1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

*** Official "HART'S WAR" Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RossTerry, Jan 26, 2002.

1. RossTerry

RossTerry Guest

first of all I did a search and didnt find a thread on this movie.

Hart's War is being release on Feb. 15 and i just saw a trailer for it and i'm interested in it. But I admit i am a Bruce Willis fan; Colin Farrell(sp) also stars.

It take place in a WW2 prison camp and seems to be a mix of an action movie and a "courtroom" type movie. Its directed by Gregory Hoblit who has directed Frequency, Primal Fear, and episodes of Law and Order and NYPD blue.

2. Bill J

Bill J Producer

I think that Hart's War will be very similar to Enemy at the Gates in terms of style. I'm not really looking forward to it, but I'll seee it in the theater. I'm more anxious to see Windtalkers.

3. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

I saw this one recently and my review is available here.
    (So for the linked review, but some of my reviews remain my property (the recent one I did for Super Troopers for example) while others "belong" to a specific site. In these cases, it would be wrong of me to simply cut n paste them.)
    Essentially, I think Hart's War is a movie that starts out really strong before devolving into yet another tired old courtroom drama. Worth a rental (especially for one LOUD action scene early on), but probably not worth a night on the town.

4. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Hart's War". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.
    All HTF member film reviews of "Hart's War" should be posted here.
    Thank you for your consideration in this matter.
    Crawdaddy

5. Paul W

Paul W Second Unit

Okay, I'm confused here: when Colonel McNamara offers his life in exchange for everyone else involved in the plot to blow up the munitions plant, why doesn't Major Visser go ahead and shoot the rest of the conspirators?

Any self respecting Stallag Commandant would have liquidated the whole lot. It is hinted during the movie that there is a certain animousity between the two that leads Visser to being satisfied with McNamara's death, but this is never detailed in the movie.

I found the ending very abrupt and confusing.

6. Stacy Huff

Stacy Huff Second Unit

Ok, I'll take a shot, and I'm not going to worry about any spoilers. Actually, I'm with you in thinking that in reality all the guys would have been killed. But here's my attempt at an explanation:

While there was animosity between Visser and McNamara, I think it was professional animosity. I think that there was also professional respect, one soldier to another. Visser had been a soldier in WWI, where he fought and was wounded--he wasn't always a sadistic camp commandant. In fact, I don't think that he was particularly sadistic--the men in the camp, at least on the U.S. side, seemed to be getting along alright, with food, a theater, etc. Visser was harder on the Soviet soldiers, but that was explained by the fact that his son had died on the eastern front fighting the Soviet Army. Moreover, Visser had studied in the U.S., so perhaps he felt more kinship with the Americans. Furthermore, McNamara passed on his opportunity to kill Visser in the office. Perhaps Visser remembered that. Finally, McNamara had pointed out in that conversation that although Visser was currently in a position to give orders, the falling bombs that they heard, which definitely weren't propaganda, signified that in due time the Germans would be defeated, and McNamara would be the one in a position to give orders to Visser. Perhaps Visser, recognizing the futility of the German war effort, and suffering from the loss of his son, figured that it would be pointless to waste the lives of the 35 men. Perhaps he also realized that there would be a personal cost to him when the camp was liberated. And maybe he was just tired of killing.

Of course, it could also be that it's a Hollywood movie. Who knows?

7. Bob Partovi

Bob Partovi Stunt Coordinator

how is it in comparison to the Great Escape?