1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

**Official HTF HD Formats Ind./Retailer/Studio Support Thread-*SEE POST 3176, p. 106*

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Michael Reuben, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Sanjay Gupta

Sanjay Gupta Supporting Actor

Sanjay Gupta
    It seems, they too are now concluding, that Blu-Ray's lead is not merely a one week aberration, but that Blu-Ray is genuinely on it's way to permanent dominance.

2. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Thx, Bill. Great to have some kind of timetable WRT Par and U more specific than 'we'll know before CES 2009.'

3. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Well put David.

I have been one of those saying from day one that the HD-DVD PRG's promotion efforts were pathetic. Imho, BD deserves to win since they did everything no holds barred to promote their format.

I do expect Universal/Paramount to eventually come onboard, but I'm guessing it won't be until the end of the 3rd quarter or so. Like many here, I'll just be glad to see this all end. Adam said that WHV would pick the winner and that retail would follow suit, and this appears to be just what's happening. Exclusive HD-DVD supporters shouldn't be too upset about any of this, as we ultimately knew that WHV would choose the victor.

4. Jari K

Jari K Producer

I sincerely hope that this is true. Next summer, the end of format war? Sounds good to me.

But of course, rumors are rumors at this point..

5. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    At this point the ball is in Toshibas court. Universal and Paramount really don't have a big finanical stake in HD DVD, and if it is going to hang on (even in a spoiler role) is is going to require a financial commitment from Toshiba. Do they want to take that gamble/risk?

6. David Wilkins

David Wilkins Supporting Actor

I'm not familiar with the contract specifics, but at this point I wish Toshiba would be big about it, and release Paramount and Universal to publish on Blu-ray. Maybe that's a terribly naive remark on my part, but seriously, what possible expectations can Toshiba have regarding the future of HD? The potential sales numbers for software and hardware between now and...whenever, probably won't be significant enough to lessen the sting of losing this contest.

7. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Paramount and Universal have already made their decisions about what they are going to do and the time-frame they are going to do it in.

If you listen to the very vauge comments by Universal about their committment to HD DVD exclusivity you can see that they're already setting the stage.

These studios want to sell off much of their HD DVD stock before announcing blu, as their announcements of a shift would completely hault sales of HD DVD software by dealing it the final blow. So they have an interest in letting it ride out gradually and then using the increased dominance of BD in the market as a "public excuse" to switch to blu. That way they can reduce the amount of money they'll lose in the transition and save face at the same time.

8. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Wow, it's like you ran what Bill already said in his post #2671 through your own Babblefish encoder and said . . . the same thing!

Did Kelley Avery and Craig Kornblau call you up and spill? If not, can you at least say 'Par and U have PROBABLY already made their decisions . . .' please? [​IMG]

9. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam

With HDM sales so low (on both formats) it's not like there is a lot at stake for Universal and Paramount at this point. If the source of the funds behind the format goes away (in this case Toshiba), then there is a financial stake that would have to be considered.

10. bigluigi

bigluigi Second Unit

Louis Primeau
    *in best BIG JOHN imitation voice* I"m going to head that one off at the pass.....Pilgrim[​IMG]

11. David Wilkins

David Wilkins Supporting Actor

You'd never know there was a concern about existing inventory, judging by the continuing high prices. The only real break has been the recent 50% off sale at Amazon, and a random sampling of their real-time sales by title, doesn't reveal much a rush to the cash register. And none of the HD sales have been the equal of BD's two for one sales that have ran consistently...at least until lately.

Also...what's with the sensitivity and the delicate dancing, which doesn't exactly reflect on the rest of the market moves. These are large corporations, not blushing brides maids.

12. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

They're large corporations, but ones which will likely want to work together again at some point. Five years from now, Toshiba may be trying to market a 3-D display system, for example, and it would be nice if they could sign Paramount and Universal up to market Beowulf and The Creature from the Black Lagoon for it. Or they could be manufacturing a next-generation digital motion picture camera that the studios want to purchase. No use making enemies.

13. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Paramount Confirms 'Star Trek: Season 2' HD DVD Bump | High-Def Digest

Ya' know, on fourth thought David et al., maybe you're absolutely right even though we can't "prove" it (because it hasn't happened, but has started): maybe the big catalog HD DVD title announcements or other HD DVD affirmations by Par and/or U I've been thinking are in order since CES aren't going to happen. Maybe we'll just see a slow steady creep towards Blu support without ever getting an explicit "uncle!" from the HD DVD "camp." Maybe even Tosh won't ever say they're no longer manufacturing HD DVD players (did Pioneer formally announce cessation of LD player production?) but instead announce a combo. After all, is Tosh making a combo any less likely than Panasonic having made a first gen BD player that supports DVD-A?

According to a Nf rep I spoke with yesterday, they won't even make the HD DVD of Assassination Of Jesse James available for rent on the 26th.

14. bigluigi

bigluigi Second Unit

Louis Primeau
    And what is Toshiba going to do with that ball??? The "experts" seem to already know what Universal and Paramount are going to do. But those "experts" are strangely silent in guessing what Toshiba's next move is ....which, to this observer, is like putting the cart before the horse and guessing where the cart will go.
    Personally, I hope Toshiba stays in the ballgame along with at least one exclusive studio and continues with their policy of offering quality HD players at very affordable prices.

15. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

There are indeed those who feel that the benefits of low-cost hardware outweight the negatives of a format war, despite the fact that once a single format is established, hardware prices will fall just as they did with the single format of DVD. If you're so fond of Toshiba players, perhaps a Toshiba-brand BD/combo player would solve your needs as well as those of the industry moving towards a single-format solution.

16. Sanjay Gupta

Sanjay Gupta
    Was watching 'Lust, Caution' on DVD last night and I couldn't keep from wondering why Universal did not release the film on HD-DVD. Am I the only one who finds it kinda strange, that a studio which supposedly still very strongly backs HD-DVD, will not even release a prominent film such as 'Lust, Caution' from a prominent director like Ang Lee in HD?

17. Sanjay Gupta

Sanjay Gupta
    Actually, the HD-DVD of The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford is not scheduled for release until the 18th of March.

18. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW

Actually, if Tosh gives up HDD and goes Blu (or Purple), they could *really* help drive HDM hardware prices downward by following their HDD player pricing model. [​IMG] Of course, I'm guessing they're not so beneficent to keep *that* up at that point. [​IMG] Still, I can certainly see Tosh being a very good competitor in making and selling BD/combo players. In fact, I can definitely see myself buying a Tosh for my first standalone BD player. My first 2 DVD players were pretty good, very reliable Tosh's too -- though my 3rd Tosh, a changer, wasn't so "hot".

_Man_

19. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    True, but if they they pull HW and financial support it the market will never get any bigger than it is today. HW and SW can't survive independant of each other (if one stops releasing the other won't be far behind).

20. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

If they came out with a fully functional profile 2.0 spec BD/HD DVD combo player at a low cost with great performance that could stream DTS-HD MA/TrueHD over HDMI 1.3, I'd buy it too. [​IMG]