What's new

*** Official "FULL FRONTAL" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I watched Full Frontal tonight and enjoyed the heck out of it. Whether or not he accomplished whatever filmmaking goals he set for himself and his film within film within film concept, I didn't think too much about; I was too busy laughing and enjoying the performances - Nicky Katt's Hitler, David Hyde Pierce for once really acting instead of doing his Frasier shtick, David Duchovney's "stand-up", Catherine Keener showing a little soft side to her usual uber-bitch. The Blair Underwood-Julia Roberts scenes didn't work as well for me, particularly the more overt movie-within movie stuff but on the whole, I'd much rather watch this again over Oceans 11 or Traffic.
The Nicky Katt stuff was very funny, I loved that his cell phone played Wagner. I think I laughed the most at the magazine/beer stuff, "I want this magazine to be like opening a bottle of beer". :D

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I was wondering if the outcome would have been any different if he had said he drank from the bottle instead of the glass. I expect that he would have been told "I want this magazine to be like drinking beer from a glass." :D
So assuming they really were supplying all their own costumes, I also assume that mise en scene pieces like the cell phone were also part of the actor's effort rather than some scripted pre-arranged concept.
I'm just glad to see that I'm not insane for liking this film.
Brook, I hadn't really focused on the film in film reality thing until the final shot. Then it hit me as I thought "aha, Steven, ya got me" :) I thought it was a great touch, very effective by that point. Especially after already bringing "out to reality" when Julia/Blair break their scene midway through the film.
Maybe the film should be viewed as a companion piece to The 13th Floor and eXistenZ. ;)

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Anyone know if the commentary is any good? I wish I'd kept the disc and listened to it.

I wonder who's idea the blow-up globe was?
"Name all the countries in Africa"
"I don't think you can do this"
"Sure I can!"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks