What's new

OFFICIAL HTF REVIEW: PANASONIC PT-AX100U 720p FRONT PROJECTOR (1 Viewer)

Karynak

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Karynak
Here is the warranty copied from Panasonic's site. My company gets a partner discount or something from them:

Panasonic Projector Systems Company
Unit of Panasonic North America
3 Panasonic Way, 4B-9
Secaucus, NJ 07094

Panasonic Puerto Rico, Inc.
Ave. 65de Infanteria, Km.9.5
San Gabriel Industrial Park
Carolina, Puerto Rico 00985

PANASONIC LCD PROJECTOR
pt-ae700u, pt-ae900u,
pt-ax100u and pt-ae1000u

Panasonic Projector Systems Company or Panasonic Puerto Rico, Inc.
(collectively referred to as “the Warrantor”) will repair this product and
all included accessories with new or refurbished parts, free of charge in
the USA or Puerto Rico, of the original purchase in the event of a defect
in materials or workmanship as follow:

Carry-in or mail-in service in the USA may be obtained during the
warranty period by contacting Panasonic Projector Systems Company
Factory Authorized Service Center either by using our website
http://www.panasonic.com/support/ or by calling toll-free 888.411.1996
to locate the nearest Authorized Service Center.
Carry-in or mail-in service in Puerto Rico can be obtained during
the warranty period by calling the number listed in the Service
Center Directory.

This warranty is extended only to the original purchaser and is nontransferable. A purchase receipt or other proof of date of original
purchase will be required before warranty service is rendered.
This warranty only covers failures due to defects in materials or workmanship
that occurs during normal use. The warranty does not cover
damage that occurs in shipment, failures that are caused by products not
supplied by the warrantor, or failures that result from accident, misuse,
abuse, neglect, mishandling, misapplication, alteration, modification,
faulty installation, setup adjustments, improper antenna, inadequate signal
pickup, maladjustment of consumer controls, improper operation, power
line surge, improper voltage supply, lighting damage, or service by
anyone other than an authorized repair facility or damages attributable
to acts of nature.

LIMITS AND EXCLUSIONS
There are no express warranties except as listed above.
THE WARRANTOR SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR INCIDENTAL
OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, WITHOUT
LIMITATION, DAMAGE TO DISCS) RESULTING FROM THE
USE OF THIS PRODUCT OR ARISING OUT OF ANY BREACH OF
THE WARRANTY. ALL EXPRESS AND IMPLIED WARRANTIES,
INCLUDING THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND
FITNESS FOR PARTICULAR PURPOSE, ARE LIMITED TO THE
APPLICABLE WARRANTY PERIOD SET FORTH ABOVE.
Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or
consequential damages or limitations on how long an implied warranty
lasts, so the above exclusions or limitations may not apply to you. This
warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may have other rights
that vary from state to state.

If you have a problem with this product that is not handled to your
satisfaction, write to the Consumer Affairs Department at the
Company address indicated above.

garf12

Auditioning
Real Name
Field
I just purchased this projector and got it installed today. I am not happy with the image at all and I guess I am to dumb to calibrate it my self. I tried to do some adjustments using the Avia guide to home theater DVD but the colors still don't seem correct. And it really does not appear my installer is going to be much help. Anyone got any suggestions on how to calibrate, or Ben I see you are in Dallas know anyone in Texarkana or that will come here to do a professional calibration.

Karynak

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Karynak
I have heard this also about these projectors. Some are great out of the box and others need serious calibration. I am hoping when mine arrives it will be ok. If not....then I will shell out the scratch to get it calibrated. Once calibrated and the colors are on.....I have read the images are spectacular.

Ben_Williams

Second Unit
Real Name
Ben Williams

You might give Steve Martin a call: www.smartcalibration.com - - he does travel from time to time, but you will have to check with him to see if Texarkana is too far. Steve did the calibration on the projector for this review - - he is now VERY familiar with how to get an optimal image from it!

I'm not surprised that you weren't too happy with the picture out of the box... as I mentioned in the review, it has a strange quality to it that was distracting. Fortunately, the calibration fixed all of these problems.

Good luck!

Karynak

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Karynak

I ordered the projector yesterday, and I will order the screen this evening or in the next day or so. Which ratio would you reccommend?

I would really like the 2.35:1....but I am torn between the 1.78, 1,85 and the 2.35. Dave at Carada recommended the 1.78, but I want the 2.35 to get the best picture out of my favorite movies (Star Wars, LoTR, etc...)

Ben_Williams

Second Unit
Real Name
Ben Williams

I'm with David on this one... in order to fully utilize a 2.35:1 screen, you will need an anamorphic lens. 1.78:1 gives you the most flexibility.

Karynak

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Karynak
Would there be any harm in betting a slightly larger screen...ie at my distance I was going to get a 96" diagonal, but get 102" or 104"?

Karynak

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Karynak
I purchased the projector from Visual Apex ( www.visualapex.com ). I chose this vendor because they offered a free 1yr extended projector warranty (for 2 yrs total) and a free 2yr extended lamp warranty. With the $400 mail in rebate and free shipping the projector was $1499. You can't go wrong with that.

Ben_Williams

Second Unit
Real Name
Ben Williams

As long as you have the proper throw distance available to completely fill up that size screen, I don't see why it would be a problem. If you just want a bigger screen and aren't able to afford the throw distance, then I would recommend the smaller screen. You definitely want your image to fill the entire screen.

Karynak

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Karynak

I see. I will go for the 96" then. On a side note...have you heard about any projectors with HDMI 1.3 coming out this year?

Ben_Williams

Second Unit
Real Name
Ben Williams
No news on anything that's HDMI 1.3 compatible just yet. I don't really think there will be any advantage for 1.3 on a FP until we have content that takes advantage of the expanded color that is possible through 1.3.

Ben_Williams

Second Unit
Real Name
Ben Williams
HDMI 1.3 supports a new standard called "Deep Color". This new standard is a 30-bit, 36-bit and 48-bit color system (current specs support 24-bit color) that is capable of displaying 1.5 times as many colors as the current system. The primary use for this new standard is in video games. Unfortunately, there isn't currently any media being produced that supports Deep Color. It is feasible that, in the future, hardware and software manufacturers might support Deep Color. Unfortunately, nothing is currently on the market. So, while HDMI 1.3 is great for passing advanced audio and stuff like that, until Deep Color starts being utilized, there really isn't any practical use for HDMI 1.3 in a front projection system. Resolution has nothing to do with it.

Karynak

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Karynak

Ahh. I guess the best idea would be to get a PS3. It uses HDMI 1.3 if I remember correctly.

Ben_Williams

Second Unit
Real Name
Ben Williams
The PS3 is a good choice... you should know, however, that neither the Blu-Ray or HD DVD specs support Deep Color. Toshiba has even gone so far as to advertise Deep Color support on their second generation XA2 player despite the fact that the software specification can't even support the technology. That used to be called false advertising ;)

Of course, the Blu-Ray and HD DVD standards could be changed to support Deep Color, but then none of the current players on the market would be able to play the software. So, I wouldn't bet on either next gen format being Deep Color compatible anytime in the foreseeable future.

The PS3 will support Deep Color on games, though...

Karynak

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Karynak

Could Deep color support be easily added to the PS3 by a firmware update?

Ben_Williams

Second Unit
Real Name
Ben Williams
probably not... the entire Blu-ray or HD DVD standard would have to changed to incorporate Deep color. It is possible that a firmware update could do the trick, but it is highly unlikely. Moreover, it is highly unlikely that either format will EVER support Deep Color.

Karynak

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Karynak

That's kind of crazy. I wonder why they didn't design HDDVD or Blu-ray to include Deep color. I am sure they new the HDMI 1.3 technology was coming.

Users who are viewing this thread