What's new

*** Official "HARRY POTTER AND THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Good to know. The bass was insaine at the Odeon too, notably for the bludger in the Quidditch scene and the mix got distrbingly loud with the basilisk.

Dan

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
My wife and I just saw HP:COS and were both very underwhelmed. We did not like it as well as Sorcerer's Stone.

Our main comments on the drive home:

1. The score seemed very much to be a rehash of the score from Sorcerer's, with very few prominent new themes.

2. Voldemort seems like Freddy Krueger or Jason...kill him all you want but he keeps coming back...and in a different form!

3. What the heck WAS the chamber of secrets...and why did it contain a big snake?

4. We liked all the child actors...and pretty much all the adult ones too. We really liked Kenneth Branaugh.

5. Why was their water conveniently on the floor everywhere that people were being petrified? Was it because the snake was wet? It just seemed a little convenient to use as an excuse why no one looked right AT the snake.

6. Columbus fell into some of the same problems that Lucas had with TPM...in many cases he TOLD us what happens instead of showing us.

7. The first 35 minutes all seemed like a re-hash of Sorcerer's stone...Harry has problems with his muggle parents; someone rescues Harry so he can go to Hogwart's...they travel to Hogwart's, etc. It really seemed like 30-40 minutes before they got into the "meat" of the plot that involved the Chamber of Secrets.

So all in all we were not impressed...I will probably give this one another go on DVD.

Looking forward to Prisoner of Azkaban!

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
7. The first 35 minutes all seemed like a re-hash of Sorcerer's stone...Harry has problems with his muggle parents; someone rescues Harry so he can go to Hogwart's...they travel to Hogwart's, etc. It really seemed like 30-40 minutes before they got into the "meat" of the plot that involved the Chamber of Secrets.
Yes, deliberately. There is a fixed pattern to the books and the movies are replicating this. It sets the scene for those who haven't seen the earlier films, and explains a lot of Harry's character.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Andrew:

Thanks for all the clarifications!

Re: the score. Yes, I can appreciate the need for musical uniformity. Having grown up on Star Wars, I sincerely appreciate the use of leitmotif by John Williams. However, he usually introduces new themes in each additional movie, while taking the cues from the original and reimagining them in new and exciting ways. I didn't hear that in COS.

Re: the opening. Well, that's fine that you reintroduce the characters, but I found it boring.

Re: TELL us instead of SHOWING us: the explanation of why the children were petrified instead of killed was a prime example of this...the distinction between looking at the monster and looking at its reflection should have been shown on the screen, imho.

All in all, not a bad movie. Just not as good as the first one, imho.

Kevin Korom

Stunt Coordinator
The score was indeed a big disappointment, as SS had one of William's better scores in recent memory (IMO). The reason? Williams had little involvement- some other composer (can't remember his name- nobody big) used William's themes & added new music. I'm not sure why, but it was a big let-down for me as well.

As for the opening, it's much longer in the book! I think you need to have it the films; it shows the contrast between Harry's miserable home life, and his new life at Hogwarts, where he feels truly at home...

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Chris, I see what you mean about the telling/showing thing. It's a tricky one this. I personally like it the way it is. The only other way is to have brief glimpses of the kids (and of course the cat!) getting petrified. This would also work, but I wonder if it might have been a little too scary for the youngest kids?

Incidentally, Chris, your view pretty much coincide with those of the film critic for The [London] Times, so you're in good company!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
the explanation of why the children were petrified instead of killed was a prime example of this...the distinction between looking at the monster and looking at its reflection should have been shown on the screen, imho.
Again, though, this is staying faithful to the book. There are no scenes of anyone encountering the Basilisk, only the mysterious discovery of the petrified victims. Harry only works out the reflection theory after he and Ron find the paper clenched in Hermione's hand.

I can see your point, but in being faithful to the book those "encounter" scenes would have to be written new because they don't really exist other than verbally as part of Harry's 2-minute summary in the Hospital Wing.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Great responses everyone.

I realize that many of my criticisms are really leveled against the story as told in the book...a few are directorial choices, but many are story choices.

John Geelan

Screenwriter
Saw the movie tonight with my kids and I can proclaim this one is a stinker!
Real boring and just plain terrible. It just goes on and on with nothing really happening. When finally something happens (spiders and snakes) their is no real peril. You know that everything will work out allright...so what's the point.
Are they gonna just rehash the same basic plot everytime out and make $$$$. Looks like they will and their's plenty of suckers.
These Harry Potter movies make Star Wars look like Shakespeare and The Lord Of The Ring movies look like pure Heaven!

I mean doesn't anyone else think these kids can't act a lick? And all the older actors really look like their going thru the motions.

I defintely won't be seeing the next installment. Hopefully if my kids want to see it, someone else will suffer thru this tripe.

I can't believe anyone cares if these movies are true to the book. If these movies are an example of these books..the books should be burned. Jeeshh!

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I know others have answered, but here's a few different takes:
Quidditch, at least as presented in the movie, is dumb. (I haven't read the books.) It's just fisticuffs on brooms. Aren't there any refs or rules? In the next movie, I expect Malfoy's broom will have spikes, and he'll be wielding a whip. Plus, there's the snitch, which'll give you a billion points, which is just another way in which Harry Potter can save the day. The low point of both films.
Actually, the snitch doesn't give you a billion points. It's 100. So, you can capture the snitch and lose. In fact, that exact same thing will happen in a later installment. Capturing the snitch just ends the match. Otherwise, the game can drag on for -days-. Quidditch does have rules, in a sense, but for the most part, it is a matter of wizarding skill, so equipment, etc. is only what's on the field, you can't have sticks with weaponry, etc. :)
As to the MSNBC article: bah. I've discovered if you wish to dislike something you can. I could similarly pick apart and admonish almost all writing by almost anyone and make just contend at how foolish things are. That's life. I'm in the "love it or leave it" camp. :)

Brian Ford

Stunt Coordinator
Quidditch, at least as presented in the movie, is dumb.
At first, I thought so too. However, it turns out to be a very open ended game (some which have lasted days/weeks) because there is no time limit. The score could be 2000 to 10, but the game would continue on. Sometimes seekers end the game just to end the madness, even if it results in a loss. Luckly, Harry, just happens to be a good Seeker, so games don't drag on like this.

I think if there is one thing the movies have done better then the books (and there are a few instances), it is the Quidditch matches. They really come to life on the big screen.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
"I know that New Line (the studio releasing the films) would have preferred us to have a little catch-up," says the director, sitting in an office in Wellington, New Zealand, speaking in a cheerful Kiwi accent and peering from behind a mop of curls and plate-size wire-rim glasses. "But I think that's a very TV kind of device. I figured the amount of people going to see Two Towers without seeing Fellowship would be fairly minute. If you can't at least spend $3 or $4 to rent it before you see Two Towers, there's no point in going."
Just my humble opinion (and Jackson's :) ) of course.

Kevin Korom

Stunt Coordinator
---John said: "Saw the movie tonight with my kids and I can proclaim this one is a stinker!
Real boring and just plain terrible. It just goes on and on with nothing really happening. When finally something happens (spiders and snakes) their is no real peril. You know that everything will work out allright...so what's the point. "
Funny, since it sounds like you liked LOTR, did you ever feel Frodo was in peril? Knew he'd be alright, too, I bet. To each his own...
---Chris said: "Actually, the snitch doesn't give you a billion points. It's 100."
Actually, it's 150, but who's counting:)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
If these movies are an example of these books..the books should be burned.
Yep, they're nearly identical to the books...which have sold tens of millions of copies. As Chris said, everyone has their own taste so while HP is a publishing phenomenon, it's obviously not your cup of pumpkin juice. :wink:

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
This sounds like the Phantom Menace debate all over again!
TPM HATERS: It's a kid's movie!
TPM LOVERS: Exactly!
:) :) :)
I like Harry Potter...I just thought the first one was more amazing. I will give COS another chance though.

John Geelan

Screenwriter
I love movies and I know most of our heroes in them are rarely really in peril but there something just not right about how they did these Harry Potter movies.

They seem to be very "by the numbers". The latest is an exact copy of the first. You know...Boy escapes mean step-parents...gets to Hogswart...plays Quidditch...finds a Mystery...Bunch of old actors frown alot...Harry solves the Puzzle...Everything turns out alright in End.

Can they keep this up for more movies?

The CGI character was lame and not a bit funny. The Flying Car is not the height of Special Effects (Chitty Chitty Bang Bang is more Magical). The Ghost in the Bathroom was annoying...who is that actor?
They even bring back the last Bad Guy in a Different Body!

Strange how this series is making tremendous $$$ yet doesn't touch other great Kids Movies like ET, Willy Wonka, Shrek, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, The Wizard Of Oz etc...

Its a puzzle to me.

Brian Ford

Stunt Coordinator
Strange how this series is making tremendous $$$ yet doesn't touch other great Kids Movies like ET, Willy Wonka, Shrek, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, The Wizard Of Oz etc...
Actually I think it is right up there with The Wizard of Oz and Willy Wonka, and also wipes the floor with ET and Shrek. I say this all because there was an entire world created and written here, places that feel like they might just exist somewhere wayout there. The Oz series and Willy Wonka do this very well and I think Potter pulls it off. Kids can't cling to those worlds from the past forever, they need something new to interest them, and Potter is doing just that for the moment.

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor
I have to agree. It's Philosophers stone rehashed. For the same reasons JohnG stated. I sat there thinking I've seen this before... hmm maybe just a glitch in the matrix?
i did find some joy in it seeing it at Loews theater in Boston, i love the sound there, shakes the very seat you're in!! wonderful!

---
jay

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks