What's new

*** Official "HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I've read all the books, but there are gaps in my memory of some details. I remember the battle between the good and bad sides feeling much more epic, more climactic, than what was shown in the movie. Also, the movie didn't quite pull off the intent Snape had in the book to teach Harry something after the death of Dumbledore. Other than those two things, I didn't have too much problem with the film.

I have to say, I find the whole "old English buildings and countryside" milieu of the films extremely appealing. There's just something about ancient stone and wooden walls and doors and green, dark forests. Very different from the dry heat of Southern California.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Originally Posted by RobertR

I've read all the books, but there are gaps in my memory of some details. I remember the battle between the good and bad sides feeling much more epic, more climactic, than what was shown in the movie. Also, the movie didn't quite pull off the intent Snape had in the book to teach Harry something after the death of Dumbledore. Other than those two things, I didn't have too much problem with the film.
Well, you are remembering things correctly. There was more of a battle at the end of the book.
The speculation is that it wasn't shown so as not to steal any thunder from the last movie, but that doesn't seem like a very good reason to me.
And I wish that they would've included more of the battle. It is a bit surprising to me that HBP was more expensive to make than OotP when they scaled down the end as much as they did.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Well David,
If that was the reason, it was a poor one, I think. As grand as the battle was at the end of HBF in the book, Rowling took it to a much higher level in Deathly Hallows. The final battle at Hogwart's is SO grand and epic that I kept thinking "Holy moly, I REALLY hope the filmmakers have the budget and skill to pull this off right!". If done right, it will be one of the greatest battle scenes ever put on film. It was pretty apparent to me that Rowling wrote it that way.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by RobertR

Well David,
If that was the reason, it was a poor one, I think. As grand as the battle was at the end of HBF in the book, Rowling took it to a much higher level in Deathly Hallows. The final battle at Hogwart's is SO grand and epic that I kept thinking "Holy moly, I REALLY hope the filmmakers have the budget and skill to pull this off right!". If done right, it will be one of the greatest battle scenes ever put on film. It was pretty apparent to me that Rowling wrote it that way.
David Yates flat out said that the creative reason for splitting the last book into two films was to get the necessary budget for all of the book's set pieces. There was no way they would have been able to afford everything in DH with the budget for one movie.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
That helps Adam, thanks. Now let's just hope that the direction, writing, production values, etc. all do it justice.

ToddP

Stunt Coordinator
So much has already been said in this thread that most of my thoughts are already covered. The one thing I will say, is that these films could have taken much more advantage of the DVD medium than they have, a la Lord of the Rings. Peter Jackson so skillfully and artfully made use of the medium, probably more so than any other director I've seen to this point. The Harry Potter films, particularly from Prisoner of Azkaban on, have been in such need of director's cut/extended edition DVDs.

I understand that such additional filming requires bigger budgets, but I think that everyone realizes that the HP films easily cover their budgets (and then some), both in theaters and again on DVD. IMO, extended editions of HP3, HP5 and HP6 (and to a lesser extent HP4) would have been so much more satisfying (if done properly) to the hardcore Potter fans that DVD sales for the films would likely have dwarfed anything else out there to this point outside of Disney.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Well I've managed to see HBP 3 times now. This is one is so different but it quietly emerging as one of my favorites.

I failed to mention Michael Gambon's performance in my first review. In many shots it reminded me of Gandalf from FOTR. I will say with confidence that Gambon's performance is truly the film's best and he deserves Oscar mention for his supporting role. His presence in this film has many comparisons to Ian McKellan's Gandalf....I loved them both.

HBP is a wonderful entry in the Potter series and I hope to take in one more viewing before owning the Blu-ray.

The score is very effective as well.....

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I haven't read the books and have only seen the movies. But, the thought of waiting another year and a half was just too much. Especially, since I have been avoiding spoilers from each book until I have seen the movie. So I have started to listen to Deathly Hallows on tape. So far I am at the scene right after their escape from Bill's Wedding. I have to say I was very shocked they killed Dumbledore in HBP. And it seemed so Ben Kenobi like. Where he let himself be killed. But, we shall see. :)

LynxFX

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ole Oleson
That's funny, I'm doing the exact same thing. I just started Deathly Hallows this week and I'm listening to it on my way to and from work. This will be the first one I've 'read' before seeing the filmed version.

Originally Posted by todd s
So I have started to listen to Deathly Hallows on tape.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks