*** Official "HOUSE OF 1,000 CORPSES" Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Matt Pelham, Mar 11, 2003.

1. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

Like many of you here I've been waiting for this movie for a while now, and it was one of my top 5 most anticipated films of 2003. After viewing it, all I can say is that I'm severely disappointed. I'm assuming the cut I saw was the trimmed down R-rated version (the runtime was just under 84 minutes including credits) but I can't imagine anything added to this movie to make it better.

The script was abominable, the acting was terrible, and it didn't even have a hint of suspense or competent filmaking. This movie has some of the most bizzare and incoherent editing I've ever witnessed, and some of the most inappropriate music ever.

For example a character gets killed while "She's a Brick House" is blaring in the background.

Hopefully some MAJOR changes will be made before this is released, but honestly I can't think of anything that can save this flick.

2. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

You know, I actually started expecting that this film was probably going to be bad, and that's why its no longer one of my most anticipated films. I can't say I'm surprised.

3. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

*Sigh*

I was getting pretty jazzed about the film. At least now I'll go into it with lowered expectations.

4. Jeff Kohn

Jeff Kohn Supporting Actor

Hmm, maybe the reason so many studios ending up passing on the movie wasn't because of any rating controversy, but because it's a stinker...

5. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I'll still see it, but I'm definitely not as pumped.

6. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

*sigh* is right : I was looking forward to this one also.

7. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

Well, hopefully they will change some things around before it's released. I suppose with some extensive reshoots and some major editing work, it could be an OK film.

The version I saw may not have been THE final cut, so there is still some hope.

Right from the beginning the camerawork, acting (except for Sid Haig, who was excellent), and dialog was very, very amateurish and almost to the point of "student filmish" if I may.

[POSSIBLE MINOR SPOILERS]

Once things get underway the momentum is continually bogged down with horrible jarring jump cuts and bizzare scenes just thrown in for no particular reason. The music is awful (and that's not too hard of a thing to fix I suppose) but right in the opening credits it states "Music by Rob Zombie".

The plot is very similar to the Texas Chainsaw Massacre, except instead of macabre realism they went for production design so extreme it becomes comical. The last 10-15 minutes are so entirely stupid it defies logic, I can't imagine anyone taking it seriously.

My point here folks is not to crush anyone's hopes, maybe just give you a little warning so you don't get too hyped up only to be massively let down. Again, it may not have been the final cut, and with a lot of work it could turn out OK. Also, I've been in the minority opinion before (many a times!) so maybe my opinion of this film could be different than everyone else's.

8. JohnE

JohnE Supporting Actor

Damn! That's dissapointing. It seems like I've been waiting forever to see this, and the first review I read says it stinks.[​IMG]

9. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

I may have to see this just for Sid Haig.

10. Brian W.

Brian W. Screenwriter

Brian

11. BrandonL

BrandonL Stunt Coordinator

I started watching this and the movie is as bad as stated above. I am kind of surprised since the trailers I saw in theaters a long time ago made it seem like something else. The beginning scenes are truly weird. Definately not like the trailer makes it out to be. And those cuts don't make any sense. It will show a character talking and suddenly go to another shot of the person dancing giggling with loud music. Then cut back and forth a few times. And the acting is pretty awful.

Its pretty hard to finish this movie. Kind of gory, but more just weird for the sake of being weird. For those that have seen this, is this what you thought the movie would be like?

12. Andrew Schwarz

Andrew Schwarz Stunt Coordinator

I saw the movie too. I didn't hate it, but its still not that great of a movie. The story kept me interested, even if it was a bad copy of Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and most of the characters were fun (Sid Haig, Karen Black, Bill Moseley). The movie, however, was a mess and very unorganized. The first five minutes feels odd and random, while the final fifteen just don't make sense. Rob Zombie edits in clips from old horror movies and weird imagery in between shots and scenes, and the colors of the film change constantly. It gets pretty annoying after a while. It felt like an 85 minute music video. I do have to say that this movie plays homage to the gritty and disturbing horror films of the 70's, and gives horror the kind of no hold's barred kick that its needed since that decade. Definitely not worth the wait.

13. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

(The screened version is obviously the 84-minute R rated cut.)

Right off, I liked it pretty good BUT this is not the earth-shattering or ground-breaking horror film it has purported itself to be. With that out of the way, what remains is a gleefully bizarre ride through hell for game audiences. Mainstream America is probably going to hate this movie, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

The big pro's here are Sid Haig as Captain Spaulding(funny as hell - f*** yo momma!) and Karen Black as Mother Firefly - 'nuff said.

To be certain, HO1KC is a chaotic film which zips by and is over before you know it. I think it succeeds more as an homage to 70's horror than an exercise in terror. Yes, there's plenty of sickness, perversity and weirdness on display, but a good part of the action is laced with outrageous humor and in-joke references to other films. It just about moves too fast to be truly scary. Had Rob Zombie eschewed much of humor and slowed down the pace long enough for the audience to absorb the dread, this would be a much different film. On the other hand, a big part of the moviegoing public scares easily anyway.

However, it is fun and likely will be remembered as one of the weirdest, most outlandish theatrical releases of recent memory, if not ever. Zombie and his crew deserve points for the elaborate set design that successfully creates a vile universe all its own.

It'll be interesting to see how the original cut differs. The are several instances of noticeable MPAA cuts, to the harm of the film(as is always the case). I can only imagine the looks on the faces of Universal executives when they screened this!

14. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Matt, I'm right there with you:

What an AWFUL awful movie this is! It's nothing more than a thinly-veiled ripoff of the original TCM though it has not one-tenth the atmosphere or dread of that classic.

This one earns a spot right next to Dee Snider's Strangeland for many obvious reasons - and that's not mean to be construed as a compliment in any way.

Still, Lion's Gate will make their money back eventually.

You all know how much I adore horror movies and I simply could not wait for this interminable and dialogue-heavy music video to finally end.

I've seen Simpons Halloween episodes with more effective scares. Like Matt said, I do hate pooping on the parade but even horror freaks should avoid this one. I hate to say it, but there you go.

15. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

Yeah, everybody and all the major movie sites were begging for this movie to be released, thinking it would be the second coming of 70's horror. Then Harry Knowles screened it at his big annual marathon in Austin, and other sites got access to screeners of it, and I honestly haven't heard one postive thing about it since. I can't stand Knowles personally, but he actually has some good writers on that site that I usually agree with about 90% of the time, and they were harder on it than even he was, and he ripped it to shreds.

Rob Zombie probably never would have seen that film released theatrically were it not for the net film buffs, but now that they have all seen it, he has lost pretty much all of his most loyal backers.

16. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

In my current copy of Creative Screenwriter there is a interview with Zombie about HO1kC.
    I don't think there is a different or original cut of the film. I think what you see is what is intended. The interview clearly says that the violence has always been implied rather than witnessed.
    Now not having seen the film I couldn't attest to any of this, so I don't know who violent it is. The interviewer says that Raiders of the Lost Ark is more bloody than this movie is and Zombie is really at a loss to explain why the controversy about this film exists because it isn't a gory film.

After just reading the interview once more Zombie states that the first cut of the film he was sure it would be a soft R but wound up as a NC-17 and he was shocked.

I think that this implies it was never intended to be a gore fest as its reputation or the hype has suggested.

17. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

I am wondering why would the MPAA come down so hard on this film when so far from what I've read it really isn't a gory or bloody film. The interviewer stated that Raiders of the Lost Ark and Jaws had more blood and gore than this film did.

I am curious to see this now to see what the deal is.

18. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

to name a few things. Sure it's no Dead Alive, but it's a hard R for sure.

19. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

There's an article up at NYTimes.com (http://nytimes.com/2003/04/06/movies/06BEAL.html), pretty good background on the film.

Even with the bad impressions I'm getting pretty geared up to see this. I think it's opening in ~500 screens, which usually seems to be the magic number for my area.

20. Mark McLeod

Mark McLeod Second Unit

I had the chance to see the film at a press screening on Tuesday morning and well I wasn't all that impressed. I'm not a horror fan per say but I can stomach them just as easy as any other feature film. However this movie was just plain weird. My review hasn't been posted on the net yet though it's finished.

I also had the chance to talk to Rob Zombie about the film on Friday afternoon and while I can't recommend his film, He's a total class act. I was a bit surprised and nervous because I'm fairly new to the interviewing game but he was really nice and took the time to answer my questions. That interview along with my review should be posted at my new online home later on this week.

Mark McLeod
    Staff Reviewer - CanadaMovies.net / MovieContests.com