What's new

*** Official "HARRY POTTER & THE PHILOSOPHER'S/SORCERER'S STONE" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
quote: Yeah, and he'll hardly be able to wait until book five comes out[/quote]
There's a way around it. Do what I do, Read the first 4 again....and again and again and again! :)
Dan (UK)
[Edited last by Dan Brecher on November 04, 2001 at 12:39 PM]

Brian E

Screenwriter
SLIGHTLY off topic, but do any good wizards here know where I can find the UK theatrical one sheet with that great artwork as seen on the CD cover but with the 'Philosopher's Stone' subtitle? I'm really looking hard for this.
If you find out please let me know. I've found all of the other UK posters available, but this is the one I want to get ahold of.
------------------
-Brian
http://www.brianeberling.com/collection.html

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
The premiere was very positive:
http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm...atestheadlines
------------------

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
Anyone know what the AR for this one will be?
Theatrical Aspect Ratio: 2.40:1 (Super 35). All released trailers have not been adapted to the anamorphic blow up yet, so that's why they look a little "flat". :)
Jason
------------------
Link Removed Link Removed Link Removed
[email protected] 2001 Film List I Am Jack's DVD List
"Clown college? You can't eat that!" Homer Simpson
My Own Film Review Website Is Coming Soon!

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
So, I guess I'm the only one who read the first book, found it boring and never looked at a Harry Potter book again..?
On the other hand, this movie looks really interesting, much better than the book
wink.gif
Btw, regarding the discussion on the title, like the previous time this was discussed, I looked it up on dictionary.com:
phi·los·o·phers' stone also phi·los·o·pher's stone (f-ls-frz) n.
A substance that was believed to have the power of transmuting base metal into gold. Also called elixir
So it is not just any stone that happens to be owned by a philosopher (or a sorcerer, for that matter
wink.gif
)
------------------
/Mikael
No! Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.
[Edited last by Mikael Soderholm on November 05, 2001 at 09:14 AM]

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Mikael, I can't recommend strongly enough that you try reading the second novel. I too found the first one a bit dull the first time through; as someone who has read a few fantasy novels before the whole 'wow, they teach magic and ride broomsticks and stuff' thing was a bit overlong. Its necessary to lay the groundwork and create the world and introduce everyone though, so that when we come to the sequels we can get on with the actual plot and character development. Chamber Of Secrets is a much better read in my opinion, and certainly a much better second-time through read.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Here's another link talking about an extremely positive reaction to HP:
http://dailynews.yahoo.com/htx/nm/20...rreview_2.html
------------------

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
Iain, thanks for the tip, I'll keep it in mind. Many friends say the same thing, but I just felt the first one was too much Enid Blyton for me (does anyone remeber her books?), there is a limit to how many books about britsh youth drinking tea you can read and enjoy
wink.gif

But I'm not at Terry Pratchett fan, either, I'm more hard SF than fantasy, but I will see this film :).
------------------
/Mikael
No! Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Link Removed
From the London premiere. Of note, Rupert Grint seems to have outgrown Daniel Radcliffe, which would help keep things accurate with the books, though it could just be the angle. Also, Emma Watson is a cute little girl when they don't have her all "Hermione-ized." Also, when I watched the premiere live on the WB site, they had these prominient shots of all these British stars whom I couldn't place in a million years. Quite the event though, from the looks of things.
------------------
My DVD Collection
My Preorders
My Wishlist
Potter is coming...

KonradM

Auditioning
Having devoured the four books (Started reading them to the kids on a long weekend car trip and couldn't wait to finish) I am even more anxious for the film after reading your review. Your discusion of disappointment with snape's character could be right on. Snape is not a major character but he is an importent and strong character in the book. Alan Rickman is a great choice for snape and hopefully the movie hasn't downplayed his annoyance factor in the book too much. As everone else has badgered you to read the book all will just say have a week and a half or so of time available because you won't put them down till you read book four and then will be asking when is book 5 due out. Hopefully they can keep up the movie making with the later books, you have made is sound like a hard act to follow. Great review.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Quite the event though, from the looks of things.
Wasn't it? I think the big Hogwarts banner is staying up outside the Odeon cinema where it premiered. That's where I am seeing the movie on Saturday, very nice auditorium and A/V presentation.
Dan (UK)

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor
As I also attended this screening with Ron, I chime in my 2 cents...
I did not care for HARRY POTTER....
As a reader of the books, I felt that they tried to cram to much into the film laboring the pace....
Chris Columbus was afraid to eliminate areas not to disappoint fans... again, this labored the pace for me.
It was distracting that the meat of the plot was constanting taking a side trip to another character instead of increasing the suspense of Harry's quest.
Don't get me wrong.... The film is not bad by any means... but, I certainly felt different from Ron.
Dugger

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
I have just seen the film, and, having never read any of the books, I didn't know what to expect.
I thought it was a very well made film, and thankfully the 3 main child actors are good enough - especially the kid who plays Ron Weasley. Some of the other kids in the film who had speaking parts were a bit weak but there were only small parts.
I thought the Quidditch match was a bit weak though, but then I suppose if you have read the books this will mean more to you. Whilst obviously not the most important thing, the special effects for this match weren't that great (though I am nitpicking here, and I am sure most kids won't notice).
Robbie Coltrane and Maggie Smith were very good, and Alan Rickman was also good, but his part seemed very small (does he come into the series more later ?)
I certainly didn't notice the length of the film, the time went very quickly.
It made me want to read the books, which I am going to now. I am sure people who have read the books will appreciate the details of the film a lot more, but for those who haven't read the books, I would still recommend it.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
quote: Hehe, that's funny. From a British citizen's point of view watching the premiere footage, for once I was personally happy to see the lack of many British C-list celebs who insist on showing up at these things. Apparently the guest list for Philosopher's stone was quite a select one...[/quote]I was, of course, speaking of my own ignorance not the quality of those present :) It's amazing, this has to be the one event equally big on both sides of the Atlantic. During one period of my European History course, my teacher mentioned she was taking her nieces to see the film on the 16th :)
------------------
My DVD Collection
My Preorders
My Wishlist
Potter is coming...
[Edited last by Adam Lenhardt on November 10, 2001 at 09:27 PM]

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Dan Brecher
C'mon Dan, spill the beans. I am eagerly awaiting your review of this film since you love the books as much as I and many others here do. Was it bloody great or bleedin' awful?
Tino
(Muggleus anticipatum extaordinaire`) :)
------------------
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks