberate around the theater for what seems like an eternity seemingly to compensate for the primitive dialog that is required to keep it real. I think Chris Rock said it best. Keeping it real dumb. You feel me, Man. I mean smoking weed and pimping bitches is a way of life for some but nothing here makes it worth seeing on the big screen.

There is a so-so story under this cave-ghetto lifestyle that has its moments but it just isn’t worth the lost brain cells and reduction in spiritual growth to uncover. I think this movie offers some fine performances that are noteworthy but not enough to re-watch or recommend.

D

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

An involving and richly textured account of the efforts of a down-and-nearly-out pimp and drug dealer to claw his way toward something better. Terrence Howard's DJay is the standout, but the entire cast is up to the same level, including Anthony Anderson as the recording technician who lets himself get hussled into helping DJay develop his music. (Between this role and his menacing Antwon on the recently concluded season of The Shield, Anderson too is emerging as a major talent.) I also liked Taryn Manning as Nola, who is apparently DJay's main girl; she says more with a look than most people do with a page of dialogue. And Taraji P. Henson as the former working girl now pregant with DJay's child takes a role that starts off as a cliche and makes it into the heart of the movie.

A cursory viewing might lead one to conclude that the dialogue is primitive and trashy, just as some critics once dismissed David Mamet as a guy whose dialogue is all cursing. But there's a weary poetry to DJay's patter whenever he's trying to get his way, whether with one of the girls who works for him or with a neighbor whose party is interfering with DJay's efforts to record, and Howard registers what's going on in DJay's head with a directness and simplicity that's the hallmark of great acting.

It's not a complicated story, but it pulls you in, because the performances are rich and because writer/director Craig Brewer makes you feel the heat and squalor, so that you have no doubt why the characters yearn for another life. (The search for air conditioning becomes a kind of running joke.) He also shows, better than any other filmmaker I can think of, the labors of creation in a collaborative art form. The sequence where the group laboriously assembles DJay's first single is one of the high points of the film.

I've read criticism of the ending, but I thought it was perfect: true to the world it depicts, hilarious in its final denouement, and ultimately ambiguous in its implications. It's hard to say more without spoilers, so judge for yourself.

M.

5. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Saw this tonight & loved it. Yes, the story is thin, but the characters are well acted & well written, and DJ's attempts to climb out the gutter are very well told & very true to life for a lot of people. As Michael said, a lot of the characters sound like paper-thin stereotypes but get well rounded out by the end of the film.

It was more raw, more low budget than I expected from the trailers & reviews, but I can handle that.

Highly reccommended.