What's new

*** Official "FROM HELL" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
I just saw the movie tonight with my wife. She wasn't aware how violent it would be and was ready to leave in the first 20 minutes. She stuck it out though, and Johnny Depps performance kept us interested throughout. I have to say that I think Depp is one of the most talented actors out there today. His versatility is amazing to me.
I may purchase the dvd, and I bet that there will be some very good extras on the disc as well. We'll have to get some info out of Mr. Staddon!

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
First of all this movie pissed me off. The grape stems, opium addict, WTF?!I dont mind fictionalizing a historical event but do it right ie: Titanic.
The production and cast was wonderful though.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Didn't anyone think the film lacked atmosphere? I mean the deatils were incredible and the sets were outstanding. But it just never stuck a mood. I never senesed any fear when Jack the Ripper was about, almost as if it was all too clinical in its approach. The style and the cutting was too planned and choreographed and didn't flow, kinda like 'Cape Fear' that way.
I agree with the above, I didn't like it, but I didn't dislike it.

Rob T

Screenwriter
I think FH was well done, but was certainly more convoluted than necessary, and laden with a bunch of pointless subplots (espcially the Lesbian one). I did enjoy the underlying story enough to stay interested and found the resolution satisfying. I'd say, a worthy effort and well done as well.
Lesbianism is never a pointless subplot.
biggrin.gif

Rob T

Screenwriter
I may purchase the dvd, and I bet that there will be some very good extras on the disc as well. We'll have to get some info out of Mr. Staddon!
I read a little interview with Allen and Albert Hughes (the directors) a fews days ago and they said that a lot of the stuff that they had to cut out due to the MPAA will be on the DVD!
icon14.gif

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
The Hughes Brothers are huge DVD fans. Their trailer on From Hell was stocked with DVDs, a player and a printer to print out copies of frame grabs (probably to share with their DP and other crew members). I'm sure they'll put extra loving care into the DVD.
M.

Christina_DQ

Stunt Coordinator
.....& the footage cut because of the MPAA better be included IN the movie!!!
I haven't seen the movie yet or read the graphic novel...both of which i'll check out sometime.
But if the movie was censored,...a uncut version should/better be released!!

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
My two cents, and what I'll be submitting to my poor university paper for reviewing :), is that this movie is technically well-done and the attention to detail is great, but it has no depth of character or plot.
I am not saying the movie is bad, just extremely mediocre. The conspiracy stuff seemed like it was lifted from an old episode of the X-Files, honestly. The characters were bland and lacked any notable character traits (except the excellent Robbie Coltrane character, who made me wish I were watching Cracker...) beyond cliche ones like Heather Graham's cringe-worthy 'hooker with a heart of gold'.
And that ending, oof. Besides the fact that the killer was not only dead easy to spot, but he was actually less interesting than his stagecoach driver, I've scarcely witnessed a denouement that was filled with less tension before.
The imdb lists a different ending regarding the fate of Heather Graham's character though, which I'd be interested in seeing since I suspect it's probably darker than the one presented in the movie.
------------------
Mark Evans
Low Rent Movie Critic, Low Rent Home Theater Owner, Low Rent Everything

Vanessa

Stunt Coordinator
I read, I believe in Premiere Magazine, that they shot a happier ending on the request of the studio.

WoodyH

Stunt Coordinator
I read, I believe in Premiere Magazine, that they shot a happier ending on the request of the studio.
So the ending the movie has now is the happier ending? Wow...while I found the movie itself a solid 'good' (i.e., not great, not bad, just middle-of-the-road good without being merely mediocre), the closer it got to the end, the more I enjoyed it, and it was the very end that I was the most impressed with.
Spoiler:As we got more and more shots of Depp in London and Graham in the countryside the more convinced I was that Depp was about to drop everything and run off to her - a nice, neat, pat Hollywood ending. The fact that they didn't do that, and allowed him to give up on being able to be with Graham and die in an opium den instead definitely impressed me - a far less happy, but (for me at least), far more satisfying end to the film.
I'll admit, though, it does make me curious what the previous ending was, if this is the happier ending.
------------------
Woody Hanscom
Link Removed

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
Spoiler:Since the last victim of the Ripper has always been identified as Mary Kelley, I think it's obvious what the alternate ending probably was.
Rob
------------------
"That suits me down to the ground."

David Oliver

Second Unit
Can someone please tell my why Depp's character didn't once tell the women "Oh by the way, if somoene offers you grapes, I know it is quite tempting, but just say no and get the hell out of there."?
The movie was pretty good,it had it's moments but it was certainly lacking something.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I enjoyed the movie but I felt like they made Heather Graham stand out WAY TOO MUCH from the other girls. While I'm sure it was done purposely, I felt it distracted from the atmosphere and look of the rest of the film.
------------------
Todd.
"Ah, mercury, sweetest of the transitional metals..."
- Sealab 2021

Jason Boucher

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't really thought this through because the movie just doesn't interest me enough, but doesn't the lesbian subplot have something to do with the deeper meaning of the movie--that being with the way a male-dominated society treats women?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks