What's new

*** Official "HALLOWEEN: RESURRECTION" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I probably will see it, maybe not this weekend, but eventually. This is a strange one for me, on one hand I find it hard to get excited about any movie with Busta Rymes in it, but on the other hand Jamie Lee Curtis is back again, always a plus, and Rick Rosenthal returns to the directing chair since 'Halloween II'.
Looks like a tried and true horror formula too, teens dared to spend the night in a haunted house and are killed off. Simple and basic, but it has been known to work on occasion so we'll see. Just as long as Marco Beltrami isn't providing the score, that guy just plain sucks! His score for 'Scream' was good, but he completly ruined Halloween H20 for me. They should have used John Carpenter's classic score.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Halloween H20 said:
:rolleyes
Marco Beltrami didn't do anything for H20, you can blame the Weinstein brothers for ruining the score of H20. They weren't happy with John Ottman's score for the film (which I thought was good), so they took tracks from Beltrami's previous scores he did for previous Dimension/Miramax films (Scream, Scream 2, etc) and inserted them into H20 replacing all of Ottman's original score.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Rick Rosenthal did a pretty good job with Halloween II I thought, so I feel a tad safe in is hands, at least he's had some 'Halloween' experience.
Matthew,
where did you hear Ottman's original score? That was incredibly lazy on Dimension's part to do something so dumb as to just take a score from another film!? I can't believe they even did that!
And unfortunatly your spoiler tags didn't block out anything when I checked my e-mail for reply notices. I read the whole thing. :frowning:

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
I'll go see it, because I am a horror fan, and I like the webcam idea. I'm not really expecting much of course, but still. The original and part 3 are the best films in the series, and the only ones I hate are H20 and part 5. Hopefully I won't hate RESURRECTION too bad.

I will also be seeing REIGN OF FIRE and ROAD TO PERDITION as well on Friday.

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
I have advance screening passes for this one on Thursday night. It was either this or the Crocodile Hunter movie. Hopefully this won't be mistake #3 in recent memory where I've gone to the wrong screenings

1 Powerpuff Girls or Mr Deeds - probably both lousy but Deeds really sucked

2 MIB2 or Like Mike - chose MIB2 and didn't like it much.

I'm not expecting greatness. Hell i'm not even expecting it to be good.

Will K

Screenwriter
I'll be going to see it because I like the series but I don't hold out much hope for this entry. I thought Rosenthal's job on HII was okay, but pretty stagnant when compared with the original.

I think the reality thing has been done to death now and it's time for filmmakers to move on to something else, but as long as it brings in the bucks...

I'm generally opposed to this one for several reasons:

1) However one feels about H20, Resurrection is a betrayal to that storyline by killing off Laurie Strode, thus negating the whole purpose of the previous entry. The character deserves better than this.
2) Busta Rhymes does not die a slow, horrible death.
3)There's no reason to introduce new reasons why Michael is what he is. That messes with the mystique of the original.
4) Did I mention Busta Rhymes does not die a slow, horrible death?
5) The whole explanation of how Michael survived his decapitation is ludicrous, even upon amateur inspection.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Wasn't Rosenthal replaced on Halloween 2? I thought that he was fired and Carpenter had to finish it and edit it. And I also remember hearing that Rosenthal was fired off of this one and they brought Steve Miner in to finish this new one.

I may be wrong, but I'm still not jazzed about this.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
where did you hear Ottman's original score? That was incredibly lazy on Dimension's part to do something so dumb as to just take a score from another film!? I can't believe they even did that!
Some of Ottman's score IS in the film, but major pieces of it were replaced by Beltrami's tracked-in music (and some small original pieces Dimension had Beltrami compose). I know somebody who worked for Miramax/Dimension at the time and she told me that the studio wanted more of a "Scream"-vibe from the film, so that's why the music was altered.

Ottman's original score is available on a terrific CD entitled "John Ottman's Portrait of Terror" on the Varese Sarabande label. Contractually, he couldn't call it the H20 soundtrack, though a careful reading of the track titles and liner notes gives it away. It's a very good orchestral horror score.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
quote...
"the studio wanted more of a "Scream"-vibe from the film..."
Now you see, that pisses me off right their! The 'Halloween' series isn't 'Scream'!!! They ruined the film by using that type of music, it wasn't 'Halloween', and it produced no suspense or tension, just average Neve Campbell, cast of the WB, "oh shit, we'd better run here comes Michael Myers!" type of shit! :angry:
It just goes to show you that the studio either doesn't give 2 shits, or they don't know what makes a film TRULY scary in the first place. "Kids today seem to love them Scream movies, just throw some Scream music in it, they'll love it!!"
BULLSHIT!!
There's a reason they call it QUIET terror. Horror films now don't have nearly enough SILENCE in them. That's what made The Exorcist so terrifying, the quiet, dead silence.
Close your eyes and picture in your mind, or better yet, pop in your dvd of the original and skip to the scene when Laurie is being chased across the street by the Shape, listen to the music, hear how it starts pounding harder as she reaches the door of the Doyal house pleading with Tommy to open the door. Or the scene when they cut to an establishing shot of the Myers house as sherriff Bracket's car pulls into frame, as we see the black letter's S H E R R I F F on his car, that eerie, haunting music starts and continues all the way through Loomis' "I met this, six year old child with this blind, pale..." speech.
THAT'S Halloween folks.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I suppose I'm the only person here who actually enjoyed Halloween H20? I thought it was a nice return to the series and emphasized suspense over body count. I also liked how Laurie was so certain about the survivability of Michael.
But, perhaps that's just an indication of some kind mental damage I've sustained over my horror movie career. :)

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Watching Busta pull some ass whooping on Michael Myers in the trailer sealed it for me. NO THANKS. Has MM become a pathetic tackling dummy now? REIGN OF FIRE, here I come!

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Alex...I also enjoyed H20. I didn't think it was a great film, but I liked it better than all the sequels, save #2.
As much as I think I won't like the Resurrection, I'm going to see it anyway...but I'm going to see Reign of Fire too :)

AJ Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
AJ
I'm watching Halloween: Resurrection first this weekend. If H8 is truly awful at least Reign of Fire can wash the bad taste out of my mouth. Throughout the series Halloween, H2, and H4 (my favorite sequel) are really the only ones I like. I grew up on Halloween and Friday movies so I'll see them in the theater no matter what just for nostalgia. I'm not expecting much for this sequel but there's always hope that I'll be entertained.

Richard WWW

Stunt Coordinator
who's up for it this weekend? Not me. Maybe I'll catch it when it's two bucks, but I can't imagine at that point there won't be something else I'd rather see. Let's see....I guess it'll be at the cheap seats in about three weeks, right?
:D

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Well, everyone knows that I love crappy horror movies, so I'll certainly be taking this one in. (Oddly enough, there was no press screening for this particular film in Philadelphia. Shocker there...)
I haven't really enjoyed a Halloween flick since the second one, but that never stops me from lining up at the trough! :laugh:
To answer the composer question, the music for Halloween: Resurrection comes from one Danny Lux. TV credits: The Bachelor, The American Embassy, Robotica, State of Grace and Boston Public, among many others. Film credits? Just Halloween: Resurrection and Stolen Summer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation199
Recent bookmarks