What's new

***Official Halo 2 Discussion Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
I'm not necessarily pissed at Bungie, but more disappointed. I just don't like how campaign mode ended. Surely they could have done better than that in my opinion.

Evan M

Second Unit
The end was rather disappointing, a MAJOR cliffhanger... and no clue when the next game, if there even IS a next game, will be out to finish the story.

However,I am still VERY pleased with the game... the story progressed well through every level, was very engrossing, and the gameplay was fantastic. I have no complaints, really, but I can understand why some people don't like it. Battling on Earth or not doesn't really make a bit of difference to me, as long as the game plays good and does have a good story (whether the story is what I expected or not)

Sergey M

Stunt Coordinator
Hi guys,

I was at the local Blockbuster and they have Halo 2 2005 calendars up for sales. Looks very nice. Thought I'd let you know.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Now that I think about it, the ending was no worse than the ending to Soul Reaver (for being a cliffhanger that is)...

What I want to know is why there's no in game brightness/gamma control. Halo 2 is WAY too dark. I could fix it by changing the brightness on my TV, but then I have to go back and recalibrate to do anything else (DVDs etc). Maybe this is an excuse to get a better TV with per-input video presets...

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Did anyone ever play the Quake 2 mod called JAILBREAK?

Each team had a jail and when you shot a guy he went into your jail. Get everyone in your jail and you get an "execution", ie everyone is killed for 1 point each (plus 1 point for putting them in) and you get a total respawn. Playing for total point goal or time limit.

The catch was that at any time, ala kick the can, you could run in and hit the open door button to let your teammates out. Plus they added an escape aspect where a couple of players could stand on each other's shoulders and climb out a little tunnel only reachable in this manner. Escapes took a point from the other team.

So you had (or should) keep a guard at the jail. No flag, no territory. Like team slayer but also with an objective angle.

Greatest FPS team game I ever played. I'd love to see a Halo 2 version of that.

Even though the maps get replayed over and over, it is cool to see how strategies and counter strategies evolve. Stuff that worked early on is already outdated. That's what makes interactive games like this fresh IMO.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I just finished the other day and have to say that maybe I spent more time than I realized, but the H2 campaign felt a lot shorter. Far less Flood stages for example.

I also wish there had been more Earth type stuff. And I sorta wished they'd get away from blowing up more rings.

Plus, the back and forth between characters sort of left me forgetting where I'd left off last time and exactly what the story was.

It still played well, but as far as campaign story goes, I prefer Halo 1 at this point.

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
I just finished the campaign over the weekend and must resound what Seth stated. Storyline got choppy at times switching back and forth, lack of earth scenarios, etc.

And am I the only one who couldn't understand a word the big ugly monster with the tentacles said in the cut scenes? I caught a few words here and there, and generally understood what was going on, but I was left scratching my head wondering WTF he just said.

I have to say, I was already halfway expecting a cliffhanger ending (with the success of these Halo games, no way they don't do H3), but when it happened, I was left feeling "thats it?". It just seemed shorter than H1.

I haven't tried the xbl yet, but did dabble a little with the split screen 'slayer' mode with a buddy. That was a kick in the pants. I was able to extract my revenge on him for all those years he wiped the floor with me in Tribes2. :D

Evan S

Senior HTF Member

Chris, luckily on my Hitachi 51T700, I don't have per-video inputs, but I do have a night/day setting for each input. Both my DVD player and my XBOX use the video 2 input on my TV (I do the switching through my Anthem AVM-20) and what I do is set my DAY setting for video games and my NIGHT setting for DVD's. That way, no matter what I am watching, I am only one click away for proper calibration for each source. Basically the calibrations for the two inputs are identical, but I do have to increase the brightness for many videogames, not just Halo 2. In fact, I find the problem to be the most apparent for ESPN NFL 2K5 actually (being overly dark that is).

John Kilroy

Stunt Coordinator
I guess I am thick-headed, I couldn't follow the storyline all that well. Maybe somebody can answer some questions for me:

Can someone explain the big 'cliffhanger' ending? That the other rings can be detonated by remote? Why is that an ending wothy of so much praise? Or are they talking about the cutsene after the credits, where we see Cortana with Tantarus(sp)? This looks like a betrayal to me? Correct?

I put the questions in spoiler tags, so hopefully you can do the same with the answers. Thanks for any clarifications...

JK

Evan M

Second Unit
The "cliffhanger" is that:

The game ends with no resolution. Just when you think you are ending the threat of the rings forever, it's like "HA! Not that easy.. wait for the NEXT Halo..." They just throw out this idea of the "ark" being a device or place from where all the rings can be fired manually, but gives no indication what the ark is. And obviously the Cortana snip at the end adds to the frustration.

So, now we are left to speculate. Is the Ark Earth? Is the Ark on Earth? Is this why the covenant were coming to Earth? Will the next Halo ACTUALLY be ON Earth? Did Cortana betray us to Gravemind? Is Gravemind actually evil or does Cortana know something we don't?

In essence, the game left more questions than it gave answers. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing... I just hope we don't have to wait 3 more years for the next installment.. :frowning:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

What are you trying to say Martin?

That those of us that complained about a lack of center channel are stupid and our complaints have no validity??

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Ive yet to complete the game. Ive been too engulfed in Xbox Live. But I must say, I am tired of the same old games with the same old levels. time to switch it up Bungie.

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter

Well, I'm not out to call anybody stupid or invalid :).

But I do think that the E3 demos set up a certain expectation which some feel were not met, and this is much more justifiable than the center channel complaints...

At the end of the day, Halo 2 is a game, which is meant to be played. What do you suppose impacts playability more: not getting "promised" cool and exciting levels, or a lack of gun fire sound effects coming from the center channel?

Ironically, with movies, the center channel is used to better localize and define voices, and yet with Halo 2, Cortina's voice (which does come out the center channel) is sometimes overwhelmed by the other sounds during gameplay, making her very hard to understand.

To summarize: I'm NOT saying that anybody's stupid, but I am saying that the complaints have no validity. YMMV.

EDIT: Added a much needed "NOT" which should have been there all along.

Martin.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Well, it's your opinion that these complaints have "no validity". I strongly disagree.

Whether the levels are cool and exciting or deliver what was "promised" is a matter of opinion and very subjective due to ones expectations.

Saying that the game is Dolby Digital 5.1 when 90% of the time, it is not, is FACT. Big difference.

You cannot "guarantee" that a game will be cool and exciting. You can however guarantee that a game will indeed have "in-game DD 5.1 sound". Bungie did and HALO 2 doesn't.

In summary: Don't be so quick to pass judgement on what is justifiable or valid. Some might consider that rude.

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Hey,

No problem. It was a given that that was all just my opinion... which it is. I guess we can agree to disagree.

Cheers,
Martin.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
This may be a bit off topic, Im sorry, But, how do you get an image file into your signature on here? Im trying to get my Xbox Live Gamertag on here, but I coudlnt do it last night for some reason.

Users who are viewing this thread