What's new

**Official HTF HD Formats Ind./Retailer/Studio Support Thread-*SEE POST 3176, p. 106* (1 Viewer)

bigluigi

Second Unit
Real Name
Louis Primeau
I think Netflix has 90,000 SD DVD titles (their figures-not mine) and Blu-ray has...what 450. You do the math.....naaaay, I'll do it. It's about one half of 1% of their title choices...some indorsement.:laugh: Open your eyes people. Companies are collectively tightening their belts. HDM, sales wise, is going to be going through a tough period this year. Consumers outside this forum are worried about losing their houses and jobs. Even the studios are hesitant to announce new HD titles for 2008. And, just a word of advice, don't pay attention to what CEO's say....it's what they do that's meaningful. If they can cut costs by dropping HD-DVD, they can also cut costs by dropping BD.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Personally, I'm expecting another three months of exclusivity from Paramount and Universal as they try to purge their existing HD DVD inventories. Everything should line up by June or September, at the latest, in order to position a unified-HDM format to the consumer for the 2008 holiday season.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
I think the soft economy, along with this info, the plateauing of DVD sales, and the fact that HD downloading as a delivery medium is not ready for prime-time (i.e. insufficient bandwidth), indicates to me me that Blu-ray has the potential to be a pretty big growth area. I think we might see some pretty cool things in the months to come.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

Sorry, I'm not buying this for a second. No worthwhile CEO or business is going to be so short-sighted as to do what you're suggesting. The total amount of HDM releases may be scaled back; and I believe we will certainly see a greater emphasis placed on new releases over catalog titles because of their current sales and the nascent HDM market, but companies are not going to stop trying to grow a new disc-based market with the potential for higher revenue over the course of 10 or so years because the economy is bad now.

What they will do is remove what they preceive to be roadblocks to that new market, and, whether people here believe it or not, it is obvious a lot of the decision makers believe two formats are a roadblock to that market.

bigluigi

Second Unit
Real Name
Louis Primeau
I watched Lawrence of Arabia last night in 1080i off HDNET via DishNetwork after recording it off my HD-DVR.

Pardon me but I think the growth area for HD via DBS services has a far greater potential than HDM and has millions of subscribers and is steadily growing. Anyone that thinks this service is not in competition with HDM is sadly mistaken.

I looked at Warners Blu-ray release schedule for 2008 and I will buy only Twister and How the West Was Won. Master & Commander... is the only other Blu-ray title I will buy for 2008. Bummer. If "content is king," than HDM is in real trouble in comparison to DBS HD services for consumer dollars.

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor

Maybe I haven't been listening carefully enough, but I haven't noticed any real gloating. All I've heard are a bunch of people calling it the way they see it.

Everything is obviously going Blu's way. On some level that's painful. Until late November, I was HD only, and have amassed a respectable HD library of 122 titles.

Well over a year ago, people on this forum and others were complaining bitterly about the HD-DVD Consortium's lack of marketing savvy and effort. For a very long time, there seemed to be more format zeal on the part of the average early adopter, than was indicated by those with the most to gain from its success, the most to lose from its failure, and all the professional tools at its disposal to assure its success. They had a very nice head start, but blew their lead by allowing Sony time to get its act together and put people in charge who were dead serious about winning.

At this point in the game, I think it's best to look at the lay of the land and acknowledge the hard cold facts. It's time to put this issue to bed and start enjoying movies again; you know, like back in the old SD forum.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Given the way Universal has been "supporting" HDD so far, I'm guessing we won't know anything until a Universal BD title suddenly shows up at the local BB or CC -- well, ok, in their weekly flyers just beforehand. ;) :laugh:

_Man_

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
"In order to provide the best selection of high-definition titles for our members, we have decided to go exclusively with Blu-ray as well."

A ridiculous non sequitur. In order to provide better selection, they're dropping two studios' worth of titles. :thumbsdown:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks