DVD Review Official HTF Review: Backdraft, Recommended

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Sam Posten, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Oct 30, 1997
    Sam Posten
  2. David Ruiz

David Ruiz Second Unit

Aug 13, 2001
    I don't understand. Did you give the HD-DVD a 5/5 for "Visual Quality" or did you give that score to the SD-DVD? The reason I ask is because you mentioned how much edge-enhancement the SD-DVD had and that alone, should have brought down the perfect 5/5 rating consideriably, especially since edge-enhancement is by far, the most hideous and most distracting thing, visually speaking.

I don't doubt that the DVD looked good; I'm sure it would look great on my projector, but edge-enhancement (even just a tiny bit), destroys the look of "film" in my eyes. To me, whenever I see a DVD with EE, it makes it look like "video" as opposed to "film." There's a tremendous difference imho.
  3. I was under the impression that most SD/HD products were minted from the same HD transfer and as such should be very similar in character.

Backdraft HD transfer was first released on D-VHS and I'm guess this is the same transfer used for HD DVD/DVD releases?

The extras should also be very similar as well (with regards to a commentary or lack there of).

Anyway I haven't watched the DVD yet, but I hope it's better than 'Ladder 49' which I found to be a 2-hour Budweiser commercial set to folk music.

EDIT: I'd like to also draw attention to one area where DVD excels: full-size DVD packaging and fancy slipcovers. Now I just need to locate the original DVD insert to add to my fancy SE.