***Official Home Theater Forum--The Movie review thread

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Rogers, Feb 23, 2002.

1. Jeff Rogers

Jeff Rogers Second Unit

Home Theater Forum -- The movie
    2002 Directed by James Cameron *** out of **** stars
    When 20th Century Fox first aquired the rights to--and announced the intent to make a movie based off of the popular Home Theater Forum, I was sceptical to say the least.
    I mean "How could they make a movie out of a message board where all anyone does is talk? "
    Well, I'm shocked to say that the movie is astounding. I saw it a a recent press screening at The Chinese Mann here in Omaha. Director James Cameron has made an epic story of HTF founder Ronald Epstein (played by Sam Elliot,) and his epic journey to raise money for a new server. I don't want to spoil anything but the middle act whereeveryone has their post count reset
    is tragic and even had the most hardened critic weeping.
    The supporting cast tears the shit out of it also. Matthew Chmiel (played with gusto by Dustin Diamond of Saved By The Bell fame) and his search for Rini Bell rings true and most can indentify with it.
    There seems to be a problem with pacing though. When the nazgul break into Parker Clacks home, thinking its Epsteins..and Clack's showdown at the kitchen of Amen Sun
    seem to drag a little. For a movie that has nothing but dialogue in it, it holds its own. I think the dvd will flesh out more of the characters. And you can see the dubbing (adr) problems b/c Ron's mustouche kind of gets in the way from time to time.
    But overall, a very good movie. I would reccomend it

2. Josh_Hill

Josh_Hill Screenwriter

??????????

3. Bill J

Bill J Producer

WTF is this?

4. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

It's called humor fellas. Satire, even.

Bruce

5. Jeff Rogers

Jeff Rogers Second Unit

6. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

[​IMG]
    Good stuff, Jeff! Can't wait for the sequel. I'm dying to see if the legendary "vBulletin Exodus and back again" works well onscreen!

7. Bill J

Bill J Producer

I guess I haven't been a member long enough to "get it"

8. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G

9. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

[​IMG]
    Man, I haven't laughed that hard in ages.

10. Jeff Rogers

Jeff Rogers Second Unit

11. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

LOL...thats pretty good.

Someone should come up with a plot outline for the sequel. Any title recommendations?

12. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

This is now the offical "Home Theater Forum -- The Movie" review thread. Please direct all reviews and links to outside reviews in this thread only. Posts without reviews may be deleted without warning!
    [​IMG]

13. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

I dunno. I was a little disappointed in some of the casting. I mean they totally chickened out by not getting someone hairy enough to really be Steve Christou.
    I had to say, however, that I just loved that bit where they got into the extended Word Association improv. I mean that takes some talent!
    [​IMG]

14. Jeff Rogers

Jeff Rogers Second Unit

15. Jeff Rogers

Jeff Rogers Second Unit

Hey guys....RottenTomatoes.com has Home Theater Forum --The Movie at a 92% freshness rating!!
    This was my favorite from there
    Baltimore Sun -- This weeks films by Jay haddensit
    Well, after 300 million dollars and many many re-shoots. It's finally here. The event movie of 2002. While some camp for Star Wars and have heated debates over Lord Of The Rings, others look for a more higher level of film. This ideal has now been achieved. Home Theater forum is an epic. Not since Lawrence Of Arabia has a gem like this been on the screen.
    At the time I saw the film, I looked around at the audience during the credits. Some wept. Some cried. I became a mound of teary flesh....haunting my memory were 2 scenes that I will treasure
    **When Vince Maskeeper (played by Fred Durst) finally comes to grips with, and accepts his mission to keep Monkeybone, and make the long trip to his garage--to destroy it in the one place it was made. The garbage.
    Poetry.....
    **The million man OAR march on Washington d.c. Never before have I been moved so much. I chanted with the crowd in the movie " 16x9 is ok and fine....." as they took their studio grievences to the capitol

16. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

I was bothered that so much of my stuff was cut out, but I guess the 6 hour running time was a bit much. Oh well.

I did love how they brought the polls to life with that fantastic CGI. Normally I'm against it, but what a clever idea to show one character from the winning film destroying a character from the losing film - like when Darth Vadar crushed StarWatcher to win the Sci-Fi poll, awesome.

I hope they have some more polls in the SE and go for the NC-17 version so we can get some of the footage from the "Hottest nude scenes in film" poll back in.

Hey, did anyone notice how that Pink Panther was in the film early on, but then dissappeared after about 15 minutes into it? I guess that was Cameron's tribute to JL since he cut out that whole subplot about him getting booted from HTF

17. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

This is one of my most anticipated films in the past few years, but as usual it will be months before we get it in Australia.

18. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Mmmm.

I'm a little bit disappointed. It took me two weeks all in all, for that uncredited cameo, as myself. And they cut it back to exactly 1 second in the far background???

And those wooden shoes were CGI, folks. Didn't wear 'em.

Alright, but I have to admit, the rest of the film was grand!

Cees

19. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    [​IMG] Oooh I really wanted to play a big part in this, maybe Bigfoot or Bigsomethin' or other, I was up for Last Temptation of Christou, but couldn't nail it.
    POSTED BY STEVO, SCOURGE OF CARPATHIA, SORROW OF MOLDAVIA.

20. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I think Seth Green (buzz haircut) should play Seth Paxton.