What's new

***Official Halo 2 Strategy Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
As an addendum to the official Halo 2 discussion thread I'm opening another specifically for strategy discussion (for both the single and multiplayer games). Where warranted please use spoiler tags!

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit
Well, aside from actual strategy, I'd like to know how everyone approaches the game. I am currently on the level Regret and playing it on normal and find myself creeping around corners and sneaking up on enemies. I played the same way in Halo 1. I'm not much of a run in a shoot wildly type of player. I prefer silent tactics, placing plasma grenades on unsuspecting enemies. Snipe everything I can see. The only time in Halo 2 that I can say I rush into a room and slaughter everything is when I am using the Plasma Sword and I am fighting the Flood.

What about everyone else?

Diallo B

Screenwriter
i play the same way as well. the exception is when i am playing a coop with someone that KNOWS how to play first person shooters. then we can both run into a room watch each other's six and lay mad waste upon convenant scum!

the other thing we do when playing coop is when dealing with tough opponents like elites, ultras or large numbers of the flood one person will be the bait and run them right into the line of fire of the other chief. the bait has to know how to get out of the way and strafe while firing.

my brother and i beat the first halo playing 12 hours straight using these tactics. it got to the point where we were playing without saying anything. we just knew what the other person was supposed to do. i do the driving he does the firing. i do the flying, he lays cover fire. i take out tanks and turrents he gets the ghosts. etc.....

i am playing halo 2 by myself because of time constraints right now. but when we get on live, it's going to be ugly folks. i should be joining the htf clan by this weekend.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Try playing legendary co-op. You HAVE to resort to the sneaky ninja tactics in order to survive. Speaking of survive. Here are some tips for surviving the final level, The Great Journey. I applied these while playing on Legendary and work quite well. Read at your own risk!!!!

The Covenant Beam rifle is your friend in this stage. Snipers are EVERYWHERE! And on legendary, they DO NOT MISS and all hits are lethal. When you get to the part where Johnson takes the Scarab and you fly "cover" for him, you can simply just fly around the beach area while the Scarab marches towards the control room. That is the simplest way to stay alive without having to worry about the banshees and brutes on turrets.

However, at some point you will need to handle the turrets. What I did was fly my banshee onto the thin ledges on the mountain sides and parked it. I then walked the edges and began sniping all the brutes manning the turrets all around. THIS DOES WORK. Then I just got back in my banshee and flew off.

When Johnson is blowing open the door, you do have to engage in combat with the banshees and two wraiths. This is not so easy. But once inside, one of the hardest battles awaits.

Normally, about 6 brutes run out of the door and a large firefight starts with no cover to hide behind except the floor where you can duck into. Now this little cheat I discovered playing on normal, then tried it and it still works on legendary, but is harder to succeed at. The moment you run into the final room, hug the outer right wall and begin running to the top of the room. You will see the brutes begin rushing the room. The moment you see this, activate your active camo and run past them and into the door before it closes. On normal your cloaking lasts more than long enough to do this, but on legendary you have to time this perfectly. If you succeed in making it to the door before it closes, you skip that entire battle and go immediately to the final battle with Tartarus.

That battle is rather easy on normal, but on legendary is nightmarish sometimes. Sometimes not. I will leave that one a mystery unless some of you ask.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Yeah Sean, but probably not enough weapons and ammo to handle the final battle after that:) Seriously, on Heroic and Legendary, the final battle is nightmarish, because not only do you have to worry about Tartarus, but he also calls in lots of brutes for backup during the fight.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Hi guys,

Can someone spell out some basics that I need to learn for the multiplayer games? This is my first real Halo experience so I know next to nothing about special moves and the like.

Also is there a way to play CTF and the other multiplayer stuff against the CPU like in Unreal Championship, Timesplitters, etc.? I can't seem to find that option, but I have been known to not see things right in front of me.

Is the only way to talk to others when playing Live, is to push the white button? I've been in a lot of quiet games for some reason.

Thanks for the tips,
Geo

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks