*** Official GIRL WITH A PEARL EARRING Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Robert Crawford, Feb 1, 2004.

1. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Girl With a Pearl Earring" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Girl With a Pearl Earring" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

2. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Saw this film last night, it was beautiful and I'll probably add it to my collection, but I was disappointed by the pacing near the end.
    Here's my comment/query...
    Why, in 1665, would someone heat up a large needle before piercing an earlobe?

Jim

3. Phil Florian

Phil Florian Screenwriter

Uh, it is pretty easy to figure. This forum is mostly built for techies and this movie isn't going to blow away their $10k soundsystem and HD16X9 television! [​IMG] My wife and I are going to see it this week. I love period movies, as does my wife but she has the edge with the whole lovin'n of Colin Firth. Any chance for a "Bridget Jones 2" preview during this pic or two early?? [​IMG] Can't wait. Does Colin break out of that stoic mode he gets into? I loved him in Jones imiating his performance in Pride and Prejudice but I loved to see him cut loose a bit in Earnest, too.
    Ciao,

Phil

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

If this film is given the treatment it deserves on DVD, it will amply challenge the display capabilities of even the best equipment. The images are consistently detailed, subtle and exquisite. They are what sustain the viewer through a plot that isn't particularly complicated or surprising.

But the real answer to Jim's question is probably that the film is only playing in 402 theaters, and that's the widest it's been to date.

M.

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

It is sort of tough to discuss the film because it's more interesting to look at it and just let the film wash over you.

6. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

I was entranced by a grainy newspaper pic of the original Vermeer painting, side by side with a pic of the actress in this movie in a similar pose.

Anyone know where to get a good scan of the painting, so I can put her on my Mona Lisa slideshow? [​IMG]

7. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I am glad that I didn't know what the actual painting looked like until the very end because I think I might have been distracted because Scarlett doesn't quite look like the girl in the painting (who has rounder eyes, and is a little plainer looking than Scarlett).