What's new

*** Official HIDE AND SEEK Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Aaron Thorne

Stunt Coordinator
Did anyone go see Hide and Seek? I plan to see it this weekend and wanted to see what others thought before I went. I must admit I'm very surprised to see there isn't a thread for the film yet.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

I suspect it's because so many of the participants here are focused on the Oscar nominees, many of which are just now making their way into general release.

Bitter experience has taught me that anything released by a major studio in January is probably not from their top-grade inventory. So I always use this month to catch up on other things -- DVDs, arthouse fare, even (gasp!) family life. ;)

M.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
For anyone (like me) who isn't planning on seeing it, the plot outline provided here from themoviespoiler.com (the entire plot is spoiled, obviously, so don't read any of it if you don't want anything spoiled) has some really hilarious stuff from the reviewer.

Rhoq, I suspected the "secret" from some of the trailers. Specifically, I'm referring to the trailers and/or TV spots that show:

De Niro outside in the rain, or maybe it was just nighttime, looking and sounding pretty crazy

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
I forgot about that part of the trailer.

Actually though, the scene they show is from a few minutes prior to DeNiro's character learning the "truth about Charlie". At this point he is outside looking for Charlie and he runs into the weirdo next-door neighboor, and thinking he's Charlie - cuts him with a large knife. It's not until he gets back into the house and triffles through some boxes that he learns the truth and make his full transition into "Charlie".

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
Didn't see it. Besides the fact that I can't stand Dakota Fanning, I hate children-in-jeopardy movies, and I'd rather watch a good DeNiro movie.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Worth watching for Dakota Fanning, who's up there with the best of child actors (Jena Malone and Natalie Portman) but overall I'd say it was at best average.

To be honest,
I was really hoping it was actually going to be Dakota doing it all. It'd have been a non-twist-twist which would have been great. When was the last 'bad kid' movie? The Omen was the last good one, Pet Sematary was bad, and The Good Son probably also counted. I'd have loved to see what she could have done with that.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
What I found interesting was that as David got more fucked up, Emily got more relateable and more normal. It wasn't a flip switch thing either.

But, yeah, overly average. Fanning proves once again to be one of the best young actresses in history, DeNiro shows a different, enjoyable side, but the movie they're trapped in is awful. I'd love to see DeNiro take on a role similar to Treat Williams' on "Everwood". It was a shocker to see how well he could play average and somewhat caring.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Hide and Seek" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Hide and Seek" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Aaron Thorne

Stunt Coordinator
Six months after posting this thread now I kow why it was so dead...

Just got around to seeing this on DVD and it was not very good at all. Luckily, it was a netflix rental. Robert and Dakota were decent but the story/plot just plain sucked.

De Niro is one hell of an actor when it comes to a criminal character but a schizo killer isn't one of those characters.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks