What's new

**Official HTF Cable Comparison!** (1 Viewer)

Sundar Prasad

Stunt Coordinator
Saurav - no I am not new. I just usually never post unless I have nothing better to do
biggrin.gif
I have been reading this stuff on RAHE (rec.audio.high-end, a usenet group) since 1989.
This beast called 'degradation' - is there any objective measurement of its effects on the sound emanating from the speakers at the end of the chain? Also, assuming that this so called degradation is predominantly a linear process (most physical and electrical phenomena are), then there are problems with how 6 feet of designer power cord connected at the end of 600 miles (a reasonable number I think) of standard power transmission wire is going to produce a different quality of electricity than a stock power cord. In math terms, let the 'degradation' in non-boutique power cable be of the order of 1 LOA/foot of cable. LOA stands for Loss of Airiness, a mystifying phrase used by many audiophile scribes. Now 600 miles = 3,168,000 feet. The total degradation loss from generator to wall socket is 3,168,000 LOA units. I add 6 feet of stock cord. Total loss is 3,168,006 LOA. I replace stock power cord with a frickin' Black Mamba which say for sake of argument superconducts at room temperature. Thus no additional LOA is added between wall socket and amplifier.
The signal to my amp is now cleaner by 0.000189%. I will be damned if someone can prove that this difference is audible in a normal listening space EVEN if I satisfy the straw-man requirement of 'differences can be heard only if you have high resolution components'.
Re. the apples vs. oranges thing - all I am saying is that a competent interconnect does not have to be expensive. All other permutations of competence and cost should agree with the above opinion of mine.
Also, in all the years that I have seen people on both sides of this camp expressing their opinions on this decidedly controversial and undying subject, I have never begrudged anyone for their choice in spending large sums of money on a product and enjoying the results of that purchase. They have every right to do so - heck I do it in my own way - I buy an expensive front projector when a 20 inch RCA TV suits my friend just fine.
My only problem is with those same people turning around and cluck-clucking about the reduced performance I must be getting because I have not made the same equipment choices as they have. When I ask for good reasons as to why they think so - especially with respect to cables - I am given technobabble. I have seen this with idiots who have no concept of signal theory, fourier analysis etc. who insist that digitizing audio at 44.1 kHz results in loss of audible information between samples, and that LP's have infinite bandwidth/resolution.
In conclusion - my argument has never been against a company selling snake oil or a person paying big money and enjoying it. More power to them. I have a problem with the way the product is presented in their so called 'white papers' which spew truckloads of nonsense about the technical merits of their creations. This unfortunately also filters down to the non-technical consumer who is routinely fed misinformation about cables by salesmen in high-end and mass market stores. Not knowing any better, the customer is suckered into buying something that they didn't really need in the first place. The principle of caveat emptor could be applied here, but I feel that in a field as technical and confusing as audio/video, the customer has a right to be given objective and truthful information before they make a choice about the cost vs benefit of a product they are about to purchase. This is especially true when it comes to cables of any kind.
p.s. just after I posted this I read Brian's note. I completely agree that power can be polluted. Hell I see it clearly in my TV which is near pristine between the hours of 3 am to 7 am. After that as people wake up and switch everything on, a lot of line hash gets through and the image quality suffers probably as a consequence of both dirty power and a dirty cable signal. However, any form of hardware to clean up the incoming power has orders of magnitude more benefit on the performance of electronics connected to it than the cable between the power conditioner and the amp. This can also be shown objectively.
No more posts on this topic from me. We must just agree to disagree.
[Edited last by Sundar Prasad on October 31, 2001 at 07:55 PM]

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
and that LP's have infinite bandwidth/resolution
Nope. They just sound better :) I think it's been proven that the practical dynamic range capability of CDs is higher than that of LPs. In my system, I prefer the sound of LPs to CDs, and I've compared CD and LP recordings of teh same album (not double blind, not level matched, and actually the CD plays louder). But then, my analog front end MSRP's for over $1000, and my CD player for $250, so that's not exactly a fair comparision.
LP's do have a higher theoretically possible bandwidth than CDs though, and if you accept the possibility that our sense of hearing does respond in some subconscious way to frequencies above 20 kHz even though we can't consciously hear these frequencies, then there's another possible reason for LPs sounding better than CDs. At the other end of the frequency spectrum, we can certainly "feel" sound waves with frequencies below 20 Hz, if the amplitude is high enough, even though we cannot "hear" them. So, the idea that we might respond to higher frequencies doesn't sound completely impossible to me.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
No more posts on this topic from me. We must just agree to disagree.
If you decide to stick by that, it would be a pity, because you are one of the few articulate and courteous "naysayers" I've had the pleasure of communicating with, and I'm thoroughly enjoying this discussion with you.
And about your comment that a power conditioner will have much more impact than a power cord - I agree 100%.

Kevin Coleman

Second Unit
Sundar Said:
quote: My only problem is with those same people turning around and cluck-clucking about the reduced performance I must be getting because I have not made the same equipment choices as they have.[/quote]
Saurav Said: quote: I am sorry about that. If I ever came across someone who said something like that to me, I would have a problem with that too.[/quote]
http://www.obisreviews.com/main3nf.html
[Edited last by Kevin Coleman on October 31, 2001 at 09:01 PM]

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
On a "price vs. performance" basis, the Liberty is a great cable at a great price. But, if you are willing to spend more to get more, the BetterCables Silver Serpent is clearly the best video cable I have ever used (pun intended).
I don't see any implication that this is a must-have cable, and that anything else is less than adequate. At the beginning of the review, he also says that the Liberty was better than some other more expensive cables.
This is the review that I read: http://www.obisreviews.com/reviews/silverserpent.html
If this isn't the review that you're talking about, I'd appreciate it if you could give me the product name, or link to the actual page (right click on the page, select properties and copy the URL information). I think there's a good chance we're talking about different reviews here.
OK, maybe I see where you're coming from... just by saying that it's the best cable he's ever used, he is saying that anything else is inadequate? I would beg to differ. It's one thing to review a component, it's quite another to tell someone else that their system is compromised because of their component choices. For starters, this review is applicable only to the reviewer's system, and just because he saw an improvement doesn't mean anyone else with any other system will see the same improvement. Hence, I don't see a review like this as saying "you have to have this as your bare minimum or else you don't know what you're doing".
Just the way I see it... I guess we just differ on that.

Kevin Coleman

Second Unit
Saurav,
Yes that is the right review. I didn't know the frames messed up the link sorry.
As far as the review goes I guess everybody in the home theater hobby is not as anal as I am. I would think we would all want the best picture money can buy. I just don't think you need to spend as much as Obi did to buy competently built good quality cables. It is really not rocket science. IMHO once cables are built to a certain standard it really doasn't matter how much extra crap they put on them after that the picture is not going to just magically get better. First rate quality cables can be made at home for about a third of the price Obi paid. They might not look as pretty on the outside and you won't be able to say "I have Bettercables" but you will have more than adequate cables plus a bunch of money left over to buy software.
Kevin C. :)

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
Well, I think that's a totally justified opinion, and I can easily accept what you're saying.

AjayM

Screenwriter
As far as the review goes I guess everybody in the home theater hobby is not as anal as I am. I would think we would all want the best picture money can buy. I just don't think you need to spend as much as Obi did to buy competently built good quality cables. It is really not rocket science. IMHO once cables are built to a certain standard it really doasn't matter how much extra crap they put on them after that the picture is not going to just magically get better. First rate quality cables can be made at home for about a third of the price Obi paid. They might not look as pretty on the outside and you won't be able to say "I have Bettercables" but you will have more than adequate cables plus a bunch of money left over to buy software.
But have you compared a home-made cable to the Bettercables that Obi is using? Do you have similiar level of video gear that Obi has? You get upset when somebody sits there and says "this is the cable you need to have, if you don't then you're less of a person" :) But you are saying exactly the same thing, just in reverse. I just don't understand the 'if he spent $x dollars more than $y, they are falling for that evil cable companies marketing hype'. I understand your point on making cables, I've had good success doing the exact same thing (everything from interconnects to speaker cables to video cables), and despite how cheap DIY cables are you are building a boutique level cable (but your own time is free).
I just don't see how somebody can make comments about what others see and hear without actually trying those products out for themselves. If I were out looking at a new Porsche 911, and you've never driven/sat-in/been near one, would you tell me how it drives badly, and is uncomfortable to sit in, etc? And then go on to tell me that I'd be crazy not to be buying a Honda Accord (cause I'd have enough $$$ left over to buy gas for the next 5 years).
Andrew
------------------

Leon Liew

Stunt Coordinator
Hubert, I totally agree with you. Its the fundemantal
right of all manufacturers to standby their products'
performances and quality. No doubt about it. As for my
spending on the cables its about 10% of my total
HT system.

Mike Knapp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I have the same level of video equipment that Obi has. I recommended the Silver Serpents to him based on my trials. We both reached the same conclusion.
You take it from there.
Mike

Jim A. Banville

Supporting Actor
I HONESTLY think that if someone was secure in the fact that premium cables outperform generic cables, they would champion the efforts of the feeble minded nay-sayers to "prove it" in a double-blind test with various members of this forum. If I owned a Porsche 911, and people thought it didn't perform any better than a VW Jetta, I'd be more than happy to PROVE it on a closed racetrack :) If I was insecure about it, I'd make up excuses as how we couldn't fairly compare the two cars for every reason under the sun, and I'd add, "Just test drive one (and forget that you're in a Porsche)".

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Jim, how dare you suggest that seeking and verifying objective truth has any value. :)

Mike Knapp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
quote: they would champion the efforts of the feeble minded nay-sayers to "prove it" in a double-blind test with various members of this forum. [/quote]
If we gave a flying shit what you guys thought about cables we may just do that...but alas we do not.
quote: If I owned a Porsche 911, and people thought it didn't perform any better than a VW Jetta, I'd be more than happy to PROVE it on a closed racetrack [/quote]
No you wouldnt, you would simply laugh at those that wished you to prove it. At least that is what I would do
Mike
[Edited last by Mike Knapp on November 01, 2001 at 01:00 PM]

Mark Rich

Second Unit
Just curious if you guys who recommend the silver based cables re-calibrated your monitors after installation before jumping up and down with joy as to how great they are? My experience with silver type cables seem to indicate that once the monitor is re-calibrated there is no difference between them and decent copper cables! Yes I believe that good cables can improve the performance of a system. But you do not need to spend a lot of money on over hyped, over priced cables. Just buy some decent broadcast quality cables. If the software is produced using these cables.....

Mike Knapp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
If the cables made no difference why would you need to re-calibrate? If you need to re-calibrate, the cables made a difference.
Sounds logical to me.
Mike

Alex F.

Second Unit
To: Robert and all those who demand DBTs:
OK, then, go to it. You want it, need it, demand it of others? Then take personal responsibility to arrange and participate in a DBT or SBT. Use your own ears and eyes. It's the very least you can do. It's embarrassing for someone to pontificate on matters in which he has no personal experience. And it's an insult to others who have such experience.
It's not up to others who already know what differences cables can make. Such folks have left you behind and moved on. You, on the other hand, play with personal "theories," flail about at others, and take no worthwhile action. Words are cheap. Actions have value. For once, do something that has value. Then come back with the details of the DBT or SBT in which you participated. Then you, too, can move on.
[Edited last by Alex F. on November 01, 2001 at 01:04 PM]

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
quote: If we gave a flying shit [/quote]
It's the purveyors of this stuff who obviously DO "give a flying shit", given the amount of advertising dollars they spend and the efforts they undertake to have their products favorably reviewed so that more can be sold. It's THEY who are asked to prove their claims, and it's a valid request, notwithstanding the rather silly argument that any attempt to verify a claim or any attempt at all to separate valid ideas from invalid ones or even label them as such is somehow "insulting" to the tender sensibilities of those who want to believe anything they "feel" is true.
Of course, it is recognized that some "true believers" are immune to any challenge of their ideas, but its reasonable to think that SOME will be enlightened, hence the efforts.
By the way, the burden of proof is on those making an extraordinary claim (which cable "differences" are).
[Edited last by RobertR on November 01, 2001 at 01:26 PM]

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I love cable threads. With such warring philosophies, the actual subject, cables, doesn't even matter anymore. You could substitute "Doritos" for cables and it wouldn't matter. I've done this, btw.
I've never taken part in a DBT. Heck, I've never even done the "foam side/Edge side" thing, or had those sneaky Folgers people screwin' with my coffee*, but I've got a quesion. Is it possible that there are some audible differences among "Doritos" that might not be identified in a quick "switcheroo" type test? Like maybe some perceptions are formed over time? Or is everthing there is to hear immediately obvious? (Don't ask me "Like what?", 'cus I don't know.)
*Why don't they ever substitute regular coffee for decaf? Now that would be entertaining. Actually, they stopped doing this years ago, I think, so we can relax.
[Edited last by Jack Gilvey on November 01, 2001 at 01:29 PM]

AjayM

Screenwriter
If I owned a Porsche 911, and people thought it didn't perform any better than a VW Jetta, I'd be more than happy to PROVE it on a closed racetrack If I was insecure about it, I'd make up excuses as how we couldn't fairly compare the two cars for every reason under the sun, and I'd add, "Just test drive one (and forget that you're in a Porsche)".
But you would be making up all kinds of excuses if we were going to compare lap times only, except your Porsche has to go around the Ring in Germany (what is it, like 15 miles) and the Jetta has to go around a parking lot autocross course. That wouldn't be a fair test would it? So again, was my outline unfair in some way? If so, how was it unfair? How would you make it fair? Contribute to setting up a fair test, instead of saying how people like me are making excuses (except I didn't make any).
Why aren't people like Nousaine doing a DBT on cables to end this tragic cable stronghold on people (couldn't be that they would be afraid the results may go against them, could it)?
Andrew
------------------

Alex F.

Second Unit
Robert:
As I thought. Let others take responsibility for YOUR needs. What is it like to live in a world when everybody else must satisfy and answer to you?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks