What's new

*** Official HTF SOCOM Clan Thread (1 Viewer)

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Well guys, I bit the bullet and sold my copy of SOCOM. I enjoyed playing with you all but my gaming time is currently devoted to other pursuits and what with all the premier Gamecube titles coming out soon, frankly I need the money. Like I said, I did enjoy playing with you all, and I will be getting an xbox at some point in the future so I'll be rejoining you there. The Ps2 online experience just was too frustrating for me. Oh well I'll always remember the famous "everyone but Dave gets disconnected" :D I've still got my NA and TMB:O but after searching around on ebay, those are going for like 50 or 60 bucks. Frankly, I'm considering selling it as well as the only online games that interest me for the ps2 won't be released for quite some time(Gran Turismo 4 and Ace Combat 5 if they do indeed end up with online components). Plus, perhaps this way I can get that xbox sooner ;)

Tom Fudold

Stunt Coordinator
Nice playing with you Dave, enjoy your Prime... which I assume you're referring too. We'll see you online again, hopefully soon, with Ghost Recon, Mech Assault, or Unreal... I can't wait to get them all tomorrow!!

As for SOCOM, I'm keeping it for awhile, so if anyone is still playing, let the board know, I'm sure we'll find some willing targets!

Tom

eric c j

Agent
It seems that alot of bashing is happening, yes we know that the servers are crashing, but alot more people are playing. As usual we are burning ourselves out for each game. I am sure all these people running to xbox bashed that system back in the day. As the past tells us, we will rush to play xbox live and burn out on those games also, its the nature of the beast. We still have to wait till xbox goes live to see how well the servers hold up, and also see how new ps2 online games have their servers built. It is still in its infancy.

2 cents only and no refunds!

JoshF

Supporting Actor
We still have to wait till xbox goes live to see how well the servers hold up, and also see how new ps2 online games have their servers built. It is still in its infancy.
Hear, Hear! People are basing their annoyances on one game and one server only. For all we know Xbox live could be a big, fat bummer.

What's more, people seem to be forgetting the ridiculous amounts of fun we all had on SOCOM.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Hear, Hear! People are basing their annoyances on one game and one server only. For all we know Xbox live could be a big, fat bummer.
To be fair Josh many people here never discounted the fun we all had on Socom. I personally could never hate the game as it holds a special place in my heart. Its the first time I got to talk to allot of you guys out there and thats an awesome experience. I'll always remember the blast that we had night to night!
Besides that many folks here don't have allot of games out there to base thier online experience on. Socom is Sony's big online title, its flagship title in fact and your going to see allot of folks impressions based on that game. I personally have always had a nice smooth experience with Twisted Metal Black for istance in the time that I've played it but we can agree that the player base in that game is absolutely dwarfed compared to those on Socom.
Another issue that people really have not relayed here (or have in small increments) but it is something that you and I have discussed before is the lack of voice communication on many Sony online titles. Voice com is for lack of a better word, the shit. I love talking with you guys. It adds so much to the online experience and when a game lacks that feature, and this is just me mind you, it lessens my enthusiasm for it.:frowning: That could be another reason that many are going for the alternative.
As for Xbox Live allot of folks here are beta testers and those that are can attest to how great *THE BETA* test is.(I was highly impressed, again as we discussed before). There is lag from time to time. I've seen some people get a server drop or two but for the most part its just a fantastic online experience and many people are basing the upcoming launch on thier time played in Beta. We shall see how well things turn on out when Mechassault, GR and more are in our Xbox's...

JoshF

Supporting Actor
Another issue that people really have not relayed here (or have in small increments) but it is something that you and I have discussed before is the lack of voice communication on many Sony online titles. Voice com is for lack of a better word, the shit. I love talking with you guys. It adds so much to the online experience and when a game lacks that feature, and this is just me mind you, it lessens my enthusiasm for it. That could be another reason that many are going for the alternative.
No way I'd argue with that. Voice comm is a huge feature, I agree. I must say, however, that it isn't as big of a deal in non-team games. Sure, it's nice, but not necessary unless you want to talk shit. Which is, of course, fun too. Unless, of course, the shit-talking is coming from some annoying 12 year-old kid from Arkansas.

We'll see how it goes. It'll be interesting to see how XBL kicks off this weekend. I have an open port on my router and some extra cash, so who knows.

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
Okay...

We are officially in the round of 32.
Good job everyone!

The clan we are facing next is Dark Eagle Resistance.
I have never heard of them.
I am trying to find out what I can,though.

Usual stuff, I'll try to setup a weekend match.
Let's keep it going & reach the "Sweet 16!"

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
Just wanted to let you guys know I followed in Dave's footsteps and am selling SOCOM. I've just heard too many good things about Mechassault to not buy it and money is an issue, so selling SOCOM will allow me to buy it.

I had a lot of great times with you guys on the game, and even though server probs made for crappy experiences at the end, I don't fault the game for it, or even Sony.

I think Xbox Live will be better because it is pay to play and the $50 goes toward better servers and not just games. That might not be right, but hopefully it is.

I hope all of you guys can migrate toward XBL in the future. I would strongly consider SOCOM 2 if they can clear up the server problem. I think I'll hold onto my PS2 NA for now.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
I'm highly considering getting rid of SOCOM and my PS2 NA when we get out of the tournament. There is just nothing coming out that interest me. Everything I read about Network Biohazard has me thinking I won't buy it, no Voice Chat, no sale.

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
I'm surprised so many of you are jumping ship.

I played Ghost Recon today...it's not bad but i think Socom is much better.

PLus, Ghost Recon isn't even 16:9 and has much more online slowdown than i've seen on socom.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Sean,

Out of 10+ hours of GR I have been kicked out 0 times. With in 30 minutes of SOCOM I will pretty much always get booted 1 or 2 times. One night in a

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I played Ghost Recon today...it's not bad but i think Socom is much better.
Whether you like the game better or not is niether here nor there since that is a matter of preference. Both are VERY different type of games. Socom is much more slanted to the run and gun fast paced experience, good balance of that and sniping along with some healthy temwork. Ghost Recon is a game of patience, stealth and PURE teamwork. You want to be a cowboy in GR? Your going to die. Which you like better depends on your taste, I like them both. Though I'm finding Ghost Recons HUGE (and much larger variety of) maps much more fun of an environment to play in personally.

As for performance, the first hour or so was a hassle because we had to figure things out. The menu system leaves allot to be desired at first and is overly complicated. Once you get a grasp on it though you its not too horrible. Once we did get things figureed out, its been smooth sailing for me. In the time I've played I have yet to be booted and I've experienced lag one time. (This was in a 9 player game).

The real test comes tommorrow with the TRUE launch of Xbox Live. Once the general masses hit the server, we'll see how well MS handled the beta testing and if they have thier proverbial "shit" in order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks