What's new

*** Official HP 1080p md5880n/md6580n discussion thread *** (1 Viewer)

Eric_Connelly

Second Unit
HP sucks!

Plain and simple. They've lost millions upon millions of dollars in contracts to big companies for issues like this.

I know, I fought long and hard to get them dropped as a supplier although they put their own nails in the coffin with very little effort from me. I just saw it coming.

The sad thing is...I want one....I want something that for sure does 1080p and have heard the nightmares about JVC and although I love my GW don't want the dumbo ears.

I have to find a local dealer for these and see whats up.

John Alvarez

Screenwriter

I had planned on putting it on a stand that goes with my entertainment center. Does this screw up the routing?

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

Interestingly, because my stand includes an access hole right below the front input panel I used it for all my wiring needs and didn't even realize these tunnels (front and back) are there. Also, the front tunnel is hidden below the front access door so you don't even know it's there until you look for it. Just goes to show you that it sometimes pays to "RTFM"

:laugh:

Seriously, the wire management on this set is even better than I first thought, allowing a wide range of custom installations and access. In fact, now that I have "discovered" the tunnel to the rear I may just route my wires through that so they don't interfere with equipment I will be placing on the stand's shelf right below the TV. (Guess which upcoming 1080p format playback devices I'm saving some space for.)

;)

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
The picture was great. This was the first time I had seen ABC-HD. The only network channel that I used to have was CBS-HD in the DISH lineup.

Although all other locals in MPEG4 HD just rolled out on The Dish Network for NY on February 1, I won't see them all until February 22 when my MPEG4 box arrives. DISH provided a special MPEG2 feed for ABC-HD just for Superbowl Sunday. Now during the Olympics they are providing HD coverage from NBC the same way (MPEG4 converted to MPEG2 so the legacy boxes work.) That also looks excellent (the few things I've seen so far - mostly preview stuff).

Let me put it all into perspective. You saw my SONY VW10HT in action with HD about 5 years ago. The Runco was even better - much better. The HP blows it away (1080p vs. 720p so it's really no contest.)

:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

John Alvarez

Screenwriter
Robert,
I have Dish also. When I get my new set what box should I be upgrading to? I want a dual tuner with dvr.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Benjamin:

I would if I had the cash. The issue with RAF was the company that he bought the HP from. After he got one shipped from HP directly he didn't have a problem. If Best Buy, Circuit City or Sears starts selling these sets I don't see getting a replacement an issue. For what this set can do it is one of the better ones out there at this time for 1080p.

Parker

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

john,

You'll want to get the ViP622. You can view the details about this unit here. This is a top notch unit! An HD Dual Tuner (+ OTA) DVR that is both MPEG2 and MPEG4 compatible. For existing DISH customers the price for a leased unit is $299 including installation of any needed parts to get HD + $6/month lease fee. This is a replacement for the current Model 942 which is MPEG2 only (so it won't get most of the NEW HD channels).

If you wait until April they are having a rebate of $200 for people with current 921 and 942 Dual Tuner HD DVRs (I have one of both) so I'll be waiting until then to switch them over to 622s for $99 each! For now I'm getting just a 622 for the HT and I'm giving them a plain Vanilla 301 (no HD) in exchange since I'm not waiting for the rebate on this one. My scheduled installation date is 2/22 and it is my understanding that DISH is actually starting the first installations of this product around 2/15, even though they've been taking orders since 2/1.

Good luck.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Like Parker said, the only way I would recommend this set is if you can guarantee that your dealer will handle any replacement in the event that you get a DOA unit. My mistake was relying on HP Service to handle service and replacement efficiently and promptly. The resulting ordeal was something that I shouldn't have gone through. While my dealer relied on the premise that HP would support their product (something I can't fault him for) HP let him down big time. I would strongly suggest upfront that you find out if your dealer will replace a faulty unit from his own stock and handle the HP details himself. If he won't agree to this then I would definitely wait and look elsewhere for a set from a different manufacturer.

Unfortunately, as of right now there's only the HP, a Brillian (small outfit but very nice units) and the SONY FP that provide full 1080p input over HDMI. This situation will change over the next year although right now this is all vaporware until sets actually ship.

The HP is outstanding. HP's direct warranty replacement process is not!

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
John,

I placed my M&K S150AC angled center channel speaker on the floor right in front of the stand, angled up (as I had it in front of my Pioneer Elite Pro-75 once I had installed the Stewart Screen.) It works fine there and is also used when the screen is down.

In the next couple of weeks I hope to have new pictures and comments on my HT web site. For now here's an old picture of the Pioneer Pro-75 in place, circa 1999. At that time (pre-FP) I placed the center speaker on top of the RPM (angled down - it can be oriented either way). Like I said, new pictures to follow.

Hope that my description was clear. If not, just ask.

John Alvarez

Screenwriter
Sweet setup. I really liked the kids and their little chairs....:D
I will have to figure out something because my set will go in the living room and my baby will be 1 next month so nothing stays on the floor...:D

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
One possibility is that if you choose a center speaker that is longer than it is high, it might just fit on the top shelf of the stand. A few people have mentioned that they have placed their center speaker above the display. If that's possible I would recommend a shelf or something, and not bracket it to the HP as one guy did. I just don't feel that this can be good for the TV in the long run and it doesn't seem to be a stable solution. The HP clearly isn't designed to hold something like a speaker on top of it, no matter how creative one gets with "bracketology."

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
As a point of information: I've updated my web site to include a lot of material discussing my experiences and impressions of the HP MD5880n. There is a link in my signature.

In addition, we've created a new "MEMBERS HOME THEATER AREA" here that we are encouraging you to use to discuss details of your own personal home theaters and its equipment if applicable. Check it out and read the "Welcome" message to see how it fits in to the entire HTF experience. Enjoy!

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
OOPS! Seems like I may have jumped the gun a bit on the new MEMBERS HOME THEATER AREA. The new area has not yet been opened to the generalmembership (only moderators can see it until it's finalized.) If you can't get to the link I posted in my previous message try again a little later. (But my HT web site is up and running)

Sorry about any confusion.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
My review on the HP MD5880n has been posted on the forum here for your perusal and comment (we've made this the official discussion thread on this and related matters.)

Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks