What's new

*** Official HELLBOY Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Me neither three...I think.:confused:

I liked Hellboy. I thought the trailers
made it look like A Cheap X-Men ripoff. Happily that wasn't the case.

Ron Perlman was excellent in the title role. I thought it was his best performance yet. He carries the film.

It was visually spectacular, had great effects but a somewhat muddled story. I didn't mind many of the complaints posted here. It was a fun ride.

However..the biggest problem I had with the film was Selma Blair as Liz. She was absolutely horrible and sucked the life out of virtually every scene she was in. Plus she had ZERO chemistry with Hellboy.

Still, a lot better than I thought it would be.:star::star::star:

MichaelD

Stunt Coordinator
That scene was definitely in the print that I saw. Odd that it is being clipped in various prints. I thought it provided a nice bridge between the fire scene and the chains scene and it didn't seem herky-jerky at all.

Based on seeing Hellboy in the flames looking like he is about to pass out from exhaustion, and the fact that Ilsa mentions that "one" of them looks to be waking up, in reference to Myers, I assumed Hellboy was knocked out due to exhaustion. Now considering it was only Rasputin and Ilsa at the end, I would have liked to see how they carried him to the room.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Ilsa eats her spinach?

More likely is that Rasputin is stronger than normal due to the demon/god living inside him (he can already teleport).

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Just saw it tonight. Personally, I thought it was just alright. The proper elements seem to be there, but there just doesn't seem to be enough. I never thought I got enough of a handle on Liz or Hellboy as characters. Also, the motivation of the villans isn't quite clear. I was also a bit bothered by Kronen waking up when he was disassembled.

This seems to be one of those films where the Hellboy fans will drool over, while others will scratch their head a bit. While people complain about changes to their favorite comics, there are some things that just don't translate all that well.

I give it 6.5 out of 10. I'll be interested to see a director's cut, to see how things improve.

Jason

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
I completely loved it so much, I'm looking forward for the arrival of the DVD when it does. I'm glad I met Mike Mignola way back in 1997 at the San Jose comic convention 'WonderCon'. To me, it felt like Ron Perlman was the perfect choice as HellBoy and it felt to me his portrayal of him would be a really cool person to hang out with due to the non-chalantness and his easy personality. Pretty much and all and all, I need to go to my Mom's house and get all my HellBoy stuff and put it in mine. The movie also just felt right to me.
I too also can't wait for the DVD Director's Cut. Maybe it'll be two discs hopefully? I'm gonna put the full deposit on the reserve for it as aoon as it's listed.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Saw this last night and really enjoyed it. None of the issues raised here bothered me and the 'missing' scene was in place.

Perlman was excellent as usual - loved the rooftop scene with the boy!

I'm sure that if I had read the comics certain scenes would have resonated more for me.

The only stumbling block would be the film's budget. The money is definitely on the screen and yet the movie did feel somewhat stifled at times. A bigger budget would have allowed certain set pieces to have opened up more.

Overall a good solid first movie. I look forward to seeing future installments on a bigger canvas.

Time to pick up some of those Hellboy books to read....

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
The talking corpse didn't bother me at all, but the "rules" about how much punishment Hellboy can take didn't seem in place. Like many comic book heroes, he seems virtually invulnerable until the plot requires him to pass out. Same with Kronen...sometimes he could be shot, sometimes not, how did he come back from the dead after his dust-blood was drained out, etc.

I liked Hellboy, but I wanted to love it.

Jan

Julie K

Screenwriter
I came for the tentacles, but stayed for the characters.

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. The quote from De Vermis Mysteriis put me in a good mood right from the start and I just stayed tickled to the very end. I liked the humor in the movie and loved just about everything concerning Hellboy himself. Not having read the comic, I just didn't see how that character would be all that engaging. How wrong I was. Ok, so he's red, has a tail, and files down his horns, but otherwise, he's an alright guy. Hey, he even likes cats.

As I said, I've never read the comics so I know I didn't pick up on all the details a fan would, but I didn't feel left out. Everything seemed to flow just fine and there weren't any "huh?" moments.

5/5. I really enjoyed this and will likely head back next weekend.

Lars_J

Stunt Coordinator

Did you miss how he almost collapsed a bit after his fight with the first Sammael? (After his 1st talk with Liz)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
On Saturday, I picked up a Hellboy comic book that was only $0.25 and it dealt with The Corpse. I guess it was only a quarter as a tie-in to the movie.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Pat,
That story is a gem!

Lars, he might have missed that scene. I've seen the film twice, and the first time was missing the infamous scene, and the second time had the scene.

Glad Julie liked it!

I enjoyed my second viewing quite a bit. Still would rate the film an 8/10.

Take care,
Chuck

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
This was also in the print I saw and was more than adequate enough to setup the idea that the heros were wiped out from the fight/firebomb enough to be easily locked up before regaining consciousness or full awareness.

I haven't done my review yet, but I'm putting it at an 8 of 10 for me too. A bit choppy, sometimes more toward the end, but basically a really fun ride with an extremely interesting and enjoyable pair of characters (Abe and HB). I would really like to see more stories featuring them working together, and I don't really feel the need for the next story to be an even bigger threat to the world. Just a couple of normal investigations and them dealing with their normal emotions would be very pleasant to me.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

I was the ONLY person in my screening that saw that scene. Every other person in the theater headed for the exit as soon as the first credit hit the screen.

Decent film, though I was disappointed that the only monsters that were running around were Sammaels (sp?). From what I'd read before seeing the film, I expected him to be fighting a whole variety of creepies.

Loved the "kittens" angle, too. :wink:

Chazz_S

Supporting Actor

Do Kroenen and the big ass monster at the end not count or something? I think the sammaels were fine, really better not to add more confusion to a story that's already probably confusing enough (especially to non-hellboy nuts). They gave the bprd more than they could handle as is.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member

I didn't think it did 'magnificently'. IMDB says it cost 66 million (without marketing) and so far it has done about 58.5 million. I really wish we didn't have to wait until August for the release.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks