What's new

**Official HTF HD Formats Ind./Retailer/Studio Support Thread-*SEE POST 3176, p. 106* (1 Viewer)

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
Here is some more, rather sensational, news: Toshiba set to release a Blu-Ray player?

1080living.com is reporting that Toshiba is getting ready to release not 'one' but 'two' BR players.

One source cited 2 players are in the works with a price target of $250 and $350.00.

I suppose in the context of this thread, this makes a lot of sense for Toshiba, as this totally compliments their dropping of the HD-DVD format.

PS: I don't know the background of '1080living.com', thus I cannot vouch for their credibility.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
From my personal perspective without any inside knowledge, I think the end is near as far as HD DVD. Now, it's the time to focus on one single HDM format and stop with the format rhetoric that has foster bad feelings throughout the internet communities over the last couple of years. As we shift our attention away from such useless activity, it will be interesting to see how a one format situation reacts within the industry and their customers? If issues such as lower pricing for hardware or software don't materialize before the end of this year then I have to wonder how positive the mass market will respond to a one format market? IMO, at the very least, Fox, MGM and Disney need to get in line pricing-wise with their catalog titles like the other studios have done. New releases such as those films that had their theatrical run within the last nine months or so needs their MSRP reduced from $39.99 to $34.99 or lower. Will BOGO sales continue to draw interest into HDM? Hardware needs to have some stand-alone player(s) that are south of the $300 price range.

In short, with one single HDM format the fight for survival will now hinge on pricing and whether that pricing entices the masses to adopt this format. Let's face it, for most people having 1080p and lossless audio are terms that can be better comprehended by the mass market public if the price of owning such product is reasonable for today's budgets. Economy-wise, we've seen better times.

Crawdaddy

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
[Sorry; mispost.]

[Edit: Nope, I'm in the right place--was posting in a thread at the same as it was being moved.]

On third thought, could you unpack this a bit please, Jesse?

First, by "product placement" I assume you're referring to what I think is more commonly called merchandising in the retail trade--where product gets physically situated in the store? (Say "product placement" and I think of products getting strategically placed in/used by stars of movies in exchange for the manufacturer of the goods paying money to the movie studio.) But what are you referring to when you say "in-house hardware production"? If you're referring to special model numbers of c.e. gear created exclusively for big box retailers (such as Tosh's HD-D1 first gen HD DVD player), I think that's far more common at WalMart and Costco than BB.

Second, do you mind linking to some stoies that have more language intimating the subtext you mention? I just re-read the TWICE story, which has this one sentence in that regard: "The company noted that it will continue to carry an assortment of HD DVD products for customers who want them."

The reason I ask is because I'm trying to better understand whose "face" you feel is being "saved." It doesn't follow that you're referring to Tosh's face given that you mention Tosh's "long-standing relationship" with BB: if indeed BB was seeking to minimize embarassment to Tosh in the interest of preserving their other business relations, wouldn't (a) BB exec(s) explicitly mention what you're saying is the subtext about HD DVD? In the press I've seen, Brian Dunn and Mike Vitelli don't even mention the format in their approved quotes--the publication does. Their language is all about sending a "strong signal to [their] customers that [they] believe Blu-ray is the right format choice for them."

Or do you mean BB's face? As in, they are prevaricating in their current public statements and what they've already decided to do is abandon HD DVD entirely, as some are saying Par and U have decided even though they aren't saying anything publicly yet?

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
It can be debated--and has ad nauseum--that the number of people who don't care/think SD DVD is good enough for them/think that everything they're looking at on their new flat panel is HD far outnumber the people who are going to respond to any consumer education efforts that could, but are currently not, tak[ing] place. Speaking with One Louder Voice does not necessarily make people pay more attention/care more. I've thoroughly explained the black bars and made the case for the importance of OAR in response to questions from my (Master's degree holder) father a few times. It's not sticking.

[Edit: No insulting comments about how I've inherited obstinate traits from my father please. ;)]

Adam_R

Second Unit
CAUTION: MY THOUGHTS AND OPINIONS AHEAD!

How many times does it have to be over before HD DVD realizes it's over? (and when I say "HD DVD" I am talking about Toshiba, Paramount, Universal and HD DVD supporting consumers)

All Toshiba is doing is losing more and more money on hardware, advertising, etc.

All Paramount and Universal are doing is losing time and money on producing discs for a dead format when they could be selling a LOT more copies on the HD format that was won the "war".

All the HD DVD supporting consumers are doing is spending money on a format that will no longer be producing movies very shortly.

I am having a hard time understanding why everyone is beating this dead horse. It's dead. Bury it and move on. It'll be best for all of us. (and when I say "us", I mean those of us that are interested in HD movies)

David Forbes

Supporting Actor

I second the call for some kind of evidence of this, other than links to David Vaughn's "insider" tips and hints from last year. Even he said that he thinks BD-50 production will ramp up and be fine after Warner's announcement.

Please don't state as a fact -- "production isn't even close" -- without something to back it up.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I wonder how this will affect Paramount's decision to release the Next Hi Def Box set of Star Trek Remastered. I certainly will not buy an expensive set on a format that is for all purposes on the way out. I might by the odd title like Beowolf, but not a $125 set. So I hope They'll decide to release TOS to Blu at some point, I hated the Dual Combo Format on the Last set and had Already decided to wait on a Blu Season 2

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Wal-Mart puts stake through HD DVD's heart | Tech news blog - CNET News.com

htf_images_smilies_banana.gif
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif
:D

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Okay--that's three links to the same article. Bastante.

Hopefully WalMart will formally announce this so there is no question it's true.

Has anyone ever heard of CheckOutBlog.com before? I haven't. How'd CNET get the woman's last name (which I don't see at the blog posting)?

There are documented cases wherein WalMart created fake blogs extolling the virtues of their shopping experience. I'm just sayin' . . .

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

Cool. Honestly, I can understand some skepticism, but throughout this format war news has broke in the strangest of ways, so I don't find this to be all that surprising.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

True!

It's not 100% official until it's official. I suspect Walmart will respond publically soon given the stir this will create.

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor

I couldn't agree more, and maybe it needs to start being voiced more explicitly from us format-neutral, and former HD-only advocates. To me, the most irritating aspect of this obvious winding down of the format, is the lack of forthrightness from the powers that be. They haven't been very communicative during the best of times, and now, with the unceasing avalanche of negative news, the lack of comment and the corporate-speak "form letter" responses at various times gets particularly old. I know...I need to be more in tune with the way such things are carried out in the rarified reaches of the boardroom. Maybe I'm just sick and tired of political behavior in the wake of the past decade or so: the absurdity of the obvious, the deny, deny, deny, deny, deny...truth! syndrome.

It's been a long and (at times) interesting road that we've traveled in support of all things HD. Too often we've had to find our own way, in absence of anything official from the ivory tower. And there have been way too many awkward stretches when the best we could offer ourselves was the shared wink, and assurances of "you just wait and see, they've got great surprises up their sleeves".

I would be a hell of a lot more pissed off right now, had it not been for the marketing strategy of SONY, and their coaxing me into Purple with can't-say-no software prices a few months ago. That's when I started to feel untethered from the vagaries of HD. Let's face it, about the only periods of real assurance were (1) by default, during the opening months when BD was absent, then out of synch, and (2) the Paramount/Dreamworks announcement. Those were about the only times when I had the illusion that someone was at the helm, and they really were intent on winning.

At this point, I hope the Hollywood Reporter story is true. I hope somebody at Toshiba is red-faced about having their linens exposed ahead of time. Anything to crack the sterile mold of suffocating political correctness is welcome by me. Or maybe I've just become too pissy for my own good.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
went neutral a few months back much to wife's chagrin, "Wait, we need ANOTHER player why...?!?!?"

Had fun while it lasted but anyone who can't clearly see the writing on the wall at this point...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks