What's new

*** Official "HARRY POTTER AND THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS" Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
Based on some discussions held here a year ago between Harry Potter and a certain other fantasy film, there are those who might think that I prefer the journey of a boy wizard to that of a certain Hobbit named Frodo. That would hardly be true at all. In fact, the first installment in a series of films about kids who aspire to be great wizards was such a letdown that my enthusiasm to see the next installment was virtually nil.
In the first Potter film, I went ahead and read the source material before seeing it. This time, I thought I’d take a different approach and not read the book beforehand hoping that it would be a better experience. Having now seen Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, the young actors have definitely matured on their own and so has the entire film. But very much lacking in this installment is the element of surprise including the suspense and tension needed to sustain its action sequences.
Things appear out of nowhere and not because of the protagonists’ own doing that ultimately save them out of tight spots. I guess one can call these machinations as “elements of surprise” and indeed they are but not in a positive way and very much to the detriment of the story and the entire film. Why can’t these wizards-to-be come up with their own way of saving themselves? As such, some of the action sequences just fall flat on their own.
In the end, I’m still not quite sure if Chamber of Secrets is any better than The sorcerer’s Stone. While it does gain in certain areas such as better special effects and a more assured acting and directing, these are things that are normally expected when working with the same cast and crew. And somehow, these gains are cancelled to a certain extent by a few elements that weigh down on its story.
Definitely, its target audience would not mind these problems I talk about but to others, and most especially this viewer, they do cast a negative spell.
~Edwin

Tom Blizzard

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom Blizzard
Interesting:
Glad to see that someone (many of you ) had the same reaction that I had.
I agree with:
1. Patrick
2.JonZ
3.Dan
4.WilliamP
5.Todd
6.Josh
(and) 7.Brian.............
It seems all the other threads I've read have been overly positive...... thought I wasn't being too psychotic (or something) ;)
P.S. I forgot to add: I do NOT like Super 35!!!

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
In the end, I’m still not quite sure if Chamber of Secrets is any better than The sorcerer’s Stone. While it does gain in certain areas such as better special effects and a more assured acting and directing, these are things that are normally expected when working with the same cast and crew. And somehow, these gains are cancelled to a certain extent by a few elements that weigh down on its story.
Pretty well sums up my feelings Edwin.

The improvements in supporting cast ie Lockhart and Lucius Malfoy were offset by some of the story elements that didn't work properly. The sudden reappearance of the Weasely car at an opportune moment was the worst offense.

Also the main 3 kid actors seemed more natural in the first movie. This time around - they were guilty of over acting a few times.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks