What's new

*** Official HELLBOY 2: The Golden Army Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

But this sounded like someone trying to impersonate David Hyde Pierce - which it was. The new voice distracted me because it took me a while to adapt to the altered actor.

Does anyone know why DHP didn't return?

Claire Panke

Second Unit

Geez, this is such a well known story I can't believe you have to ask.

You've actually got it turned around. For the first Hellboy, the studio decided that Abe Sapien should have a "name actor" voice the character, even though GDT was opposed to it. David Hyde-Pierce respected Doug Jones' performance so much, he deliberately inflected his vocal performance to more closely resemble Doug's voice and inflections.

For HB 2, GDT wanted Doug's own voice used in the movie for a total performance. What you're hearing is Doug's own actorly voice - and I should know: He's from my area and was very active in local theater. If you've ever heard him in interviews, he sounds a little bit like DHP all on his own, although he can muster up more vocal variety than you might suspect. Go to dougjones.com for more.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Doug does the voice on the animated movies (along with Ron Perlman and Selma Blair providing their voices too), so there was time to adjust, for me anyway.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I thought it was a bit better the second time around and the audience was definitely into the the film more than the first audience I saw it.

Last nights group really enjoyed the film alot.

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
Glad you said it first, Crawdaddy! I didn't notice either, but it has been some time since I have watched the first one.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Funny - I realized it wasn't DHP when I saw the trailers. The voice is close but not close enough... :shrug:

Jon Moss

Stunt Coordinator

Colin, I believe you originally stated;

"But this sounded like someone trying to impersonate David Hyde Pierce - which it was."

What Claire was referring to in her reply, was that in the original movie David Hyde Pierce was trying to imitate Doug Jones' voice, as he really respected Doug's performance of Abe Sapien. Hence in Hellboy 2 Doug Jones isn't "trying to impersonate" DHP, he's using own voice.. the voice you would've heard in Hellboy if the studio hadn't insisted DHP do the voiceover.

I believe on the director's cut DVD of Hellboy it mentions that DHP really didn't want to do the original voiceover. He had to be pushed into it as he admired Doug Jones' original performance so much.

With Del Toro's newfound clout after Pan's Labyrinth, and the great performances from Doug Jones as The Fawn & The Pale Man, they had a bit more power over the studio this time round.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
"Turned around" means that you thought Doug Jones was aping David Hyde Pierce in HB II. The fact of the matter, based on what Claire stated, is that Hyde Pierce was aping Doug Jones in HB I.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
It's also worth noting that David Hyde Pierce took his name off of the first film so as not to take anything way from Doug Jones' performance.

Kachi Khatri

Second Unit
Real Name
Jay
I had fun seeing the first Hellboy movie and even more fun seeing the second. The creator, Mignola and director del Toro with the artists they selected to collaborate with are building a grand modern myth is a worthy effort.

Flaws and all, Hellboy II is grandeur and the titular character is what makes me fascinating to watch. Del Toro has shows his skill in straddling art-house and fantasy genre. One of the best visionary directors out there and I’m glad he’s getting more in the mainstream.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
A couple of questions. Did I hear the steam guy say "suck my swanstuchah!" towards the end. If so, that's a little homage to Young Frankenstein. And weren't there a couple of other references to past films, via a tv screen: Bride of Frankenstein and Creature from the Black Lagoon?

Why are HB's horn's cut off? I have not followed this franchise and I'm curious.

I enjoyed the troll market, it kept me busy looking for all the creatures in it. I don't think SW has the patent on scenes with lots of aliens.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
He keeps his horns shaved down because they make him feel self-conscious about being a demon.

And yeah, there were a few Universal horror references peppered throughout the film.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
So, he, ah...thinks he's less conspicuous with the horns shaved down? Awww...that's cute, but kinda like the bald man's comb over, it doesn't work.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I mentioned this in http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...y-control.html and I was wondering if anyone else had a similar experience.

I saw Hellboy II on Saturday and I was quite confused. It seems that it was not properly framed or something weird was going on. Throughout the whole movie I could see about one foot or more of movie above and below the screen frame. You could see part of light scenes distorted on the ceiling. Anyone have any idea what was actually going on? In one scene Liz reaches down below the frame to grab something and I could see her actually grabbing it, while I guess where it was properly framed people would only see her bringing the item up.

Neil

MikeRS

Screenwriter
I thought visually and technically (the sheer craftsmanship), it blew away the original. It looks like it cost twice it's budget, and you can literally get drunk off the imagery. It just keeps coming at you, from beginning to end. It's definitely worth seeing on the big screen for that reason alone.

But although there are some great character moments throughout, I didn't think the story/narrative through line, worked as well as the earlier picture. I can definitely say the third act/climax of the first film hit me much harder emotionally. This one one didn't even come close. Although I thought the original had flaws (mostly due to studio interference and a tight budget), the 3rd act really raised my estimation of that picture. Hellboy 2's tale just didn't amount to much emotionally, from my perspective.

I did love Abe getting beefed up as a character, and Johann Krauss was a great addition.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks