What's new

*** Official HTF HD Formats Comparison Thread *See Post 957, p. 32* (1 Viewer)

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
While development costs have certainly been a factor in part of the change, Sony's inability to execute is more to blame. I haven't seen any of the MS exclusive titles jumping ship. As far as Sony's second party developers, that number has dwindled.

Averry

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew

This is true, but believe it or not, it definately impacts the HD-DVD Blu-Ray fiasco.

Halo 2 sold like, 7 million copies. There are about half that number of PS3's sold.

Grand Theft Auto will sell violently more on 360 than on PS3. And that used to be Playstations main title back in the day.

Sony has been LOOSING exclusives. Not gaining.

And once again, the majority of PS3's available this holiday, if not the only version available, will be the $600 version.

And then the Wii doesn't even play DVD's. What the hell.

Brian Kaz

Second Unit
So not Metal Gear Solid, Gran Turismo or Final Fantasy? Speaking of GTA, the newest rumor is Sony may be purchasing Rockstar (who's making a couple of exclusive games for them). Should be interesting if that pans out.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Thanks for reply post #51, David. My lingering negative viscera over becoming an Amazon Marketplace seller is partly driven by my experiences as a buyer: those experiences have been much better with B&Ms selling online via Marketplace (i.e. Spun, Second Spin and Wherehouse) compared to individuals. It reached a point wherein I willingly pay small premiums to those merchants over an unknown because I know the product will be in as-advertised condition and ship promptly.

I'll give it a try with a couple discs. Just got the Reign Of Fire and Enemy Of the State BDs and am selling the SDs. I'd surmise those kinds of titles--older and which therefore have a glut already for sale--might move slower, if at all.

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor

Apologies in advance folks!

I agree with Thomas on this subject.

As far as those 3 titles go, Konami's signaling they intend to move over to supporting the 360, but haven't commited to this MGS on the 360 yet.

Gran Turismo can't keep selling forever, there's only so many times you can sell the same exact game.

Final Fantasy's lost alot of steam, no breakout since FF7, and Square's indicating an intent to go Multi-platform again, repeatedly emphasizing that their newest engine is easily portable.

Rockstar, IIRC, is owned by Take Two, so it's not a simple purchase. They're also an unreliable studio with *alot* of potential to be a black hole for cash. Hot Coffee wasn't cheap, and alot of their games are really pushing it on acceptability and are outright not permissable in some countries. Rockstar's Profitability has alot of "If's" associated with it due to legal issues, and like Gran Turismo, you can only sell the same game so many times.

Jonathan Kaye

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Kaye

Hehe, if you're going to put a word in caps, best spell it correctly. We don't want you LOSING friends, do we?:)

/pedant

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I suppose it's fun to comment on certain things without having any real basis of fact but....

It's purely subjective of course but I can't find a way to agree with that statement. Microsoft's console has an incredible holiday lineup (one of the best I've seen in the past few years as a gamer) and outside of a few key first party titles (like Uncharted, Ratchet, and Heavenly Sword) I'm not seeing much from Sony or its third parties to combat it.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
Blu-ray does have an advantage but twice nothing is still nothing. Only a fraction of consumers have been heard from. HD-DVD is the closest to reaching a mass market price. This could be critical in getting hd-dvd into the largest electronics seller in the world, the dreaded walmart. While they offer both formats online, they carry neither format in their stores. These consumer are unlikely to know which studio is supporting which. If it is not available in hd then they will likely get it in SD.

Will the strategy work? Who knows? However it was ordinary consumers who decided that longer taping time on vhs was more important than betamax's higher picture quality.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

And there is no comparison between for tape length when it comes to the HD formats. Arguably the closest we can come to is storage capacity and 9/10 of consumers aren't going to care what type of disc a movie is on.

I do believe this is all going to come down to value for the money, as all things do: the value of having a standalone BR/HD player versus a game system like the 360 versus the game player/media storage device like a PS3.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
The thing I don't understand-and probably never will-in the AP article is Kornblau insisting internet connectivity and the "immersive experience" is going to decide all this. The average person doesn't care about ringtones or wallpapers or whatever other bells and whistles you can get on, say the HD 300 disc. In order to access these things, you need an internet connection. A high speed connection, to be specific. Are you always going to be in a position where a connection exists? No. Until we get the entire country working on wireless internet, it will be an artificial feather in Universal's hat.

(The same can be said about BR, for the record.)

MarekM

Supporting Actor
if we take 250,000 together for 300 :
% and numbers of units...

math by user from avs :) I was lazy to check, so I hope he is correct

Averry

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew

Well, I guess it's kinda of a situation where anything more, is something more.

My 360 is on wireless. I know I'm the exception, but it's handy.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member

We could posit from this, that if Universal were neutral, they'd probably have moved an additional 30364 units of HOT FUZZ.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Look's like both formats have an even split in the top 10.

5 for BD
5 for HD-DVD

Not bad for a so-called "dead" format.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks