What's new

*** Official "HOUSE OF 1,000 CORPSES" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

JonS

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry to see some of you guys just didn't "GET" the movie. Maybe repeat viewings and some research will clear things up.

Whether you like this film or not, it is VERY important. It represents the complete opposite of everything horror fans hate. It basically kicks the ass of all the films that have been destroying our genre in recent years.

I LOVED it.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member

This movie kicks the ass of Dog Soldiers and Below and Ginger Snaps and Session 9 and The Others and The Devil's Backbone and 28 Days Later?? Guess we just disagree here.

I am glad you enjoyed it though. Honestly.

How was the Cabin Fever trailer? (Now there's a new classic!)

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Well, I'm glad to see that some of the intended audience thought it was as big a disaster as I did. (This sort of thing typically isn't my cup of tea, but when you see everything, sometimes you're surprised every once in awhile.)

My first thought was that it wasn't nearly as shocking as I expected. Basically it's a White Zombie video with a bunch of disturbing imagery that couldn't make the cut on television. For that matter, I'd say a Nine Inch Nails video bothers me more than this film did. Or the "Home" episode on The X-Files. (The X-Files comparison is apt in the ironic juxtaposition of music and scenes of torture/violence, although they're not done nearly as well in this movie.)

Actually, that's not right. My first thought was how incredibly poor the performances were. Amateurish hasn't been thrown out in this thread so many times for no reason. And wait, is that the host from Singled Out? Why, yes it is! And is that country star Deana Carter as the sister? Um, no.

The best I can say about this is that the end result seems to be what Zombie wanted to make.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
I saw it tonight, and while it wasn't as bad as I expected, it still wasn't too great. There were some cool parts, but the film was a derivative mess overall, and that's coming from as big a horror fan as you're apt to find.

It basically kicks the ass of all the films that have been destroying our genre in recent years.
Okay, I had an argument with a guy at the HorrorDVDs.com forum over this very same subject just a few days ago. If you're talking about all the SCREAM inspired slasher crap, then I will agree with you, but if you're talking about all of the recent horror, color me very annoyed by that statement. Sure its your opinion, but it still annoys me. There has been literally tons of spectacular horror films in recent years, and if you think they are destroying the genre, than I don't "get" you.

LennyP

Supporting Actor
I'll say that I'm scared shitless of this movie, but will go see it at 12:30am latest showing. I hope it's not too yuky gory, I like gore fine but not the Cannibal Holocaust kind, which I never saw but reading just 2 sentences about it over a year ago still gives me a puke inducing sense and nightmares.

JonS

Stunt Coordinator
If you're talking about all the SCREAM inspired slasher crap, then I will agree with you, but if you're talking about all of the recent horror, color me very annoyed by that statement.
Yes, that is what I meant, I should have made myself more clear. It kicks the ass of 90% of Hollywood horror, which is what is in the most trouble right now.

Independant american horror and foreign horror is thriving right now. Thats where it is.

What I basically am trying to say is that, whether you like the film or not, it is a step in the right direction of getting true horror in the theaters.

If you didn't like it because it was unoriginal, then you didn't get it. Sorry if that came off as mean spirited or something, but it's the truth. If this film came out 25 years ago, it would have been just another people get lost in the backwoods and encounter crazy people film. Nothing more, nothing less. All films of these type that were coming out back then were all unoriginal to an extent and stealing ideas from eachother, but a lot of people loved them for what they were. Unoriginal or not, they were fun movies.

The reason this movie is so important, is because nothing like this has been seen since the 70's. Rob made a solid entry into a dead genre.

To say it is unoriginal and derivitive is probably the biggest compliment you could possibly give it.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Yes, that is what I meant, I should have made myself more clear. It kicks the ass of 90% of Hollywood horror, which is what is in the most trouble right now.
Okay, that's cool.

I've actually been thinking about this film, and the more I think of it, the more I'm liking it. I also read one of the Fangoria articles on it, and Alex is right that Zombie was going for a TCM homage rather than ripoff.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Jon,

I appreciate you clarifying your statements. No worries.

I will give you guys one point: it IS nice to see a gruesome horror flick rear its heads in the multiplexes. Although I didn't care for this particular movie, I do hope it cuts a profit. The horror genre needs all the help it can get.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
After these comments I'm not sure whether I want to see it or not. I have so few chances these days to go to the theater I hate when a trip becomes a waste of time, but it would be nice to see something actually gory for a change.

What is 28 Days Later? Haven't heard of that one, but I'm a bit in the dark about this thriving horror scene (except maybe Japan/Korea which I haven't managed to see any of).

I'm terribly itching for something that's actually good. Cure was the only genuinely scary film I've seen in many years. The Others was good, and I liked Signs, but

Below was a total failure as a horror movie, Dog Soldiers was ok until the end, Devil's Backbone sucked and wasn't even a horror film imo, Session 9 - awful, Frailty - nonsense.

So what is out there I'm missing, Ginger Snaps maybe?

Will K

Screenwriter
Below was a total failure as a horror movie, Dog Soldiers was ok until the end, Devil's Backbone sucked and wasn't even a horror film imo, Session 9 - awful, Frailty - nonsense.
I'm going to have to agree with Scott here. Sure, you're entitled to your opinion, but Devil's Backbone sucking? Did we see the same movie? Come on, that was a brilliant, creepy as hell, and thoroughly solid film! Sorry you didn't enjoy these, I thought all of the ones you mentioned were good shows.

Just for the record, I totally enjoyed House1KC, but I can surely understand why someone might not!

By the way, did anyone catch the trailer for Cabin Fever that was suppossed to be attached to the prints of House1KC? I was pissed because it wasn't at the theater I went to.

LennyP

Supporting Actor
By the way, did anyone catch the trailer for Cabin Fever that was suppossed to be attached to the prints of House1KC? I was pissed because it wasn't at the theater I went to.
Yeah, there was one mixed in with others, not really attached, like some teasers that are just before the movie, and it was like 40 seconds or so, some quick cuts, some guys in the woods, a girl screaming on bed, what's this Cabin Fever about? Never heard about it.

All I want is Underworld with Kate Beckinsale kicking ass in leather with a gun :D

Will K

Screenwriter
what's this Cabin Fever about? Never heard about it.
An indie horror feature that Lion's Gate recently acquired. Don't know that much about it myself, but apparently it's an Evil Dead-like flick with folks trapped in a house with flesh-eating virus. I think. Buzz is good.

SteveMc

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not really sure what to say about this one. I enjoyed it, but i was dissapointed about something...and I can't quite put my finger off. I really liked the first 20 minutes. Then it slowed down a bit and I was expecting to see all this gore everyone is talking about. I didn't see any. There was a little blood, but I am curious as to which cut a lot of the early reviewers saw. I read somewhere that a writer at Fangoria had to actaully turn away at some parts. I can't image what these parts were. Iguess i was expecting something more shocking, and when I didn't get the payoff i felt a tad let down at the end of the movie. Overall I thought it was well done...a nice tip of the hat to TCM in many regards. I will love to see the DVD version.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Seems H1KC made $1.4 million yesterday on just under 600 screens. It was the #2 per-screen-average.

That's pretty healthy for a flick like this!

LennyP

Supporting Actor
Yeah, my late night 12:30am showing at the Mann Chinese at the Kodak center was packed.

It makes you feel very uncomfortable, gets on your nerves, everyone's totaly freaking crazy in it, and just when you thought you saw it all, there's more and more to it. I guess if that was the objective of the movie, then it's successful, it's gory and scary and I do not wanna see it again, but that one time, like a nightmare, it was enjoyable on it's own level. I was scared of seeing this movie, I overcame myself, like wilfuly agreeing to a torture, and I got what I expected and deserved.
So, basicaly Rob Zombie achieved what he wanted I think, so it's not a bad movie, it's just a real nightmare. :eek:

That crazy long white haired guy looks like Billy Bob Thornton in upcoming Levity. :crazy:

Crazy guy

Billy Bob

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "House of 1,000 Corpses" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "House of 1,000 Corpses" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, I'll look for 28 Days Later, Boyles a good director and was able to generate suspense with Shallow Grave so I'd think this has potential.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Just popping in to say that I finally got to see it yesterday. Overall, I left happier than I expected. From reading most of this thread, I expected to be watching the worst film ever...but there were enough good momements for me to be happy with the experience. If nothing else...Sid Haig is the fucking man.

I definitely agree that it's nice to see a non-Scream clone come out. That being said, Frailty is still my favorite horror flick of recent years.

Needless to say, I will probably check this out when the unrated cut comes out on DVD.

Overall a :star: :star: :star: / :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks