*** Official "GHOST SHIP" Review Thread

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nicholas Vargo, Oct 21, 2002.

1. Nicholas Vargo

Nicholas Vargo Second Unit

Nicholas Vargo
    It's well done, but it wasn't really that scary as the previews make it out to be. However, the movie is worth checking out for one of the first scenes alone, which in my opinion is one of the goriest scenes I have ever seen in a movie. It has to be seen to believe. There is also a nice twist at the end of the movie that also makes it worth it, even if the movie on a whole isn't that great. Saw it for free in Camp Pendleton, California so it was well worth it.

My Rating:

**1/2 out of ****

2. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

I saw an advance screening of this tonight and thought it was terrible, but not surprising considering that director Steve Beck's last film was "Thirteen Ghosts" [​IMG]
    The film drags on and on, creating very little tension; whatever "scares" were in the movie were clearly telegraphed, some also containing a "Get Ready!" shock that wasn't even necessary. I wouldn't have jumped either way. [​IMG]
    Regarding the previously mentioned graphic scene, I thought it was done a lot more interestingly and more entertaining in this year's "Resident Evil". [​IMG]
    Jason

3. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "Ghost Ship". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.
    Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!
    If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an Official Discussion Thread.
    Crawdaddy

4. Nicholas Vargo

Nicholas Vargo Second Unit

Nicholas Vargo
    Charles, it's not me who is in the marines. It's my father. He's a retired Master Gunnary Sergeant who served 30 years in the Marines. I go with him to the free movie theater about once a week. The screen there in Camp Pendleton is humungeous, but just as a warning you should know, the sound echoes throughout the theater.

I'm still thinking about the film and in retrospect, maybe I should take a 1/2 star off my rating of **1/2 rating becuase some of it was just too cheesy for my taste. The Warner Bros. logo looked like one you would see on a 1950s film from that studio. That's fine, but it fails to scare about 80% of the time because the cheesiness takes over.

My New Rating:

** out of ****

5. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Completely & utterly mundane & average.

Saw it last night on Halloween with some friends. Some nice sequences, but the plot & acting is completely bland. The ending comes far far too quick. There's little suspense. Random ideas are thrown in & left completely undeveloped. The direction leaves no room for suspense whatsoever.

At least it was short.

6. Brian Kissinger

Brian Kissinger Screenwriter

Sometimes movies come along and you know nothing about them and they amaze you. Sometimes movies come along that you've heard where better than sex, and you come out disappointed. Sometimes movies come out that you've heard where a complete waste of time, and you find yourself having a good time. Ghost Ship manages to fall into this last category for me. I hadn't really heard much of anything positive on it (aside from having a good opening sequence) and I found myself having an enjoyable ride. Sure it's a little thin on suspense. The scenes had little to no build-up. The acting was enough to progress the story, but not much more. Plots holes where to be found to the left and to the right. Nothing much stands out in this picture. But, it doesn't have to. I found this movie to be a throw-back to the good old horror movies of old, where you take some silly premise, add some gore, nudity, jumps, and a little cheese, and you have an omelet. This movie aims to give you some jolts and a good time. And on that, it delivers.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] 1/2