1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

***Official GTA3 Xbox Impressions? Thread***

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Larry Talbot, Nov 6, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Larry Talbot

Larry Talbot Second Unit

Yeah, I know, there's already a thread about GTA3's release date, but I'm looking for first hand impressions from those of you who've actually played it...I haven't played the PSX or PC versions so I'm not that concerned with how it compares to them - I just want to know how good this version is, graphics, control, gameplay etc. So - if you've played the new Xbox version: how is it?

2. AlexanderS

AlexanderS Second Unit

I was watching someone play it last night at Gamespot and it looked pretty impressive. This was Vice City. Graphics definately looked much better than the PS2 and the game itself seemed to be a little bit smoother running.

3. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    Apparently IGN likes it, they gave the double pack a 9.4.

4. I have played both on PS2. Both are great, very time gripping and you cant get yourself away from the series. For xbox: its like GTA on roids [​IMG] . Better graphics, faster load times, you can zoom out to see more of an area at once, you can see farther ahead of you (helps alot when driving down a two-laner at 60 mph), 5.1 sound, I think its gonna be presented in HD, its a big list. Bottom line youll probably love this game. Stealing cars, shooting innocent people, and taking out the local crime lord so you can move up the ladder or organized crime. And i think 9.4 is an understatement.

5. I didnt think it came out on xbox till the end of november....?

6. hmmm. have to wait till xmas. Mom was really thrilled this was on my wishlist [​IMG] . oh well, have to wait cause buying this before finals would by a bad idea.

7. Larry Talbot

Larry Talbot Second Unit

Hey, thanks for all the responses.

8. Scott_lb

Scott_lb Supporting Actor

I've only been playing Vice City so far on the box. I put in about four hours today, and the game froze up twice. Not good. Anyone else with the problem?

9. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

The addition of Dolby Digital 5.1 makes a considerable difference, in my opinion. I believe that some of the gunfire sound effects have either changed or simply have been given a volume boost. Gunfights overall do sound more intense and police chases are a whole new experience. I have a back rear surround, as well, and both games really do offer a 360 degree experience in forced 6.1

Picture quality is a noticable improvement across the board, with "Vice City" looking cleaner and crisper and "GTA III" looking much better.

Custom soundtracks make a nice bonus, too. And, as previously mentioned, load times are much better. Haven't had any freezing, yet.

10. Andrew Pezzo

Andrew Pezzo Second Unit

Is there an option to play the game in the third person while on foot like the PS2 version? I read the its now in the first person perspective for the Xbox. I am not a big fan of the change since I feel the third person view works great for this game. I wonder if you can switch between the views while on foot. Can anyone answer this for me?

11. BrianB

BrianB Producer

12. So its just like the PS2 correct? 3rd person during the game and you can "look" around in first person while standing still? Seems like things are mixed up, i understood that the game as far as the mechanics of it are the same as the PS2 version. Why would they change it to 1st person???

13. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

14. BrianB

BrianB Producer

15. Andrew Pezzo

Andrew Pezzo Second Unit

16. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

All I know is this game is fu*king *sweet*. GTA III looks so incredibly good on my tv I can't believe it. You can definitely tell the difference between interlaced and progressive with this title (if trailing is on).

As mentioned before the sound is just awesome. I'm so glad I never bought this for PS2, I finished it as a rental. The main reason I didn't buy it for the PS2 was because it looked horrible on my 65" tv. But this, oh my God.....ok I'll stop now, you get the picture.

Now if I can just get my driving skills back I'll be great [​IMG]

17. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

I love it! Looks and sounds MUCH better than the Ps2. I sold my Ps2 but had to rebuy the XBox version cause it is one of fav games ever.

The graphics and audio rock and the controls are much better on the Box.

Only problem? It did glitch on me a couple times. Nothing too serious but it did bug me a bit.

18. I know they didn't change it to first person, i was illustrating my point as to WHY would they. I also read that the controls are 100% customizable. Any truth to this?

19. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Hell no!! I wish they were, so I could change the left trigger to a hand brake, and the X button to brake/reverse.
    And I wish I could drive with the directional arrow. Other than that the controls are fine.

Only thing I hate is that the gotdamn run button gliches on me sometimes!! Drives me crazy if I on foot from the cops.

20. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

I'm going to make this the official GTA-X post release review and discussion thread.