*** Official GOTHIKA Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Jeff Adams, Nov 21, 2003.

1. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

This actually looks like a pretty good movie from the trailers. Just wondering who has seen it and what they thought of it.

2. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

3. Augustin Rodriguez

Take that information with a grain of salt. I thought the Matrix Revolutions was very good, but received a rotten from rottentomatoes.com. The critics are judging this movie, not rottentomatoes.com of course, but don't let that sway you. I remember when the Matrix first came out and the local critics gave it a D+.

It always seems like movies with unpopular content get the shaft. Very rarely do good movies with this type of content get good ratings. Don't forget to think about who's actually doing the reviewing. The Cat in the Hat is a fine example of this. This movie is getting near the same rating as Gothika, but who's reviewing this movie?

How can anyone person say what family movie is or is not going to please families. My daughter loved Piglet's Big Movie, I freaking hated it. I would never watch that sorry ass movie again if you paid me. Just as an example. If someone doesn't like the genre or content they may give it a bad review based on their own views, not what the movie has to offer.

Just my two cents, for whatever that's worth.

4. Bob Movies

Bob Movies Stunt Coordinator

I saw Gothika on Wednesday, but it was so bad that I didn't even bother writing about it. The perfomances weren't very good, and the plot was ridiculous. It really didn't make much sense, and it was a great example of a boring movie that tried to be scary by having a lot of jump scenes and loud score moments.

It was at 15% when I checked Rotten Tomatoes this morning, and I think that's about right. Avoid, if possible.

BTW, I never saw the trailer before I went to the screening, but it seems like it would be hard to make this one look good.

5. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    Youre right, it did look good but the reviews are terrible and I am staying away!
    As far as Cat in the Hat, if its as good as The live action Grinch, I'll pass no matter what the reviews are.

6. BertFalasco

BertFalasco Supporting Actor

I saw it last night and I enjoyed it. I didn't find it too scary or long either. It seemed someone associated with the making of this film had it big to stick up for patients.

I don't have much time because I have to go to work so I'll edit this and elaborate on more later.

Question : What was the significance of the boy? I had tons of possibilities run through my head, can she now see people with unfinished business? I'd be kind of nervous if I can become possessed at any moment.

7. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Gothika" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Gothika" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

8. Quentin

Quentin Cinematographer

Quentin H
    The boy is a lame attempt to suggest that such a horrible film could have franchise/sequel potential. She's the psychiatrist who sees dead people...and, then solves the crime behind their unjust death.

Just a bad movie...

9. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Not a terrible movie, but certainly overly reliant on jump scares.

Nitpick with spoilers

Sure, her husband and his friend were sadistic killers and rapists, but didn't she still murder her husband without cause? I suppose it may have been let off for temporary insanity.