1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

*** Official "HOUSE OF 1,000 CORPSES" Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Matt Pelham, Mar 11, 2003.

1. JonS

JonS Stunt Coordinator

Sorry to see some of you guys just didn't "GET" the movie. Maybe repeat viewings and some research will clear things up.

Whether you like this film or not, it is VERY important. It represents the complete opposite of everything horror fans hate. It basically kicks the ass of all the films that have been destroying our genre in recent years.

I LOVED it.

2. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

This movie kicks the ass of Dog Soldiers and Below and Ginger Snaps and Session 9 and The Others and The Devil's Backbone and 28 Days Later?? Guess we just disagree here.

I am glad you enjoyed it though. Honestly.

How was the Cabin Fever trailer? (Now there's a new classic!)

3. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

Well, I'm glad to see that some of the intended audience thought it was as big a disaster as I did. (This sort of thing typically isn't my cup of tea, but when you see everything, sometimes you're surprised every once in awhile.)

My first thought was that it wasn't nearly as shocking as I expected. Basically it's a White Zombie video with a bunch of disturbing imagery that couldn't make the cut on television. For that matter, I'd say a Nine Inch Nails video bothers me more than this film did. Or the "Home" episode on The X-Files. (The X-Files comparison is apt in the ironic juxtaposition of music and scenes of torture/violence, although they're not done nearly as well in this movie.)

Actually, that's not right. My first thought was how incredibly poor the performances were. Amateurish hasn't been thrown out in this thread so many times for no reason. And wait, is that the host from Singled Out? Why, yes it is! And is that country star Deana Carter as the sister? Um, no.

The best I can say about this is that the end result seems to be what Zombie wanted to make.

4. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

I saw it tonight, and while it wasn't as bad as I expected, it still wasn't too great. There were some cool parts, but the film was a derivative mess overall, and that's coming from as big a horror fan as you're apt to find.

5. LennyP

LennyP Supporting Actor

I'll say that I'm scared shitless of this movie, but will go see it at 12:30am latest showing. I hope it's not too yuky gory, I like gore fine but not the Cannibal Holocaust kind, which I never saw but reading just 2 sentences about it over a year ago still gives me a puke inducing sense and nightmares.

6. JonS

JonS Stunt Coordinator

7. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

8. Scott Weinberg

Jon,

I appreciate you clarifying your statements. No worries.

I will give you guys one point: it IS nice to see a gruesome horror flick rear its heads in the multiplexes. Although I didn't care for this particular movie, I do hope it cuts a profit. The horror genre needs all the help it can get.

9. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

After these comments I'm not sure whether I want to see it or not. I have so few chances these days to go to the theater I hate when a trip becomes a waste of time, but it would be nice to see something actually gory for a change.

What is 28 Days Later? Haven't heard of that one, but I'm a bit in the dark about this thriving horror scene (except maybe Japan/Korea which I haven't managed to see any of).

I'm terribly itching for something that's actually good. Cure was the only genuinely scary film I've seen in many years. The Others was good, and I liked Signs, but

Below was a total failure as a horror movie, Dog Soldiers was ok until the end, Devil's Backbone sucked and wasn't even a horror film imo, Session 9 - awful, Frailty - nonsense.

So what is out there I'm missing, Ginger Snaps maybe?

10. Scott Weinberg

Ack! Couldn't disagree more on these flicks.

Oh well. 28 Days Later is an apocalyptic horror movie from Danny Boyle. It was released to some enthusiasm in England last November. It opens here at the end of June.

Check this thread if ya like:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=102635

If this movie gets bumped from my Top Ten I'll be shocked.

11. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

12. LennyP

LennyP Supporting Actor

13. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

14. SteveMc

SteveMc Stunt Coordinator

I'm not really sure what to say about this one. I enjoyed it, but i was dissapointed about something...and I can't quite put my finger off. I really liked the first 20 minutes. Then it slowed down a bit and I was expecting to see all this gore everyone is talking about. I didn't see any. There was a little blood, but I am curious as to which cut a lot of the early reviewers saw. I read somewhere that a writer at Fangoria had to actaully turn away at some parts. I can't image what these parts were. Iguess i was expecting something more shocking, and when I didn't get the payoff i felt a tad let down at the end of the movie. Overall I thought it was well done...a nice tip of the hat to TCM in many regards. I will love to see the DVD version.

15. Scott Weinberg

16. Scott Weinberg

Seems H1KC made $1.4 million yesterday on just under 600 screens. It was the #2 per-screen-average.

That's pretty healthy for a flick like this!

17. LennyP

LennyP Supporting Actor

Yeah, my late night 12:30am showing at the Mann Chinese at the Kodak center was packed.

It makes you feel very uncomfortable, gets on your nerves, everyone's totaly freaking crazy in it, and just when you thought you saw it all, there's more and more to it. I guess if that was the objective of the movie, then it's successful, it's gory and scary and I do not wanna see it again, but that one time, like a nightmare, it was enjoyable on it's own level. I was scared of seeing this movie, I overcame myself, like wilfuly agreeing to a torture, and I got what I expected and deserved.
    So, basicaly Rob Zombie achieved what he wanted I think, so it's not a bad movie, it's just a real nightmare. [​IMG]

That crazy long white haired guy looks like Billy Bob Thornton in upcoming Levity. [​IMG]

Crazy guy

Billy Bob

18. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "House of 1,000 Corpses" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "House of 1,000 Corpses" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

19. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Thanks, I'll look for 28 Days Later, Boyles a good director and was able to generate suspense with Shallow Grave so I'd think this has potential.

20. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Matt Stone
    Just popping in to say that I finally got to see it yesterday. Overall, I left happier than I expected. From reading most of this thread, I expected to be watching the worst film ever...but there were enough good momements for me to be happy with the experience. If nothing else...Sid Haig is the fucking man.

I definitely agree that it's nice to see a non-Scream clone come out. That being said, Frailty is still my favorite horror flick of recent years.

Needless to say, I will probably check this out when the unrated cut comes out on DVD.

Overall a [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] / [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]