What's new

*** Official HIDALGO Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

BridgetJZ

Second Unit

Wow, so harsh. I was really looking forward to seeing this one, I'm a pretty big Mortensen fan, and thought that he might really be able to pull this one off this time. I'm probably going to see it in a week regardless thought -- I've heard a lot of mixed reviews and would like to find out for myself.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
Oh, please see it for yourself as the above is only one person's opinion. But be wary of that tagline: Based on a true story.

My companion, who is more well versed on American-Indian affairs, told me that the "true story" claim was immediately invalidated in the film's opening scenes involving some American-Indians.

~Edwin

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
There was an article in a recent Wild West magazine (related to the History Channel) that debunked this story. Frank Hopkins was apparently a notorious liar, and this was just one of his tall tales. Not to say anything against it as a movie, but the author of said article did lobby (unsuccessfully) to have Disney remove the "based on a true story" blurb.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
He does, in LOTR. But going by the trailer, in Hidalgo, he does not.

I'll be checking it out, tho. Gotta support the LOTR gang :D But my expectations aren't great.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
He is not really the lead in LotR it is more of an ensemble piece. This was what I expected, the trailers for the film are fairly unimpressive and I almost laughed when it said "Based on the incredible true story".

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Hidalgo" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Hidalgo" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Anyone notice the "Rocky" score during much of the trailer? It was so prominent I thought Bill Conti had rehashed his own theme, but then I see James Newton Howard is the composer. ???

BridgetJZ

Second Unit
Apparently the old hidalgo thread got moved to this less active and less exciting hidalgo review thread. I have (obviuosly) not gotten to see this yet... I will, more than likely this weekend. But to touch on the based on a true story thing, i mean, i could understand some people's discontentment. However, i think the emphasis should be placed on BASED.

For me, this is a really minor discrepency. I don't think it will affect my viewing of the movie too much.

Raasean Asaad

Supporting Actor
When I saw the trailers for Hidalgo during the summer it was all about the horse and played up as a "Wonder Horse" type movie but after what I believe was a less than spectacular showing of Seabiscuit I believe they refocused the marketing campaign. Anyone else notice this?

dannyB

Stunt Coordinator
I never believe the "based on..." tagline they give to movies. I'm taking my sister to see "Hidalgo" this Friday. Its her birthday and she's a huge Viggo fan.

:rolleyes

Hopefully it turns out at least decent.

derek

Second Unit
My five year old daughter just LOVES horses and was hoping to take her to see Hidalgo. For those who have seen the film I'm concerned about the PG-13 rating. What content may be inappropriate for her age? TIA!

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
I'm sad to say that for a 5-year old, she might get bored. Even though it is a Disney film, it is not along the same lines as The Black Stallion.

There is a scene where a horse gets hurt but other than that, I do not remember anything offensive for the little ones.

~Edwin

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Someone really needs to help Viggo with his dialogue. You often cannot understand what he is saying.

Same is true (to a lesser degree) with Ian McKellan. So when Aragorn and Gandalf speak to each other in LOTR, it can get interesting! :)

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Can anyone recall if Hidalgo had subtitles in the theater?

There are several extended foreign language segments in the film.

On DVD, there are no subtitles in the 'film' area.

Had to turn on the player subtitles just to see what people were saying, very odd.

Frank@N

Screenwriter

Think I figured this out...

I'm guessing that the second English subtitle track (6?) contains the subtitles for foreign language segments only.

I believe this track is 'on' by default, think I turned on English (1) early and that screwed things up.

I really don't like the way they did this.

Watched 'The Alamo' recently and the foreign language subtitles were in the 'film' area.

Then you could turn English (1) on/off as needed and still always know what people were saying other languages.

Hate to say it, but almost everything about this DVD is lacking: movie is too long, video is overextended, only 15 minutes of extras, quirky subtitles....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation730
Recent bookmarks