1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

**Official HTF HD Formats Ind./Retailer/Studio Support Thread-*SEE POST 3176, p. 106*

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Michael Reuben, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
  2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Yes, the clock started to run out during the first week of January.

Crawdaddy

3. mike caronia

mike caronia Second Unit

I don't understand Netflix reasoning of not renting HD-DVDs anymore. It's not like they have to make an expenditure, they already OWN their existing media. They are saying I can no longer rent HD DVD discs from them in another month. I can understand them no longer buying new titles, that's their choice. But stuff they already have? C'mon.
    This whole thing sucks for people who bought in this past holiday season.

4. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    Mike, they specifically said that they would continue to rent out current stock and let it naturally be reduced, which I took as meaning no replacements for HD-DVDs that get lost, damaged or sold as used.

5. mike caronia

mike caronia Second Unit

Thanks Brandon. I read the e-mail saying that at the end of the month, anything in my saved list will be switched to SD, and I took that as no more rentals at all. It's just what's in my list now, I can still rent them, but there is no longer going to be an HD DVD preference. Zing.

6. DeanWG

DeanWG Stunt Coordinator

That's not how I read it at all. They said titles in the "SAVED" area will be changed to SD DVD. It won't affect actual items on your queue until sometimes later in the year.

What they are basically saying is that, from this month forward, they will not be adding and NEW HD DVDs, and will keep the existing ones in rotation until they exhaust them - without replacement.

EDIT - Thanks, Brandon. Beat me to it.

7. bigluigi

bigluigi Second Unit

Louis Primeau

8. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    Netflix will be a hard blow to overcome since Blockbuster doesn't rent them in store. I think this is a much bigger deal than the Best Buy annoucement.

I don't think this will have really a huge impact on Universal and Paramount, it's just one more domino falling. HDM is still nothing compared to DVD, so I doubt they will see this on their bottom line. If Blockbuster Online was smart they would continue to rent them as long as titles are bing released. It's a competative market and it could allow them to pick up new customers.

9. David Wilkins

David Wilkins Supporting Actor

You're right, in that it's another domino falling. It doesn't have to be a bottom line issue, the industry-wide statement that this announcement makes is enough unto itself.

Besides, what do we have in the pipeline from Paramount and Universal, anyway? A handful of titles. True, they're relatively high profile titles, but at the rate things are going, they're not going to move large numbers of units in HD.

I, for one, owning both formats, am willing to wait for the inevitable announcement that Paramount and Universal are changing their stance. Having spent the money for a 122 title HD library, I would just as soon spend my future dollars on a format with greater life expectancy. That's just the way it is.

As I've stated before in other threads: Let's get this thing over with. Life is too short, and there's virtually no way to revive the HD format from it's current predicament.

10. DavidJ

DavidJ Producer

David

Despite the protestations by many on this board, I find it hard to justify this move at the business level and I agree that this could be good for Blockbuster if they take advantage of the opportunity. I was already with them, but I know of several people who will switch. This is ironic since Blockbuster in-store long ago picked Blu-ray and their role-out is accelerating. Of course, I have also heard from my Blockbuster moles that Sony is really going to be increasing their in-store presence with store signage/remodels that push the PS3.

11. Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt Insider
    Insider

Best Buy's move has been in the works for a while now. As far as falling dominos, what our sources are telling us is going to happen is that 1) Circuit City will make a similar announcement soon, 2) Paramount will make some kind of format support announcement by the end of April and 3) Universal will follow suit by the end of the summer. There's a degree of face-saving at play here, as well as a desire to sell out existing stocks of HD-DVD hardware and software. Basically, the studios are letting hardware and software sales trends become obvious so as to use that information as a justification for any move to support Blu-ray. It's their best move from both a business standpoint as well as PR.

What's especially interesting about the Netflix move, is that Reed Hastings is on the board at Microsoft. And Microsoft has been unusually silent about the format war since CES, given how vocal their HD-DVD people have always been in the months prior to Warner's announcement.

12. bigluigi

bigluigi Second Unit

Louis Primeau
    Well, your opinion is the current state of satellite/cable technology will not hamper the mass acceptance of the "Blu-ray Experience." I also see that you have utter disdain for the PQ of satellite broadcasting. Is this the prevailing viewpoint of your online HDTV magazine? Just curious. I saw in one issue an article dealing with HD recording.

I am of the opinion that DishNework's offer of a "free" upgrade of an HD-DVR to new subscribers is significant and could seriously affect HDM adoption considering the massive scale of Dish's advertising. With the DVR's huge internal and external storage capacity and unlimited HD content compared to HDM, it does present a highly attractive affordable package that competes very well with HDM.

BTW Lawrence of Arabia looked absolutely spectacular on HDNET.

13. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa

Next Sunday what looks to be an absolute Steller Transfer of the Man Who Shot Libert Valance Premieres can't wait to see that...

14. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    already started the in store presence.
    one store near me has a kiosk on the floor.
    it has a ps3 in a buble connected to a 40" plasma with the ps3 80gig
    bundle circling the kiosk.

i been told that the rest of the stores will begin the big roll out of blu in stores during march.

15. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW

Even if heavily compressed HD copies stored on DVR are good enough for the masses (and it probably is), it might only take one disk failure to convince the average folk that there's still a place for physical media. And it's not like a big external harddisk is completely free afterall even though it's a lot cheaper than buying HDM even when prices do come down.

OTOH, if they're *really* targeting the masses w/ that in mind, I hope they make the DVRs super user-friendly as a large portion of the masses never really figured out how to set the time on their old VCRs (and use them very efficiently for timeshifting) among other things. Many will probably just end up trying to record movies by hitting the record button at the times of the desired broadcasts rather than actually preprogram their recordings at their leisure.

And then again, not everyone is keen on the idea of spending the extra $$$ on digital/HD service and whatever premium HD movie service. While most people do have some type of cable/satellite service, plenty still prefer to keep it simple and cheap, which currently still means analog-only (for basic service) in some cases and no HD in some others. And then, w/ availability (and improving infrastructure) of OTA digital/HD broadcast, some of those "simple and cheap" folks might just revert back to free OTA broadcast only (like me for the past 4 years after trying HD cable for 1 year). Personally, I'd rather just spend the $70-100/month on HDM and not tempt everyone in the family to waste lots of time watching too much junk on TV. [​IMG] [​IMG] The good stuff ends up on physical media (often in better quality) at some point anyhow.

_Man_

16. Sean*O

Sean*O Second Unit

Single SKU combo or Twin releases from the HD studios and HD DVD could not ever be locked out of retail or rental. If they could do it they probably would have already though.

17. bigluigi

bigluigi Second Unit

Louis Primeau
    Man...
    You make some good points........and some bad ones.
    On the subject of "disk failure." There are two assumptions I make everyday and they are: I will live through the day and I will have no disk failures. So far...so good.[​IMG]
    The DVRs are extremely user friendly. Just go to the program list and highlight what you want to record than press the record button. It doesn't get any easier.
    Also costs of basic HD programming is a lot cheaper than the $70-100$ you mentioned.
    Don't get me wrong. I'm looking forward to increased title selections in HDM as much as the next guy...but until than, I'm as happy as a bug in a rug with my HD-DVR.

18. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

19. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    what is npd?

20. Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette Cinematographer