What's new

Official HTF DVD Review - The Hitcher (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Note that much of this review is based on my review of the HD DVD version which can be found here:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/....php?p=3159232
ronsreviews_covers_81956.jpg

The Hitcher (2007)

DVD Title: The Hitcher
Rated: R
Screen format: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.40:1
Studio: Universal
First theatrical release: January 19, 2007
Other format releases: Day and Date with HD DVD/ DVD combo disk and a fullscreen DVD
Director: Dave Meyers
Starring: Sean Bean, Sophia Bush, Zachary Knighton and Neal McDonough
Sound Formats: English and French Dolby Digital 5.1
Length: 1 Hour, 24 Minutes
Subtitles: English, Spanish, French

Plot: 3.5/5
Director Dave Meyers updates 1986’s cult classic of horror, The Hitcher with a very faithful adaptation. College sweethearts Jim (Knighton) and Grace (Bush) are on the road to spring break when they nearly kill a stranger stranded in the middle of a deluge. The hitchhiker claims to be John Ryder (Bean), but things turn violent very quickly as Ryder attacks the young couple but is forced out of the car. Ryder knows where they are headed tho and manages to pick up Grace’s Cell in the scuffle, and begins a cross county chase, managing to make it look like the two are the ones who are responsible for other cruel and bloody murders he has caused.

Fans of the 1986 original were left scratching their heads when this remake was announced: Would it be a big budget re-imagining with a mostly new plot, would it be a shot for shot remake like Psycho? Is it a money grab or is it an honest effort by people who genuinely liked the first one? The truth seems to be is that it’s somewhere in the middle of all of these possibilities. The plot is almost identical with a few interesting changes. The cast’s performances truly do resonate with the performances of those in the original roles while adding their own twists and personality. The director did pump up the action sequences and bring more sex appeal in.

The question then becomes is this a GOOD or innovative Hitcher? For my money I will take the original every time if I had to choose between them. Rutger Hauer’s performance is simply among the most amazing I had ever seen out of any actor, the story line was so radically different from any other movie I had seen, and the tension that the full package induced was totally palpable. Over the last twenty years I must have watched the original a dozen times and every viewing I have been completely engrossed and totally creeped out. This version is certainly a lot slicker and just as entertaining, but something about it just never reaches the level of electricity that hooked me about the original. On it’s own merits it’s an average drama with some good kicks and fun action sequences, but I will be shocked if it generates anywhere near the following of its predecessor. Still it's a well crafted, fun romp with well done effects and crashes, a strong cast, and even the main car is a star.

Sound Quality: 4/5
Comparing the Dolby Digital 5.1 English track on this DVD to the DD Plus 5.1 on the HD DVD side is rather difficult but I did notice just a hint less surround presence. I cannot state catagorically whether this is due to my particular setup or the tracks themselves but it was definitly a different feel. For this reason I rate the sound on this version a 4 versus a 4.5. This is still a very good surround track but there's just something missing.

The Hitcher has an absolutely electric sound track that incorporates a dynamic mix of surround effects with brilliantly matched musical tracks. Foremost among the effects are the rumble of the fourth star of the film, the Oldsmobile 442. The deep guttural roar of its engine can be felt through positional effects that pan well, which is something that often trips up the bass end of a film’s mix. During the action sequences other cars, helicopters, big rigs, gunfire and explosions are well represented from all corners with biting clarity and sharp punch. Dialogue is similarly clear and balanced across the front sound stage, with occasional bits coming from off screen being well done in the surrounds.

Composer Steve Jablonsky has contributed some effective background music but it is the inclusion of several well known tracks that really drive the film. Chief among these is Nine Inch Nails’ “Closer”, which is particularly well embedded in the signature action sequence about three quarters through the film. I cannot think of any other track which has the emotional impact that this song does in the context it is used in here, and it was during this song that I felt most closely connected to the original 1986 film. It’s also completely enveloping, like the rest of the soundtrack, and with all 6 speakers pumping electronica fronted with disturbing lyrics, it’s quite memorable. Overall this sequence is amazingly well done, and probably a scene I will utilize multiple times to showcase the HD DVD format. While I found that the DD 5.1 soundtrack does not match the level of quality that the DD 5.1 Plus reaches, it was still impessive and had I not had the HD transfer to compare it with I probably would have been even more enthused with it.

Visual Quality: 4.5/5
Despite being a very dark film and taking place at night, the anamorphic widescreen transfer of The Hitcher holds up very well in comparison to the 1080P HD version on the HD DVD. Both are well detailed transfers that has very little noise or other artifacts, which is a tribute to both the technology behind the transfers and the fantastic choices for original film stock. Of course the HD DVD version has vastly more information and detail available but the DVD transfer is still very crisp and sharp.

As most of the action is night time based colors are not the strong suit of the film but that doesn’t mean that they are lacking in any way, just that there are very few opportunities for the range of color to really make itself a presence. The film itself is in crystal clear shape, with not a pop, tear or sparkle to be found anywhere.

In particular the DVD transfer manages to completely capture the essence of the scenery shots which frame every road with utmost crafting, from smoggy and claustrophobic industrial/urban highways at the beginning to dark and rainy backhightways where the initial confrontation takes place to the wide open Texas and New Mexico landscapes which comprise the main body of the film.

The Hitcher is also one of the sharpest films I have seen, and this goes equally for both the stark close-ups of Ryder’s craggy face and the wide angle vistas. While not as detailed as the HD transfer, this DVD manages to capture the bulk of the detail to be found in every scene. As I noted in my HD review, on several occaissions I simply had to pause the action and marvel at the level of detail where it was actually possible to count individual rain drops. While the DVD did not meet up with that level of impessiveness it was still remarkably appealing in motion.

As noted above the 'Closer' action sequence is probably going to be one of my new HD demo material segments and the video side of this clip matches every bit of the excellence of the audio portions. While this is an easy choice, there are half a dozen other sections that are just as impressive, from the detailed rain fall to the steamy motel room to the quesy desperation when the couple is locked up in a jail cell. They all look great, but it is this one segment that I think most people will remember. The DVD counterparts to each of these hold up well to the HD versions, with the obvious loss of detail that is to be expected.

Extra Features: 4.5/5
For a package that does not bill itself as any kind of special edition, The Hitcher is surprisingly packed with extras. The meat of the extras can be found in 20 minutes of deleted scenes and 3 separate featurettes. Perhaps most interestingly, the lion’s share of the deleted scenes are all from the same segment of the movie about ¾ of the way through where Jim and Grace are hiding out in a Motel. This one scene was filmed about a half dozen different times with startlingly different results. On one hand this could get boring quickly but on the other it gives great insight into the leeway the director gave to the cast and also how much of the film came together in the editing process, despite having been a remake! Also note that a number of alternate takes in the end sequence are included, and it’s plain to see that the one actually used was the best choice.

Next up is Road Kill which goes into great depth on the signature action sequence featuring state police in cars and helicopters tracking down Jim and Grace while they are pursued by the hitcher in a sports car. Also included is a complete ‘Making of’ featurette titled Fuel your Fear which interviews the usual suspects in the cast and crew.

Also included is a ‘Day in the life’ of actor Knighton. I won’t give away what makes this particular day special to him, but the scenes he is involved in are among the most interesting to effects nuts. I could have lived without the gratuitous shots of his ass crack and the timing of his bathroom break, but once he’s out of bed this stops being an episode of entourage and starts being a pretty compelling addition.

Overall: 4/5 (not an average)
On its own, this version of The Hitcher stands up pretty well but I was not convinced that it is in any way a replacement for one of my favorite films growing up. There is a lot to like here, including a terrific transfer, decent action sequences, a sexy co-star and even Sean Bean channels Rutger Hauer pretty well, even if he doesn’t reach quite the level of insanity or indifference that the original Hitcher had.

For these reasons I'm tagging this as 'Recommended'. While I'm a bigger fan of the original, this remake has enough to stand on its own that transcends the failings I can lay on it because of that history. Hopefully what it can do is get those who are introduced to the Hitcher by this release to go back and see the original and get a look at that truly revolutionary film.

While the DVD release misses out on the U-Control segments found on the HD DVD version and the obvious limitations of Anamorphic Widescreen versus 1080P and Dolby Digital versus Dolby Digital Plus, I could be very happy with just this version. If HD were not a reality or if I was not an HD enabled consumer, I would definitly snap up the Hitcher DVD to add to my collection. Given that the HD DVD has BOTH the HD and SD versions on a single disk, that might be a great choice for many people as well if cost is not a concern or if you can get that version at a reasonable cost down the line.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks