*** Official HELLBOY Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Kachi Khatri, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Kachi Khatri

Kachi Khatri Second Unit

Jay
    Ebert: "Weird and Lovable" / Roeper: "Lost Its Confidence Along the Way"

Famed film critics Roger Ebert and Richard Roeper have posted their early review of 'Hellboy' on their website in audio form. The short version - Ebert liked it, Roeper didn't. The long version: Ebert says that lead Ron Perlman does a good job of "making Hellboy weird and lovable", and that director Guillermo del Toro brings an "entertaining sense of style". Ebert also praised "the whole relationship between Hellboy and 'Flame-Girl'", in reference to Hellboy's romance with pyrokinetic Liz Sherman. Roeper, on the other hand, claims to have "loved about 49 percent of this movie, but I hated 51 percent of it so I'm going to give this film thumbs down." He concedes that Perlman's performance is a success, and also that "the first hour is so much fun...but then you do get those slimy creatures", which he found tedious. "A great sense of spirit and a lot of humor, but then it lost its confidence along the way," he claims - although he is open to another go in a sequel.

If Ebert enjoyed it then I probably will.

2. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer

Scott,
    If it doesn't make mad cash, I am coming to your place and burning it down, with you chained up inside like the traitor you are.

Pray for it's success [​IMG]

Again, like a broken record, I keep hearing quite good things about it, suggesting it transcends and embraces the genre. Only two days away. I still can't believe this property got made [​IMG]

Take care,
    Chuck

3. John Doran

John Doran Screenwriter

no kidding. i would never have thought, not in a million years.

4. Pete-D

Pete-D Screenwriter

Anyone else catch this on Access Hollywood? There was a group protesting Hellboy at its premiere. I'm guessing its some religious group. Pretty weird.

5. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    It was a studio stunt...they weren't real. They had anti-BPRD signs, from what I read.

Take care,
    Chuck

6. Pete-D

Pete-D Screenwriter

LOL, I can already see an Onion article about the success of Hellboy inspiring a wave of future satanic-based films.

This property did get made which is great. I think in large part you can attribute that to maybe some naiviette among studio execs as far as wanting to grab every and any comic book property.

I think Hellboy will do well to boot. The reviews seem to be positive, the marketing campaign is quite aggressive (the TV spots look great and have been running a lot)... I think it'll do "Blade" type business at least.

7. John Doran

John Doran Screenwriter

just saw a newer trailer last night that had a stunning picture of hellboy with the long horns; the shot was from behind and to the right, and hellboy slowly turns toward the camera, and you could see his breath.

then they had a quick shot of him snapping off his horns, just like in the books.

man. i got goosebumps.

i hope i hope i hope i hope del toro nails this movie.

8. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

9. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Here's a short version of my review:

4.5 out of 5 stars

Precisely what a comic book adaptation should be: colorful, clever, wise-cracky and laden with wild monsters.

10. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

DavisDVD has something in their rumor mill that should please most people: a director's cut on DVD with 20 additional minutes. Groovy. Not at all surprising, but cool anyway.

11. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    Already there is a double dip coming. A single disc in late summer, and a snazzy 3 disc DC for the holidays. A lot to get excited about, as I thought the Blade II set was excellent, and I like Hellboy (the property) a lot more than Blade. Good to hear the news.

Take care,
    Chuck

12. Kachi Khatri

Kachi Khatri Second Unit

Jay
    Glad to know that Hellboy is favourable with many major critics. It's currently registered 72% on rottentomatoes.

[​IMG]

13. Gruson

Gruson Second Unit

Saw it last night at the midnight show.

Very slow and no real story. Hellboy fights the same monsters over and over again.

Thumbs down.

14. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

"...and it feels edited"

Maybe the confirmed December Dir Cut DVD will fix this.

15. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

I'm not a comic book fan and generally have little interst in movies based on them, however...

So, I'm feeling rather interested. How do you think it would play to a Lovecraft-obsessed non-comic book type person?

16. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    Julie,
    Decently. The Lovecraft aspects are there, but aren't explored. There are a few shots in the film that YOU WOULD LOVE unabashedly. I don't know about the rest though. It depends on your type of humor. I do know del Toro's most recently submitted script is Mountains of Madness though. I have loved your first sig for quite some time. Now I am big fan of your second [​IMG]

Take care,
    Chuck

17. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

Thanks Chuck. I'll see it this weekend.

I saw the trailer a couple of weeks ago and noticed a mighty impressive tentacle, one worthy of the big C Himself. I suppose I'll need to go see it if only just to see what the rest of the (hopefully) vile abomination looks like [​IMG]

18. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Hellboy" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Hellboy" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

19. Ross Williams

Ross Williams Supporting Actor

This is spoiler filled, so proceed with caution!

I saw this at a preview on Monday, it had been getting way hyped up by the Aint-it-cool types, so I was setting myself up for a let down... and I was still let down.

It does get many things right: Perlman as Hellboy is fantastic. I really enjoyed the love story between Hellboy and Liz. The look of the film is fantastic, maybe the prettiest comic book film yet. Overall I did enjoy it, but I had some pretty big problems with it.

The Helldogs are anticlimactic. They can't be killed or two will come back. I enjoyed the first fight he has with the one in the subway, but then we learn this fact, and it makes them pretty boring, cause you know they're just going to keep coming back... and won't they eventually over-run the world? Liz kills about 20 of them in one scene. So 40 more, coming right up...

After this scene where Liz kills all the helldogs, we jump into a scene where Hellboy and Liz are tied up. How did they get there? No explanation what-so-ever... I'm guessing there's a deleted scene in there.

The biggest bad-ass in the film, the "un-dead Nazi guy", is completely underused. After he kills Hellboy's father there's no retribution, or maybe there was, but it was really small because I can't remember what happened to him. Shouldn't this have been the biggest fight scene in the film? Hellboy is pissed about his dad! (Somebody remind me what happened to him.)

The ending battle totally sucked... so suddenly there's this giant tenticle monster. Hellboy takes all of 20 seconds to kill it off. What was the point of the scene?

I was really hoping it would be great, but with this many problems I can't say that.

20. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Just got back, and I really liked it. Initially I was a little worried, but with the recent TV spots and the preview disc from BB I gained some confidence. This falls in the upper echelon of recent comic book adaptations, and I can't wait to pick up all the DVD releases.

I agree about the film feeling a little edited. There were a few moments that I thought would continue, but just tapered off. That being said, I think Hellboy was really good at balancing the time in respect to all of the characters. To bring up another comic book film, Daredevil, I thought that it's scope was way too big for the time allotted (which makes sense considering so much was hacked out during the editing process). Hellboy, on the other hand, was able to introduce the Baddies, show off Hellboy's past/possible destiny, while still getting great stuff from secondary characters like Myers, Abe Sapien, Liz, and the Professor. I liken this to the first X-Men's great introduction to all of the characters.

Perlman was definitely the best pick for Hellboy. I could see this from all the previews, but the film solidifies it even more. Hurt was great, as was Rupert Evans and the rest of the supporting cast.

This film felt like a comic. Much like Blade 2, Del Toro's visual style really tied the movie together. Unlike Blade 2, I felt that there wasn't as much of a dependence on CG...and when there was CG, it didn't look nearly as cartoon-like.

I'm sure I'll be watching this one for years to come. Hopefully it gets enough crossover fans to produce some quality sequels.