*** Official "HART'S WAR" Review Thread

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert Crawford, Feb 14, 2002.

1. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Dec 9, 1998
    This thread is now the Official Review Thread for Hart's War. Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.
    Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!
    If you need to discuss those type of issues, please post your discussion comments in the Official Discussion Thread for this film which can be found at this link.
    Thank you for your consideration in this matter.
  2. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

Jan 6, 2001
    Anyway...to sum it up, take WWII, A young hero, courtroom drama, racial discrimination, and corrutpion, drag it out, and you got yer self Hart's Bore..I mean War [​IMG]
    It had a strong start then slowed down. It was a fair story and kept me interested thoughout.
    I'd give it about 3 outta 5 stars.
  3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Jun 30, 1999
    I'll just say that it's pretty good, and the performances are enjoyable (though Colin Farrell is a bit too stoic/staid - it makes you wonder what Edward Norton might have done in this role). If you like military justice films, you'll probably like this film.

I give it a grade of B or 3 stars.
  4. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

Oct 26, 1998
    I finally caught this one on DVD. It’s a story about an idealistic young man/soldier who learns about the realities of war and the sacrifices that had to be made.
    Some people appear to might have missed the essence of the story. The title is very fitting as the film is more or less a realization for Thomas Hart, played beautifully by Colin Farrell (Tigerland, Minority Report). It is based on a novel John Katzenbach, from the experiences of his father, former U.S. Atty. Gen. Nicholas Katzenbach, which provided the inspiration.
    Hart’s ideals, reminded me of the same ideals by the character played by Jimmy Stewart in Frank Capra’s Mr. Smith Goes To Washington. With Hart’s privileged upbringing and Jefferson Smith’s naïve and noble past, both are pitted against the harsh realities of a different world they have never experienced before. In addition, this time, we also get a very engaging war drama with believable resolutions and where earnestness becomes a true virtue.
    The acting by the rest of the cast is heartfelt. Hart’s War rates [​IMG] (out of four).