What's new

Official HTF HD Review: Midnight Run (1 Viewer)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Hey Sam,

I'm starting to think some of the EE we see might be player dependent or some part of our system is producing this?

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
You beat me to the punch. I am beginning to think some of this the hardware induced (or reduced as the case may be). I wander if some players and/or display devices are more forgiving of some of these problems.

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor

Maybe so. I've never seen such radically different opinions, as with high-def software. You wonder sometimes if people are watching the same title.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
If they do, the watch it on different equipment, though.

Depending on the content of the scene, the algorithm involved and the settings of the monitor, downrezzing to 720p can very well introduce halo's in certain scenes.
Of course, that's no proof that it is what happened.

Cees

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor
Couldn't some of this also be people have their TVs adjusted wrong? I saw someone on another board claiming that his new HD DVD player wasn't at all impressive. But when he posted screenshots (where the HD did look almost the same as the SD), it was extremely obvious he had default out of the box settings. The sharpness was cranked very high. The colors were so exaggerated that it was painful to look at. The brightness was way out of whack. After a few very simple adjustments recommended by other users, he said the difference was really starting to show.

So perhaps people see EE because they have their sharpness cranked way too high?

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I seem to remember reading about this film in American Cinematographer when it was released. I believe most of this film was shot with pro-mist filters on the camera. Depending on the level of filter chosen a pro-mist filter can produce definite halos around bright objects. If this is what you are seeing then it is completely intended by the filmmakers.

I haven't seen this on HD yet so I can't say of this is in fact the reason for the halos.
Doug

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
Watched it tonight, 106" front projection, and I didn't see much in the way of EE or halos.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
That's a possibility Doug. I guess we could call the Mythbusters for a more official verdict but until then my score stands and of course the rest of the comments in this thread will help to balance it out for future readers. =)

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Sam,

My intention wasn't to disparage your review at all. As I said I haven't seen this disc yet so I have no way of judging for myself if this is something on the original film or something that sneaked its way into the digital process.

As an experienced reviewer on this site I will take your review at face value until I can look at it myself.

However sometimes what we are seeing is not always a result of the conversion to a digital medium.

Doug

Manus

Second Unit
Well , this is the film that gave me my 'movie quote' so , fair to say I think its great . I think De Niro's performance and timing here is sublime . He really was on top of his game . According to Imdb this followed on from films like Brazil , The Mission , Angel Heart and The Untouchables and I think he is as good here as in any of those.

~M~

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks