What's new

*** Official GIRL WITH A PEARL EARRING Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Jan Vermeer's painting comes to life in this film. The look at art in the 17th century and the connection between artist/painter and patron drives much of the backstory of why paintings exist (social standing and vanity drove patrons to seek out talented painter, while painters sought out to make a living by appealing to the wealthy who could sustain them). Many frames of this film feel like paintings in and of themselves, the production values make for interesting gazing. The film tries to get across the idea that while painting is the end product, there is the human cost associated with it, but rarely does it ever enter into the exercise of appreciating the painting itself.

The performances are filled with sparse dialogue, relying on facial expressions and viewer interpretation, and it does its best to show, rather than tell, which is a reflection of its subject matter (art/paintings), so it's understandable of the choice to embrace that concept in telling the story behind the painting "Girl With The Pearl Earring".

This film isn't for everyone, it's very languid and moves at a pace that recalls the adage "You can't rush art".

I give it 3 stars or a grade of B.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
I saw it yesterday, and I pretty much concur with that review. Ebert's review made the good point that the whole movie is largely about the girl being drawn into the world of art, but not quite able to make it because of social class/family jealousy/etc. Just like many people who have hidden talents and/or passions that they never get a chance to pursue fully.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Much more than Lost In Translation, this film shows Scarlett Johannson's potential as an actress. She has to carry most of the film with very little dialogue, and she does an exceptional job.

M.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "Girl With a Pearl Earring". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an Official Discussion Thread.

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks