What's new

*** Official HD support, 5.1 & 16:9 Game Survey Thread (1 Viewer)

PS Nystrom

Second Unit
Mario Party 4 for GameCube
480p: YES
16:9 NO
The box has a Dolby Surround (not DPL2) logo, but the game options only include Mono and Stereo.
Pieter

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
(note)This product requires that you use the standard composite video connection (yellow rca connector) between your game system and Tv. The composite video cable comes standard with all xbox game systems. I guess this means I cant you my monster s-video which sucks because then I wont be able to play the game in 5.1 surround sound either.Well will know tomorrow for sure. "
Gee, and yet you can do 480p with the Dreamcast guns by Madcatz.

I can think of 3 scenarios:

1) The XBox hardware itself was poorly designed and this will not work. I believe the XBox passes the video sync to the controller port so that a light gun can have 'Guncon-grade' accuracy. Perhaps they only pass 480i sync.
2) Madcatz screwed up the gun design.
3) Sega screwed up the coding of HotD3, and since it is the only gun game, Madcatz labeled the guns as not working with better signals at all (to avoid returns).

I'm still confused as to it not working with s-video (which you could use on the DC and even the PSX Guncon with the right cable). Does this gun plug into the composite connection in addition to the controller port (a la the original Guncon 1)?

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
well i'm still holding out hope that it will actually WORK with an HDTV, because this is the deciding factor on whether i buy an xbox or not!! hopefully someone will be able to test this out, because it makes no sense.

also, if i don't have a vga input on my tv, i can't get the dreamcast gun to work, right? i tried with s-video with no results.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Sean,

If your set is HD (and is not one of the VERY few HD sets with a true 480i mode), you would have to use a rgb->component transcoder with the VGA box.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I bought the RCA VHDC300 transcoder (VGA to component) for only $35 on eBay. You can get them for under $50 no problem.
I had one of those and it worked great for 540p/1080i (I had a DTC-100), but with 480p timings the image was way off center, and adjusting the potentiometer was not enough to fix it.

I'm not saying they are all like this, but mine definitely was.

Jon Diehl

Stunt Coordinator
The image shifting was a problem with the DTC-100's (not the transcoder itself) and that has been fixed with an update almost 2yrs ago. I still use my DTC-100, that thing works like a champ.

Even before the update though, the transcoder itself has a fine adjustment knob (I guess that is the potentiometer?)for horizontal shifting where I was able to center the picture on my screen.

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
Haha John,
That comic in your home theater pics is funny..moreso because they talk about a widescreen set, but are looking at a 4x3 for sure!

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
The image shifting was a problem with the DTC-100's (not the transcoder itself) and that has been fixed with an update almost 2yrs ago. I still use my DTC-100, that thing works like a champ.
Even before the update though, the transcoder itself has a fine adjustment knob (I guess that is the potentiometer?)for horizontal shifting where I was able to center the picture on my screen.
No, the DTC-100 does not output 480p.
And I had the latest firmware (with the timing fix). The image was fine with the DTC-100 and this transcoder.
I'm stating that I also used this transcoder with the Dreamcast VGA output (480p), and that it was impossible to center the image.
So the transcoder worked fine with 540p/1080i, but I couldn't get it to center vanilla VGA (480p) timings.

Jon Diehl

Stunt Coordinator
Oh, okay. I didn't follow that you had tried using with something other than the DTC-100. Gotcha.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Okay guys, I may be a little slow here, but what exactly does an rgb component transcoder do? I even read about it at the digital connection and could not understand why I need one. Is this for people with 4x3 tv's? And people that do not have component inputs on their tv's? If I have a 16x9 hdtv is there a need for one of these? It also looks like it converts normal satellite signals into hdtv signals. Is that true?

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Okay, never mind, I read more about them and think I understand. You need this when you are using a vga connection to a tv that does not have vga inputs. But now I am confused again. Doesn't the XBOX sell a vga to component cable? That is how I have my PS2 setup.

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
You wouldn't use the transcoder with an XBox, because the XBox doesn't output VGA/RGB. I believe they were talking about the VGA box for the Dreamcast.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Yes, only the Dreamcast would need a transcoder.

And if you have an earlier HDTV with RGBHV, you don't even need it for the Dreamcast.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks