What's new

**Official HTF HD Formats Ind./Retailer/Studio Support Thread-*SEE POST 3176, p. 106* (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I did end up giving away many of the DVDs that I replaced with their HDM counterpart this past Christmas, it got to the point that the extras didn't prevent me from giving it away, either. Plus, it got too time-consuming to compare DVD/HDM extras, so I just let the DVD version go if I found someone who would enjoy the title.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam

Any combination of the words BOGO and HD DVD or BD is my Kryptonite.

I have around 1900 DVDs and 250 titles on HDM. That has slowed way down with the lack of BOGO, or BOGO where I already have all the titles I want.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
No; the point I was trying to make was that this sort of offer wasn't unprecedented. Disney's done the same thing before, even if some of the details were different.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
And the point I'm making is that the devil is in the unprecedented-but-hardly-minor details: the dollar amount and the fact that Con/Rock/Crimson rep a move beyond the cult following/have-to-buy-it-again-for-the-kids/moratorium nonsense animated titles into live action Bruckheimer territory, the very titles that are already squarely aimed at young, male HDM early adopters.

bigluigi

Second Unit
Real Name
Louis Primeau
...destroy it...before it destroys you... The Time Machine (1960)

IT has taken over my life and I am simply out of control. HELP!!!!:crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Since I've had the HD-DVR installed, I've not been myself. I'm like a kid in a candy store. I'm recording anything and everything that has even the faintest appeal for me. The last time I felt this way was when I was buying DVDs at Columbia House with multiple memberships. I'm 1/2 way through Titanic. I'm 3/4th through The Professional. I don't have time to watch all of Witness so I just skipped to my favorite scene, the barn construction and watched that...love the music! I haven't even started Star Trek IV. I record and watch 2 episodes of ER Mon - Fri and watch just before midnight. Than there's Enterprise and Battlestar Galactica. Thank God I'm retired and can stay up til 2 AM long past when my wife goes to sleep but up at 7 AM for coffee.

Whoops...just got 3 Netflix envelopes in the mail - need to cancel Netflix!!!

Hmmm.....Blu-ray of Edward Scissorhands sitting on desk unopened (when the hell....than there's my stained glass project.......than....) :laugh:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Ooooh! I didn't realize that. I had assumed you can do all 3 -- and I was planning on doing The Rock and Crimson Tide. Oh well... I wonder if they'd believe me if I checked "No" after buying both. :P

Anyway, yeah, definitely fill out those questionaires, especially this early in the life cycle of HDM. I remember filling out all the questionaires I got back in the earlier days of DVD w/ "I want 16x9 enhancement" (or something like that) as something important I wanted from Disney and Paramount.

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Yep. Besides this latest rebate, they also offered a $10 coupon inside the SE DVD (not sure about regular version) of Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End toward the BD purchase/upgrade at a retail store. I was going to use the coupon too, but ended up getting a better deal from Amazon -- and Amazon doesn't accept the coupon. The rebate approach probably works better for us since it can work w/ online purchases (for better pricing).

There were other mail-in promos too -- not too different from B2GO -- back in the earlier days of DVD, IIRC. Warner (and a couple others, including Sony IIRC) had a long running one where it was basically B3GO I think -- and they changed the list of free titles from time to time. For a few years, some of us even saved the edge sticker label w/ UPC code for all our DVDs just so we can use them as proofs of purchase rather than mutilate the case cover (although Warner's snapper cases usually offered plenty of perforated PoPs inside the spine to remedy that). :D

_Man_

bigluigi

Second Unit
Real Name
Louis Primeau

"NUTS" ----- Patton(1970)
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Overall sales of all disk based content is slipping, from DVD's to CD's, being replaced by downloads, not a new disk format. It is the demand for all disk content that is in decline.

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
Son of a...!!

I am a blu supporter but recently bought an A30 just so I could watch the HD titles that aren't available on Blu-ray, intending to pretty much rent them from Netflix....
Guess this means if I want to see any new titles like There Will Be Blood on HD, I'll either have to wait for the BD or just buy the HD version...

Sigh... Hopefully this will mean they'll increase their stock of new BD titles, so there aren't as many Long Wait titles.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
This is VERY telling. As far as I know Netflix is not space constrained like a B&M video store would be, so they must be doing this for cost reasons rather than space. And if they arent making any money at supporting both formats, even if they have to buy the MEAGER selection Uni and Paramount are putting out, and despite the fact that HD DVD supporters have flocked to them due to B&M closing out HD DVD disk rentals, this is a huuuuuuuge blow to the format IMO, almost as big as the Warner move. Just my opinion of course but this seems very big to me.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Any news like this moving forward should NOT be a surprise. The Warner announcement was the definitive announcement in this format war and will just continue the domino effect.

bigluigi

Second Unit
Real Name
Louis Primeau
I think it's more a "sign of the times." I'm afraid that recession fears are the primary reason for this announcement rather than any endorsement of Blu-ray. Who knows. If the economy gets much worse, Netflix next announcement could be suspension of HD media altogether in favor of SD DVD until....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks