What's new

DVD Review *** Official HTF REVIEW & Discussion Thread: Star Wars Trilogy, pt. 1 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
The first bit from the A&E airing that I found interesting is that they showed an alternate take or the dailies or something, and Peter Mayhew was actually delivering lines like "That old man's mad!" It makes you wonder what other things Chewie was saying.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Here is a comparison I made to demonstrate the missing music. It it is a 128kbps AAC file. Right click and save this file. The "Comment" section lists all the timings so that you know what you are listening to and what you are listening for.

Neil

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
quote:It makes you wonder what other things Chewie was saying.

He also said, "How did he miss from that close?!" and "I can't believe you let him get off a shot. You're getting slow, Han, ol' buddy." The one I don't quite get is when he says, "You don't have to watch reruns to see Maude! She tends bar on Thursday nights!"

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Greg: Bea Arthur, who played Maude, played the Cantina bartender in the infamous Star Wars Holiday Special from 1978
biggrin.gif

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
quote:Wow! You're in for a treat, especially with Empire. Do me a favor, though, and wait three years before watching Jedi so you can know the agony we knew in '80.

laugh.gif
That was great Greg.

I see where alot of people are having some type of OT watching party. I don't have one planned yet...first and foremost is...

"Just for once,...let me look on you...with my own eyes"
biggrin.gif

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Heh. You're even banishing your daughters from the room for your first showing! "I don't want you to see your father crying, even if they are merely tears of joy."

These films ought to look incredible on your projector, especially in comparison to the LDs you've been watching.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
I guess the empire of dreams documentary is not exclusive to the dvd set. It is currently airing on a&e. they are running it all night it looks like.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
quote:Heh. You're even banishing your daughters from the room for your first showing! "I don't want you to see your father crying, even if it is merely tears of joy."

hehehehehe...
biggrin.gif

"Girls, want to go out for the evening, stay with some friends????...here, take my wallet. "
biggrin.gif
Of course they're 10 & 12.

Yes, looking forward to the anamorphic transfers finally. Some of the images while not bad on the LD, make me cringe at times.

This is the dvd set I originally sold my ld player and all my ld's including SW hoping to get. Then when I realized Fox & Lucas were not releasing...re-bought both laser sets and a better player.

My player takes about 2 minutes to break too.
blush.gif

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
quote:I guess the empire of dreams documentary is not exclusive to the dvd set. It is currently airing on a&e. they are running it all night it looks like.

It's an edited version. The disc version is significantly longer.

quote:This is the dvd set I originally sold my ld player and all my ld's including SW hoping to get. Then when I realized Fox & Lucas were not releasing...re-bought both laser sets and a better player.

I bought a pretty nice LD player and the Faces discs, but I haven't watched them too often. Now, it'll be even rarer for me to pop them in. Still, it's nice to know I do have the originals available to me.

Edit: Maybe I'm wrong. According to the TV listings, the A&E version is two hours long. I don't think the disc version is much longer than that.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
I started watching it now i can't stop it sorta ruins it for when i get the dvd set. It's pretty great BTW... i tuned in at the middle of the empire stuff so atleast i didn't see it all, unless of course i watch it at 10pm when it starts over.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
The version that aired on A&E is about an hour shorter than the DVD version which runs for 2 and a half hours. When you take commercials into account, the A&E program is only 90 minutes.

Anyway, good stuff. Can't wait to see the full version because some of it needed fleshing out. I would've liked to have seen more on the development of the film. As it was, it already took up 30 minutes but I'm particularly interested in that little chunk of SW history.

Do Ian McDiarmid, Jeremy Bulloch and the likes appear in the full version?

Craig_O

Agent
Did anybody catch the Star Wars special and A&E tonight? Does anyboby know if they are showing scenes from the documentary that is on the OT dvd release. They are showing test scenes from all different actors that tested.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
it says tesuday.. then written on screen is september 21.

what is missing from the 2 and half hour version of the docs? that was not show in the 90 minute version?

thanks.

JACOB

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
I just finished watching ESB. Now I thought ANH looked pretty good but I was really surprised at Empire's picture quality! Not AOTC clarity, but excellent nonetheless.

I noticed Vader's saber looked pinkish in a few shots, but for the most part it looks normal, with a white core.

There's one minor sound change. At the beginning of the duel, when Luke ignites his lightsaber, the activation sound effect is actually from ROTJ.

GeorgePaul

Second Unit
Great version of the doc on A&E so far...I especially loved the nod to Joseph Campbell in the first segment, since I've been using ESB and ROTJ to teach Campbell for the last two years in my junior English classes. NOW maybe more people will understand WHY I show those two movies to the kids.
biggrin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks