What's new

**Official HTF HD Formats Ind./Retailer/Studio Support Thread-*SEE POST 3176, p. 106* (1 Viewer)

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
^This is what Universal needs to do. There are at least eight titles catalog and otherwise I would consider purchasing if they weren't Combo Format.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

Same here, for the most part. There are a few stores in the Dallas area which are just now starting to carry either/both. I've seen the Lewisville store have HD DVD in stock one week and out of stock the next. I've found that most Costco stores electronics section seem to be pretty hit or miss.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Universal has already rereleased many catalog Combos as just HD DVD format. I assume they will continue to do so.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

Does two count as many? Aside from Army of Darkness and Unleashed, which other ones are there? Serious question because those are all I know of.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

That´s it. And re-issue of "Unleashed" dropped all the extras (since they were in the SD DVD-side).
Edit: Well, "Army of Darkness" too, but it was just one Trailer..

Vegas 1

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alvin Kuenster
I'm a Sam's Club member here in Las Vegas, they now have the new Sony BR player for $479 and a small selection of BR discs, like 10 titles.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Maybe many was the wrong term to use, but if I recall the press on Universal going single format on catalog titles, they would reissuing all previously released Combo's as single format. I don't recall reading any time frame.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I think the reporter is missing something - it looks at first like the movies from DreamWorks Animation, a separate company from DreamWorks SKG will be HD-DVD exclusive, which is no minor thing: Shrek 3 was a big hit, even if it was pretty middle-of-the-road as a film. Since DW Animation only makes one or two films a year, it shouldn't be much of a big deal, even if that one title is often pretty big.

But, then again, they quoted Brad Grey instead of Katzenberg, and talked about other labels, which is... odd. As much as I tend to favor HD-DVD even after picking up a BD player, I honestly can't see why a studio would drop BD support barring Microsoft/Toshiba doing something huge to make it worth their while.

This needs a lot of follow-up and clarification.

EDIT: I posted this after just seeing the link. Now it's even stranger - Amazon just sent me an email about Blades of Glory on BD. The heck?

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
That's just fucking great. The Complete and total Paramount boycott is on.

Edit:
That speaks volumes.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Indications are that Toshiba has paid Paramount 50 Million for the exclusive agreement.

Right. Those same families who enjoy Disney movies exclusive on Blu-ray?... the way to sell Shrek to them is on HD DVD? Of course, Toshiba's 50-million deal is probably a whole lot more profit than they'd make on HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc sales combined!

;)

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
I was starting to seriously believe this war was getting close to an end. Now it looks to be on for quite a long while. Bring on the dual format players!!

Norman Matthews

Second Unit
Wow, did not see this one coming. So much so that, even with the official-looking nature of everything, I'm still skeptical. I see quite a few caveats emerging in the near future, similar to the Spielbergian one Brett was so quick to latch on to.

If true as currently stated, though, all I can say is: It's melting! It's melting! ;)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Both of those families? :)

I mean, the numbers are tiny. If Paramount thinks that an explosion in HD player sales will come this Christmas and it will be $250 HD DVD players vs $400 BD players that drive it, I can see this making sense.

Although "Toshiba pays Viacom and DreamWorks Animation a whole bunch of money and they put the best spin on it" makes even more sense. Makes things interesting, at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks