What's new

*** Official "HOUSE OF 1,000 CORPSES" Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to have to go against the grain here and say that I think it was a good effort.

Let me qualify that by saying that I went in trying to like the film despite the nearly unanimous negative response to it.

I found it to be creepy, funny, and at times disturbing. I will completely admit that it was derivative of so many other films, but I took that to be more of an homage or tribute than a dishonest rip. To be fair, I would consider this to be a near remake of Texas Chainsaw Massacre : The Next Generation rather than of the original TCM. In the original TCM, the nightmare universe seemed to be the honest product of a deranged mind. In TCM : TNG, the characters and the locations all felt totally manufactured. House feels the same way. The characters feel pretty artificial, but I must admit that I was still somewhat unnerved by a few of the situations (especially the completely contrived zombie lake attack that destroys the coffin). Sid Haig as Cpt. Spaulding was quite good in my opinion and was probably the only bright spot as far as acting.

I was somewhat relieved to see a horror film as mean spirited and nihilistic as this one, which is a bit of a return to the type of thing I haven't seen since Event Horizon. If its any indication, the audience was very quiet after the 45 minute mark and clapped at the end. This obviously wasn't the latest spin of the Friday the 13th or Halloween series.

Now that isn't to say the movie isn't free of problems. Outside of the lack of originality, the use of negative and low res camera footage was used a bit too often (although it did help to build the mood of the situation). He also uses the "innocent music playing over the horrors" at least once too often. A good deal of the gore happens only off camera, which is a shame given the build up to it. However, some of the scenes in low res were much more effective because it felt like watching some forbidden bootleg footage.

I think it was a worthy effort, built from a sincere desire to deliver a horror film in a way that hasn't been seen in a long time. I can only hope that this may inspire someone else to try a similarly serious approach with a more original situation and style.

Travis_W

Supporting Actor
I saw House of 1000 Corpses last night and the print I saw featured Cabin Fever plus 28 Days Later (which didn't show much, just London deserted) I really liked 1000 Corpses, it was a swift kick to the teeth the horror genre and mainstream cinema needed. Planning on seeing it again soon.

I've heard good things about Cabin Fever but so far it looks like an Evil Dead rip-off...that won't stop me from seeing it:emoji_thumbsup: .

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "House of 1,000 Corpses". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an Official Discussion Thread.

Crawdaddy

Howard Williams

Supporting Actor
I saw this yesterday too. I don't know why I wanted to see it. The first 20 minutes was tolerable. After 25 minutes I wanted to walk out. That feeling returned every 3 minutes until it was over. I have never felt that sitting and watching a movie was a complete waste of time until this experience, and I thought "The Ring" was bad.

You know what's really funny. We went and saw "Chicago" today. I just could not take it. After 70 minutes we walked out and went to see "Phone Booth". I had a strong feeling Chicago wasn't my cup of tea but I thought the same thing about Moulin Rouge and I was totally surprised at how entertaining it was, but Chicago really missed the mark for me.

Tim Hess

Second Unit
Great film. I knew what I was getting going in, as I have been following House of 1000 Corpses for some time being a fan of Rob Zombie. I knew it was to be campy, that 70s Texas Chain Saw feeling, with Rob Zombie's artistic talent thrown in.

Every woman in the theatre screemed at the same time. And my Fiancee came out feeling creeped out.

I think Rob Zombie accomplished what he set out to do. Create an omage to horror chop films of the 70s and give it a more moderm edge.

I passed on all the Scream movies, I Know What You Did Last Summer...I saw Final Destination and The Ring...bloated Hollywood 'clean' horror flicks. American Psycho, that was a decent 'Hollywood' chop flick.

I can't wait for an dextended version of House of 1000 Corpses :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks