What's new

OFFICIAL HTF REVIEW: MITSUBISHI HD1000 PROJECTOR (1 Viewer)

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
The HC3000 is definitely better but as Jim mentioned it may not be worth the difference in price. I have a friend with the 3000 and he loves it. To him the extra expense was worth it. If possible I would recommend demoing the two units, side by side if you could but it's not crucial. If you can't tell a measurable difference then I think you have your answer.

ghostdawg

Auditioning
Real Name
Alex
hi.. i've had this projector for a few months now and love it. i was wondering if there was specific numbers that i'd input to have it calibrated properly...i usually find myself messing with colors and all that for different movies... also i have a grey screen, would a white one be better...thanks

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
You cannot use other people's settings because everyone's room conditions, DVD players, and bulbs are different. You need to use a calibration disc such as Avia or DVE and go thru the settings(At the very least brightness and contrast). If you don't want to buy one, THX Optimizer will work fine. There are a few settings that are pretty much universal though, I've found out from different forums. Mode: Cinema, Lamp mode: Low, Color temp: Warm or Medium(I prefer medium), Sharpness: -2, Brilliant Color: 0, Color: 0, Black level setting: 3.75%. The color screen depends on your room's color and light level. I use a white screen because my room is painted very dark, and I have no ambient light. Generally, if your room is a light color and/or you have ambient light, you want a gray screen.

ghostdawg

Auditioning
Real Name
Alex
thanks for the tip...I'm gonna run the THX Optimizer tonight to see if i make some improvements. i was somewhat surprised to see the lamp mode you suggested at low, mines been on standard from day one, and i also set brilliant color to around 7 or 8 something like that, but again i change for different movies and go with what i feel looks better to my unprofessional eyes.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Welcome to the forum! If you happen to have a Netflix account you can rent Digital Video Essentials NTSC which, as Jim noted, is the best tool for getting your system calibrated. It's well worth a rental. I eventually bought a copy that I now use to calibrate family and friends HDTVs and they have all loved the results.

(hint, hint) Netflix also offers a free 2-week trial if you're not already a member.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
ghostdawg, is your room dark when you watch your projector? If it is, I can't believe you're using it in standard mode. Mine is plenty bright in low power mode. And Brilliant Color set to 7 or 8? Even the default setting is 3. I bet you'll find your settings are way off after you calibrate it.

ghostdawg

Auditioning
Real Name
Alex
yeah it was way off, that first test with the thx optimizer where you see a white box with different shades, i only saw an overly bright white box. So after tuning down contrast and brightness a bit i got a better picture, however i still keep my lamp mode on standard, in low mode the image is dark and not as crisp. My room is dark with white walls. brilliant color was also turned way down from that previous 7 or 8 but still high at 4.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Even with white walls I'm surprised you need to use standard mode. How many hours are on your bulb? You may have a "weak" bulb. Or you have a HUGE screen. You do know using standard mode reduces your bulb life to about 2000 hours, instead of about 3000 hours in low?

ghostdawg

Auditioning
Real Name
Alex
there's only about 400 hours on the bulb, im not sure what huge is but mines is 106 inches.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
My screen is also 106" diagonal. Just as a suggestion, I would set lamp to low power, then run thru the settings again with THX Optimizer, and see how you like it. Not only will you get many more hours out of your bulb, the projector fan will be much quieter on low.

ghostdawg

Auditioning
Real Name
Alex
i tried it jim but didnt really do it for me, for some reason it doesnt look as nice to me with it on low... perhaps i got the weakling projector of the bunch, what sources do you use ..regular upscaled dvd, blu ray, etc...

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I watch HD satellite, and I have the Toshiba HD-A2 HD-DVD player, which also does a great upconverting standard DVD's.

ghostdawg

Auditioning
Real Name
Alex
i use my ps3 for blu ray any downfalls to using that, in terms of picture quality as opposed to a stand alone blu ray player..

ghostdawg

Auditioning
Real Name
Alex
i wonder if i changed screens to a brilliant white or something like that, im currently using elite screens vmax series type c ver 1.1. Dunno how much of a difference different screens make, but im curious to see the image projected on a white screen instead of the grey i have..

MitsubishiGuru

Auditioning
Real Name
chris
Quick question guys:

I have a HD1000 projector and i haven't set it up yet. Is audio carried along the Component cables? The HD1000 only has the pc input, component, video, and s video connections in the back, so where does the audio connect to? Sorry im new to projectors

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
You'll need an external means of processing the audio (i.e. an A/V reciever). Not to throw us too far off topic but... if you are constrained on budget I would suggest the Onkyo 605, however if you have a large tax return to spend go with the Yamaha RX-V3800.

MitsubishiGuru

Auditioning
Real Name
chris
really? I need a A/V receiver just to get sound outta this damn thing? Why is it every other projector on the market has audio outputs on it but this thing does not?! Extra money for nothing in my opinion

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks