1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

**Official HTF HD Formats Ind./Retailer/Studio Support Thread-*SEE POST 3176, p. 106*

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Michael Reuben, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Screenwriter

The huge cable/satellite/PPV market certainly didn't hamper the explosion of DVD. I think it won't be difficult to sell the "Blu-ray Experience" which goes above and beyond the crappy-looking, ultra-compressed movie-only HD satellite broadcasts - let alone all the multimedia features of the Blu platform.

As for the lack of title announcements, I believe the WB bombshell last month has completely shaken up the field and everyone is regrouping. I think this is the calm before the Blu storm...

2. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    Well, it could be translated as follows....

There isn't enough demand for HD DVD to be profitable, so rather than spend money on purchasing an inventory of upcoming HD DVD discs, they can use the funds to meet the demands for Blu-ray discs.

3. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW

Com'on, Louis. Cheer up. [​IMG] Try looking at the glass as half full from time to time. You might be happier that way. [​IMG]

IF recession fear is driving a Netflix decision regarding HDM, I'd think they should be bullish on both until either one is completely dead. And even then, there's no need to drop whatever existing rental inventory/selection right away since they're not B&M. Afterall, wouldn't you think they should get more business on both due to recession because people won't be buying as many movies, especially at the high prices of HDM? Heck, if you were right about Toshiba's strategy (elsewhere), you'd think Netflix should drop Blu-ray, if anybody at all, and go for that upcoming big market of upconverting DVD players w/ the added bonus to play HDDs. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Anyhoo...

_Man_

4. troy evans

troy evans Screenwriter

Oh, I'm sure it'll happen. The artical on the other hand is BS. Maybe someone can help me here, when exactly did Universal officially say they dropped HD DVD support? See the magazine is setting itself up as saying " we broke the news way back" for when the inevitable does in fact happen. With no sources to back it up this really means nothing. I thought Game Informer was a reputable magazine? Oh well, the've pissed that away now. Bluray has won. There's no doubt about it now. I knew that when WB went Blu. Also, anyone who needs Game Informer to tell them that just isn't keeping up or cares to. So they won't have a profound effect on this anyway. Just my opinion.

5. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten

You do if you think you can help make this a single horse race (that benefits everyone except us few who bought tickets on horse #2) that removes consumer confusion and moves the industry along faster. Concentrating your efforts is a force multiplier

6. Lance Rumbolt

Lance Rumbolt Stunt Coordinator

Read this on another forum... talk about house of cards falling.

BigLuigi, i like the way your posts read but come on man reccession!!

'Best Buy to Recommend Blu-ray as the Customer's Digital Format Choice

February 11, 2008 3:31 PM EST MINNEAPOLIS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--
    Best Buy Co., Inc. (NYSE: BBY) is taking a step forward in addressing consumer confusion about high-definition formats. Beginning in early March, the leading consumer electronics retailer will prominently showcase Blu-ray hardware and software products in its Best Buy retail and online channels in the United States.
    "Consumers have told us that they want us to help lead the way. We've listened to our customers, and we are responding. Best Buy will recommend Blu-ray as the preferred format," said Brian Dunn, Best Buy's president and chief operating officer. "Our decision to shine a spotlight on Blu-ray Disc players and other Blu-ray products is a strong signal to our customers that we believe Blu-ray is the right format choice for them."
    Dunn continued, "Best Buy has always believed that the customer will benefit from a widely-accepted single format that would offer advantages such as product compatibility and expanded content choices. Because we believe that Blu-ray is fast emerging as that single format, we have decided to focus on Blu-ray products."
    "With the explosion of HDTVs, customers are hungry for quality, high definition content. We believe our move to feature Blu-ray should help consumers feel confident in their hi-def content choices," said Mike Vitelli, Best Buy's senior vice president, Home Solutions. "Best Buy is excited by the next generation of digital products and we know our customers are too. We are excited about helping customers find the right mix of products and services to make the next generation of high definition entertainment technology come alive for them. We believe that Blu-ray is the right solution for consumers."
    Best Buy currently carries a wide array of Blu-ray hardware and software products. The company noted that it will continue to carry an assortment of HD-DVD products for customers who desire to purchase these products.
    About Best Buy Co., Inc.'

7. BrettB

BrettB Producer

It would appear that the rumors about the retailers putting an end to this were true and it started today.

8. Lance Rumbolt

Lance Rumbolt Stunt Coordinator

Absolutely i expect to hear more and more over the coming weeks. I want this thing over with so i can start getting my favourite paramount and universal titles on Blu Ray.

9. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

Expected HD DVD excuses and the rebuttal:

1) "This isn't any different than their previous policy"

Not true. This is them saying HD DVD product is out of the re-order queue.

2) "Amazon sells more than they do"

Also not true. See Video Business' article "Best Buy named leading high-def retailer.

3) "They're not going to drop HD DVD"

Well, not explicitly and not right now. But this is no different than Warner's announcement.

4) "This means nothing until Universal and Paramount switch"

HD DVD lost their #1 studio, their #1 retailer, and their #1 online rental source, all within the space of 45 days. How long do you think they will hold out? And that doesn't count the 25+ indie and European distributors (including most of the largest EU suppliers), retailers, and manufacturers that have either dropped HD DVD exclusivity or dropped the format altogether.

10. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

+1

HD DVD lost their #1 studio, their #1 retailer, and their #1 online rental source, all within the space of 45 days. Uni and Para aren't going to dig in their heels anymore.

11. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Reports are that Block Buster is making a similar transition.

I think that the purpose behind NetFlix's decision has been largely passed over in the back-forth comments in this thread.

This isn't an issue of raw profitability: an online software vendor can afford to stock a variety of disc types as long as consumers are requesting them.

The real issue for Netflix is one of consumer-education. It's confusing to new consumers who aren't familiar with the ins and outs of the format war when they come to a vendor like netflix and try to navigate the HD waters. Having two formats just adds to their confusion, and ultimately serves to disuade many consumers from making the transition to HD at all.

Look to this paragraph to see the rationale behind Netflix's move. It's not a slam against HD DVD, it's merely a move to create a single-HD format solution to simplify the HD landscape which, in turn, will aid in consumer education and adoption with HDM.

It's also the same reason that Best-Buy is officially endorsing Blu-ray in their stores by the end of this month. Again, it's not a move against HD DVD so much as a move towards a single-format-solution. Had consumers and the industry embraced HD DVD over Blu-ray in the same way, Best Buy would be pushing HD DVD instead. A single format solution is what average consumers need to wet their appetite for HDM, and the industry needs those consumers.

12. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    I wish their Queue switch for titles available on both was from HD DVD to BD, not HD DVD to SD DVD. Now I gotta go in to my Queues and manually change all those to BD.

13. Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs Screenwriter

That link just leads me to a Make a New Thread page.

14. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Given how it's been the retailers who have been complaining about two formats the loudest and the longest, it's sort of ironic that it's taken them this long to act themselves. With a single format to push, Best Buy can get rid of the "beta/VHS war jitters" of would-be HDM consumers and help folks to move from DVD to HDM... which is the real road ahead.

15. Dave_P.

Dave_P. Supporting Actor

16. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Yeah, it appears to be a flat-out-mistake in the article given that it's referencing events that happened soon after the WB announcement (and Universal most certainly did not say it was moving to blu... at least not publically).

17. Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs Screenwriter

Surely you can see how that would cause a problem? They can't just assume everyone went out and bought Blu-ray players.

18. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    And you're hear to enlighten us all . . . [​IMG]

You and whomever else can repeat the "consumer confusion" talking point until you're Blu in the face but repetition doesn't impart veracity. Consumer apathy is the bigger issue.

19. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Apathy is an even better term. Agreed.

And it's much harder to overcome the apathy of a would-be HDM consumer when there is a format-war in place than when there's a single-format solution that's industry-backed.

20. troy evans

troy evans Screenwriter

Oh please. Best Buy has no choice now. Warner Bros. decided this format war. No one else. BB is just following suit. To say you do it for the customers, come on. If they felt that strongly about it they would have done it from day one. It's good that the war is ending or over. However, I don't know how many of these bullshit press releases I can stomach.